Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Coaching Search 2019

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    From a reliable source close to the baseball program an assistant coach with Wichita St. was in speaking to the athletic dept. regarding the opening. Don't know his name so for what ever its worth.

Deggs, Cannizaro and Gautreau all look really really good. If Cannizaro has cleaned things up then he would be a great hire. Interesting though, Gautreau was hired by Cannizaro at Miss. St.

I sure hope Bab stays on in some capacity. He is a good man and loyal to this university and this community. That's got to be worth something. And I agree about Jake Wells.
    Hmm, just checked Shockers website. Could maybe be Pitching Coach Mike Pelfrey. That would be pretty legit. He was a 9th overall draft pick out of Wichita State and pitched 12 years in the MLB with the Mets and couple other teams.

Default Re: NEW HIRE

I dont think it would be the asst coach from Wichita State......IMO it would be their recent Head Coach. He is from Sulpher. The guy Tony himself groomed to lead early in his career to be his successor at McNeese. He went on from there and put a few skins on wall himself. Had 2 1st round drafts just a couple years ago at a mid major conference, Brahms being in top 3. That gets kids attn.....parents too.

Personality wise he isnt a Tony clone, but after getting to know him.....you know he learned well from Tony, Humble guy, a servant leader.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAlum10 View Post
    Hmm, just checked Shockers website. Could maybe he Pitching Coach Mike Pelfrey. That would be pretty legit. He was a 9th overall draft pick out of Wichita State and pitched 12 years in the MLB with the Mets and couple other teams.
    Quite possibly....ill see if my source knew his name.

Mike (Pelphrey) is a really good dude too. Hands on pitchers coach....irony here he calls someone in my home quite often. Can vouch He follows through, checks in often with his players/recruits.

10+ yrs MLB pitcher....VERY highly regarded in the WSU community. Having Mike as their pitching coach.....would be a similar to having Ron Guidry as ours. Major talent that came home.

The new HC is Eric Wedge, another WSU alum. It was Coach Butler that hired Pelphrey,

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Quite possibly....ill see if my source knew his name.

Ask him if he was tall/lanky like Verlander or if he looked like a middle infielder.

The guy you're talking about is Todd Butler. Recently fired at Wichita State.

Not sure hiring a recently fired coach with a losing record from a mid major with history would go over very well.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAlum10 View Post
    Interesting posts about Deggs on the Sam Houston forum. It seems their fan base is kinda split when it comes to Deggs lately. Reading between the lines, it sounds like maybe they are not thrilled with him pursuing his book deals and motivational speaker engagements and feel as though their team has regressed each year since their Super Regional Appearance.

Not sure what to make of this really... if you look at the overall picture, he still won Southland Regular season Championships 3 of the 5 years he was there, including the last 2 years in a row. Do that here in the Sun Belt and it usually gets you a bid to a Regional depending on RPI of course. Where it appears they are frustrated with him is that the Bear Kats bowed out of the conference tourny the last two years going 1-2 and 0-2 and missed out on Post-Season play.

All that being said, I still love the prospect of Deggs being our #1 guy with all of the extra history he has here and the potential with our program. But, this at least gives me a little pause and makes me consider Gautreau even harder. But alas, I ain't Maggard and I trust his call on this fully. One thing of note though, funny how some here were getting annoyed with Robe's "motivational speaker" career being more prominent over the last few years. Well guess what, if we get Deggs, be prepared for that x2. He already has a book and I follow him on Facebook, he's got paid ads circulating frequently for his book sales. I personally have no problem with it, but perhaps others will see it as a distraction.

For what it's worth, my vote based on Kendall Rogers list would be:
    1. Matt Deggs
    2. Jake Gautreau
    3. Matt Riser
    4. Andy Cannizaro (Only if he truly embraces a second chance and cleans up his act)
    5. Hopefully another candidate besides Hill, I'm not enthralled by him. And Babs doesn't seem to be in the running from what I've heard, I like him in the Administrative roll and would love for him to hang around.

ETA: Please keep Jake Wells on staff. He's proven himself.

Sam Houston forum: http://www.katfans.com/katsforum/sho...609#post391609
    I think that sums up my putting Gautreau first: just seems to me that Deggs has developed a second career as a motivational speaker, etc. This is certainly okay, and coming here might re-focus him, but we wouldn’t have to to worry about any of that with Gautreau. And I’m sure he would fill Maggard’s other requirements. Plus I like the fact that’s ~10 years younger than deggs....might make him hungrier.
    But again, I’d be thrilled with Deggs.....or maybe pleasantly surprised by someone who’s not even on our radar but that maggard picks.

9. Default Re: NEW HIRE

I can't find how much Gautreau is making....anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
    I can't find how much Gautreau is making....anyone know?
    I heard $270K range which is typical for a sec assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I agree. If not for Robe’s sudden passing I don’t think we had much chance luring deggs away. But as time goes on, my hunch that it will be Gautreau keeps growing.
    I think he is the best choice ... Connections in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi he coached at a Cusa school and brought in a #4 class at said school.

He also took Miss state offense to another level.. He would be a grand slam hire

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I think he is the best choice ... Connections in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi he coached at a Cusa school and brought in a #4 class at said school.

He also took Miss state offense to another level.. He would be a grand slam hire
    And I hesitate to say this, because I certainly understand why it is so difficult to do, but if you take emotions out of it, and also not think of coming as close as possible to ‘replacing’ Robe, then hands down Gautreau is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    And I hesitate to say this, because I certainly understand why it is so difficult to do, but if you take emotions out of it, and also not think of coming as close as possible to ‘replacing’ Robe, then hands down Gautreau is the one.
    When he won assistant of the year, everyone commenting said “gautreau is a great coach but he is an even better person”

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    The guy you're talking about is Todd Butler. Recently fired at Wichita State.

Yep.....techically yes. Not what you think. Imagine if an alum.that was MVP in winning the 1979 College WS at your school then later was American League manager of year 2x....and let key influencers know with deep pockets at your alma.mater you would like to come home to manage.....current HC loses 2 1st round all world hitters, your ace pitcher in 3rd round early.....then have an off year.

When I met Coach Butler for the 1at time.....he knew I was feom LA and went to LA but not that I went to ND and knew Tony. Once he knew that we spent well over half our time on official visit weekend talking about his experieces with Tony at McNeeae, fishing, food.....his pledge to me and wife to mentor to my son was simply awesome. Very honest, open dialogue.

Months Before the official visit....Just 3-4 weeks.after Coach Butler offered a scholarship spot.....my son tore his ACL. TAMU coaches immediatley disappeared. TxTech changed offer to Red Shirt. Not Coach Butler....our actual very 1st conversation was a call from him that I was not expecting. He reassured.me that his offer was still good and very much wanted my son at WSU. Beau's doctor was the Tx Rangers team surgeon and he knew all would be fine. Wvwrything a scared kid and parents wanted to hear.

fwiw: i was also in contact with Tony but UL was out of scholarship spots. When my son committed to WSU I let Tony know. He then gave me a very positive endorsement of Coach Butler. I still have the text meassages. Also Tony was no fan of how the acholarship limits worked.....have those text too.

That all said I like Coach Wedge. He is WSU royalty in baseball and he earned it......he caught my class of 82 classmate at Notre Dame in Crowley in AAA in the Red Sox Org. It was very reassuring to learn more about him from a longtime friend during the transition. Coach Butler has since called me to reassure me my son is in good hands with the new staff. 100% Class Act.

So yes he was fired......

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    When he won assistant of the year, everyone commenting said “gautreau is a great coach but he is an even better person”
    That’s great to hear....I don’t know much about that side of him, although everything I’ve read is positive.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information