Thread: The Surreal End of an American College

1. Default The Surreal End of an American College

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio.s-down/591862/

I thought this was an interesting article, specifically when it comes to the evolution of higher learning. Granted this is a small liberal arts college, but the times are changing. As more universities, including UL, offer more online programs I think we will see bigger universities shut down in the coming years. In the coming years, it will be interesting to see which universities position themselves for financial security and which ones will falter. Perhaps market dynamics will lead to higher education reform, a subject our state leaders have been unwilling to address.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio.s-down/591862/

I thought this was an interesting article, specifically when it comes to the evolution of higher learning. Granted this is a small liberal arts college, but the times are changing. As more universities, including UL, offer more online programs I think we will see bigger universities shut down in the coming years. In the coming years, it will be interesting to see which universities position themselves for financial security and which ones will falter. Perhaps market dynamics will lead to higher education reform, a subject our state leaders have been unwilling to address.
    On this site, I’ve seen advertising regarding online programs for Grand Canyon, Arizona State and even once for Northwestern State just to name a few.

I would hope we’re on the top or to the good side of the bell curve on this one.

Default Re: The Surreal End of an American College

I think we will see more and more on line colleges and with trade salaries rising and demand for trade labor rising I think the college enrollment has peaked. Also the cost of a college education has risen so much that it is putting it out of reach for many. Not to mention that jobs for many of the majors (especially in Liberal arts) are practically non existent. So why get into debt to get a degree that you may not use.

About twenty years ago there was a prediction that in the future, you would either be working at a computer or cleaning up around one. Not quite true, however the computer is ever present. Most of us have a mobile device that we carry round. We mistakenly call it a cell phone while it is actually a computer with a phone app.

4. Default Re: The Surreal End of an American College

thanks for posting.
    as far a s athletics, if players are taking online classes, can room and board be justified as part of their scholarship? would sort of proove they are there for sports not the classes, since classes could be anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    thanks for posting.
    as far a s athletics, if players are taking online classes, can room and board be justified as part of their scholarship? would sort of proove they are there for sports not the classes, since classes could be anywhere
    As far as athletics goes I think you will see a further decline in the student attendance at games because there will be fewer students on campus or they are glued to their mobile devices. Even Alabama is having a hard time getting their students to go to the football games. It's going to make raising money for Cajun Field renovation more difficult and seam like an unwise investment because, no students at games means less involved alumni which means fewer alumni at games. It's not just us it's every school out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    On this site, I’ve seen advertising regarding online programs for Grand Canyon, Arizona State and even once for Northwestern State just to name a few.

I would hope we’re on the top or to the good side of the bell curve on this one.

UL NURSING program has national usage for sure.

The online education platform is going to change the educational model drastically in the next decade. You can actually get a free online high school degree today. I had a neice who chose that route for her junior and senior years. It is self paced and you have assigned teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    The online education platform is going to change the educational model drastically in the next decade. You can actually get a free online high school degree today. I had a neice who chose that route for her junior and senior years. It is self paced and you have assigned teachers.
    You are missing 50% of what makes college so valuable if you do 100% online . networking.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I think we will see more and more on line colleges and with trade salaries rising and demand for trade labor rising I think the college enrollment has peaked. Also the cost of a college education has risen so much that it is putting it out of reach for many. Not to mention that jobs for many of the majors (especially in Liberal arts) are practically non existent. So why get into debt to get a degree that you may not use.

About twenty years ago there was a prediction that in the future, you would either be working at a computer or cleaning up around one. Not quite true, however the computer is ever present. Most of us have a mobile device that we carry round. We mistakenly call it a cell phone while it is actually a computer with a phone app.
    You’re right that it is trending in that direction, but the benefits of a college degree still far outweigh the costs. College grads still earn about a million more over their lifetimes than those who didn’t graduate.

That prediction you mentioned is still going to come true. Over the past 30 years computers and machines obliterated blue collar jobs. And over the next 20 years they will decimate all the white collar jobs. It will be an interesting couple decades to say the least.

Thread Information