Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ Joint in Acadiana

Default Re: Best BBQ Joint in Acadiana

What about lil daddy’s on e. Thruway?

2. Default Re: Best BBQ Joint in Acadiana

Quote Originally Posted by cajunbaseball View Post
    If you were starting a barbecue business in Lafayette: would you open a restaurant or go with a food truck? Lunch only or include dinner? Where do you locate (best location for both restaurant and food truck).?
    Dwight's Restaurant has been successful for a few decades with lunch only ... Except during Crawfish season.

Blanchard’s is very good, but pricey...Get there early. East gate is also good. I’ll have to try Johnson’s after reading this thread.

Since graduating, I have lived in Bama, GA, Tenn La and for 20 yrs now TX.

They are all good. My favorite.... I get old man happy pants to this day when I am visiting fam in Crowley and see some locals Q'ing up chicken and pork chop sandwiches for sale. If it were a permanent business it may fail every healrh code known.....don't care. I want me that chicken plate and pork chop sandwich.

If ever in Houma, gotta try Big Mike's !!! Smoked turkey is off the chain !!

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Much bigger mess and it’s probably cheaper to eat them at a restaurant by the time you buy everything and you aren’t gonna do all that to boil half a sack. Boiled crawfish is engrained in our culture like bbq is in Texas. Most people also prefer grilling around here as opposed to what Texans call bbq. Crawfish is also seasonal. You can bbq all year. A lot of reasons. You also go eat crawfish and drink beer, bbq is more drink beer while your doing it:
    Very few Cajuns BBQ anything. They grill stuff and put sauce on it and call it BBQ. I can tolerate Memphis and KC, but NC is garbage. Central Texas is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Very few Cajuns BBQ anything. They grill stuff and put sauce on it and call it BBQ. I can tolerate Memphis and KC, but NC is garbage. Central Texas is the best.
    Agreed, we grill more than anything.

It's not that Cajuns aren't into it low and slow, they do it themselves. We aren't real big into buying other people's bbq. To me bbq'n is more of something to do than something to eat
    I agree. It's not that people around here don't eat BBQ, but everyone around here has their own way and style of BBQ that they prefer. I love Queing on weekends. It's kind of a tradition. My father BBQ'd every weekend. His chicken or steaks were the best and he took great pride in his queing for the family.

I have so many friends that have their own style of BBQ that I just love and wish I could duplicate, but even when I get the recipe, it never tastes the same. I have tried most of the places mentioned in this post, but none match the my personal taste I'm looking for, however, that doesn't stop me from trying every now and then.

Corky's was pretty darn good and was the only chain BBQ place I ate on a regular basis. I should know that one pretty well because I managed it. Memphis style BBQ.

But if you ever get a chance to try Keith Guidry's bbq or Buddy Holliers' bbq ribs, you will want to stop queing for your self and just hire them on a weekly basis to BBQ for you. They are truely masters of the pit.

Agreed, we grill more than anything.
    Yes that is true. If you are cooking over direct heat on a rack you are grilling. Indirect heat at a temperature not over about 220 degrees you are bbqing. A bbq will take 4 to 14 hours to do. Your product should have a visible smoke ring. Bbq sauce is a minimum and not used to add moisture or significant flavor to the meat.

For the large majority Lafayette locals do BBQ like north Louisianians do Cajun...it’s not all that great. Nothing wrong with that either...I’ll put my rice & gravy and seafood dishes up against anyone. It’s who we are.

Four hours+ into the smoke.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Four hours+ into the smoke.
    Not quite half way done. Should be ready for this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Not quite half way done. Should be ready for this evening.
    7 lbs, so I’m thinking 4 to 5ish. Gonna wrap in butcher paper 11am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    7 lbs, so I’m thinking 4 to 5ish. Gonna wrap in butcher paper 11am.
    Yeah buddy. You figure 1.5 hours per pound? What temp do you shoot for.

I’m thinking 190-200 degrees.

Yeah, 90 Minutes per pound. At 7 lbs, should put me at 10 1/2 hours. So with putting it on right before 5am, thinking take off at about 3:30 and let rest for a bit before shedding.

About to put some wings on to have for lunch.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information