Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Flood

1. Default Lafayette Flood

5:30am Streets of Lafayette are flooding everywhere. Johnston, Moss, Evangeline Thruway.

Picture of University at Johnston.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Lafayette Flood

By far the worst rain event we have seen since August of 2016. Certainly not near the extent of damage but seems some areas are getting hit pretty hard.

The Vermilion River gauge at LA 733 (E. Broussard Rd.) went from 3.57 feet yesterday morning to 14.04 feet this morning. Still a ways from the 19.6 feet of August 2016.

Default Re: Lafayette Flood

this is at Surrey Street.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/u.ate=2019-06-06

this is at la 733

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/uv?site_no=07386940

As of 8:00 a.m. this morning water surface elevations at 733 is 14.4 and at Surrey is 11.6. that means 733 is 2.8 higher than Surrey street. Water is flowing into the swamp north of the airport.

Thankfully it didnt sit on top of us like 2016. That seemed like 40 days and 40 nights

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

3.35 inches of rain from 5am-6am at LFT. That is the definition of torrential.

6. Default Re: Lafayette Flood

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    3.35 inches of rain from 5am-6am at LFT. That is the definition of torrential.
    River Rd bridge in Abb has water almost to the road.Abb to Maurice very wet!

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    this is at Surrey Street.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/u.ate=2019-06-06

this is at la 733

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/la/nwis/uv?site_no=07386940

As of 8:00 a.m. this morning water surface elevations at 733 is 14.4 and at Surrey is 11.6. that means 733 is 2.8 higher than Surrey street. Water is flowing into the swamp north of the airport.
    In terms of some future dredging of the Vermilion, would they take flow reversal into account?
    I read that flow reversal had reached Amb Caffery in 2008 and south of E Broussard in 2016. Would they dredge south of that? It seems like dredging north of those spots would make the flow into Cypress Island/Pine Island Swamp worse. But then again maybe that is a good thing. So many questions.

8. Default Re: Lafayette Flood

In terms of some future dredging of the Vermilion, would they take flow reversal into account?
    I read that flow reversal had reached Amb Caffery in 2008 and south of E Broussard in 2016. Would they dredge south of that? It seems like dredging north of those spots would make the flow into Cypress Island/Pine Island Swamp worse. But then again maybe that is a good thing. So many questions.
    I was listening to a local personality a few days ago and that person said the flow reversal of the Vermillion was a myth. The opinion is that the under current becomes so ferocious below, the top of the water appears to be flowing backward, creating the illusion. I'm assuming that's wrong?

Also, have we considered the disposal cost of the silt and mud, now that the River bottoms are designated "toxic waste"?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I was listening to a local personality a few days ago and that person said the flow reversal of the Vermillion was a myth. The opinion is that the under current becomes so ferocious below, the top of the water appears to be flowing backward, creating the illusion. I'm assuming that's wrong?

Also, have we considered the disposal cost of the silt and mud, now that the River bottoms are designated "toxic waste"?
    Something fills the swamp.
    The figure that I saw for dredging was ~35 million. I would think that would be start to finish including disposal, etc. FEMA paid out over 350 million for 2016 flood. Of course, that 35 million will be 70 million when/if it comes to fruition.

10. Default Re: Lafayette Flood

Something fills the swamp.
    The figure that I saw for dredging was ~35 million. I would think that would be start to finish including disposal, etc. FEMA paid out over 350 million for 2016 flood. Of course, that 35 million will be 70 million when/if it comes to fruition.
    You get the crane and barges, I'll open up a "value" disposal facility.

I will address this later. Kind of busy right now

Your assumption is correct.

Imgaine the price you could get for that stuff after it air's out.

But dredging the vermilion is a must not only for drainage but revitalizing intercoastal city and vermilion parish

Price just went up by 10 million. Probably need some kind of "brother in law permit" from Iberia Parish.

15. Default Re: Lafayette Flood

As a teenager I farmed corn on the Vermilion River.

I saw debris floating North during a drought.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information