Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

No doubt renovation projects are unpredictable and renovating Cajun Field will be no different. As stated earlier in this thread any renovation effort should attempt to diversify how Cajun Field can be used besides for football games generating more revenues. Maybe work some academic and office space into the update to help tap into other State funding sources. Most of us already gave detailed feedback in the fan surveys. Am anxious to hear more definitive plan on new vision for the stadium.

BMO field was built in 2006 for 63.9 million today it would be 75 million to build. This stadium seats about 30k expanded in 2016 to seat 40k. It is worth the build if we can get a MLS team to come to Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I think they have found that there are large voids below the concrete in the lower section due to poor maintenance of the joints in the concrete. It may be that they will have to replace that section of the stadium before anything else. I have noticed that the perimeter retaining wall has a significant tilt to the field in several locations. That is telling me that the lower bowl is sliding to the field. Saturday night I noticed that the concrete slab in the lower concourse is very uneven. More indication of foundation issues with the lower bowl. The upper deck is on a deep foundation so the foundation issues with the lower bowl should not affect the upper deck. If I was responsible for the structure I would be keeping a keen eye on the lower bowl and slab of the lower bowl. There is a reason why they have placed steel plates over the displaced joints of the concourse slab. Severe trip hazard there. I think they have placed the steel plates on the joints instead of replacing the slabs for fear of what they might find below it. Next game go to the lower bowl, find the joint at the fifty yard line and look down. Don't drop anything down that joint, you won't get it back.

If they have a structural engineer looking at it I am sure he feels that it is safe or it would have been condemned. I have done that a couple of times, owner wasn't happy but too bad.
    I don’t want to give away specifics because I wasn’t explicitly given permission to, but I’ll say this. You are 100% right about all the issues you pointed out, but there are other issues you didn’t notice. The ENTIRE stadium has issues.

A structural engineer has indeed looked at the stadium and deemed it to be safe. but not before work was done to reinforce certain parts of the structure. The question is how much longer it will remain safe. We obviously don’t want to integrate a $30-40 million dollar addition into a structure if it isn’t structurally sound enough to last another decade.

4. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    . . . We obviously don't want to integrate a $30-40 million dollar addition into a structure if it isn't structurally sound enough to last another decade.
    "another decade" is not close to long enough to merit spending any money of substance.

5. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

I saw exposed rebar (with the concrete having fallen away) on the upper deck in 2002.

I can only imagine what I would find if I looked with a critical eye today.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I don't want to give away specifics because I wasn't explicitly given permission to, but I'll say this. You are 100% right about all the issues you pointed out, but there are other issues you didn't notice. The ENTIRE stadium has issues.

A structural engineer has indeed looked at the stadium and deemed it to be safe. but not before work was done to reinforce certain parts of the structure. The question is how much longer it will remain safe. We obviously don't want to integrate a $30-40 million dollar addition into a structure if it isn't structurally sound enough to last another decade.
    It's not that I didn't notice the other issues, I just didn't mention them. I think the real name for the stadium should be "ageing field".

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    It's not that I didn't notice the other issues, I just didn't mention them. I think the real name for the stadium should be "ageing field".
    Sorta like me an aging Cajun.

It’s President Savoie’s and the Athletic Departments responsibly to have secured the funds to begin Cajun Field renovation once all details are finalized. This is not a new issue and one that needs to be resolved immediately “to compete at the highest level.” This is President Savoie’s legacy, he has made significant improvements to our campus. Cajun Field can be the crown jewel of the athletic campus.

UL Football Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

There will not be a parking garage at Cajun Field. The cost of a parking garage is staggering compared to the stadium

Dr. Maggard and Dr. Savoie both know that delaying the upgrade/new stadium will only increase the cost.

Some people laughed at ULM wanting bingo night to raise money, now the suggestions are to put donation cans around Cajun Field and tarps to make the stadium look full. How about we just play Lamar and McNeese every year.

Come on people, think BIG!

10. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    There will not be a parking garage at Cajun Field. The cost of a parking garage is staggering compared to the stadium

Dr. Maggard and Dr. Savoie both know that delaying the upgrade/new stadium will only increase the cost.

Some people laughed at ULM wanting bingo night to raise money, now the suggestions are to put donation cans around Cajun Field and tarps to make the stadium look full. How about we just play Lamar and McNeese every year.

Come on people, think BIG!
    Leave it to the Rock. Mel, you nailed it.

ULM bingo nights and La Tech’s blue tarps. WTH has this fan board brought us down to at this great time in the history of Cajun football.

We just need to build exactly what Nashville FC is building for their MLS stadium. Just over 30,000 seats. It's absolutely amazing.

Build it right the first time and don't worry about it. If we do it right it will anchor the athletic complex and could be the center of an entertainment district.

https://youtu.be/6_YS9VeJkG4

12. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    We just need to build exactly what Nashville FC is building for their MLS stadium. Just over 30,000 seats. It's absolutely amazing.

Build it right the first time and don't worry about it. If we do it right it will anchor the athletic complex and could be the center of an entertainment district.

https://youtu.be/6_YS9VeJkG4
    The entertainment district that Martin Hall is currently fcuking up?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Same one lol

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I’m telling you, a stadium like that where Cajun Field currently sits would be incredible. Build an entertainment district and feature events. Outdoor concerts, MLS games, LHSAA championships. The list goes on.

15. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I’m telling you, a stadium like that where Cajun Field currently sits would be incredible. Build an entertainment district and feature events. Outdoor concerts, MLS games, LHSAA championships. The list goes on.
    Couldn't agree more. And everyone in the athletic offices want this.

If we can just get TJOE & the gang to trim their ear shrubbery and listen to reason.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread Information