Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

1. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    How much would it cost to wait until it’s condemned or deemed unsafe and have to miss a season or 2 and play elsewhere?
    Well, we allow 50k cars a day to drive over a 6.6/100 rated bridge in this state, so it would have to be pretty bad for that to happen. haha

But no, of course we should do it. We have one shot at mattering beyond 2024, and that shot includes a renovated football stadium.

Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Well, we allow 50k cars a day to drive over a 6.6/100 rated bridge in this state, so it would have to be pretty bad for that to happen. haha

But no, of course we should do it. We have one shot at mattering beyond 2024, and that shot includes a renovated football stadium.
    If you're talking about Lake Chuck bridge.Shell put out a notice that NO employees or contractors of theirs are allowed to cross that bridge.unreal.

20 years ago when we were doing volunteer work at the stadium, we noted a lot of water damage that between the upper and lower deck. They cannot ignore this forever without consequence.

4. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    If you're talking about Lake Chuck bridge.Shell put out a notice that NO employees or contractors of theirs are allowed to cross that bridge.unreal.
    That's unbelievable. Good Ole Lousyana.

5. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    20 years ago when we were doing volunteer work at the stadium, we noted a lot of water damage that between the upper and lower deck. They cannot ignore this forever without consequence.
    It's my personal opinion that total demo & rebuild should be the route we take. I am not in favor of spending $40-50 million to renovate when we can have a spanking new facility for $80-90 Mil. I realize all the variables (economy/TV contract/Napier tenure/etc) but purely from a financial standpoint, (and from a PR standpoint - You can sell the schlt out of a brand new stadium; You know how Acadiana loves something new) it makes more sense to start over. Look at all the hassle that went into the first phase of the Tigue. Sifting through all of that infrastructure. Time/money/frustration.

It's my personal opinion that total demo & rebuild should be the route we take. I am not in favor of spending $40-50 million to renovate when we can have a spanking new facility for $80-90 Mil. I realize all the variables (economy/TV contract/Napier tenure/etc) but purely from a financial standpoint, (and from a PR standpoint - You can sell the schlt out of a brand new stadium; You know how Acadiana loves something new) it makes more sense to start over. Look at all the hassle that went into the first phase of the Tigue. Sifting through all of that infrastructure. Time/money/frustration.
    I am really concerned that when / if a renovation is undertaken, they may find issues that drive the cost up just to get up to code and make the stadium safe. New would be better, but I am not sure there is an appetite in Louisiana to get that done at this time.

The upper deck for sure needs to be ripped out due to structural issues

Outside of ADA compliance, does the lower bowl have any structural issues?

8. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

I am really concerned that when / if a renovation is undertaken, they may find issues that drive the cost up just to get up to code and make the stadium safe. New would be better, but I am not sure there is an appetite in Louisiana to get that done at this time.
    You're probably right. It's imperative that Billy win BIG this season and/or next. We need to energize the base in a major way, for the sake of this renovation.

I agree that there are hidden issues in that foundation, which is another reason why I think starting over is the plan. If we budget $50 mil and then incur another $5-10 in unforeseen issues, what did we really accomplish? It's just apparent to me that we have one crack at this thing. Really all of it. Napier, stadium, realignment and/or TV relationships, and overall positioning within FBS. Let's get it right for once.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    The upper deck for sure needs to be ripped out due to structural issues

Outside of ADA compliance, does the lower bowl have any structural issues?
    The student side alone has state compliance concerns including plumbing and electrical. I was told they would have to spend $9 Mil to $10 Mil at today's cost to address it. The upper deck will be torn down and probably not rebuilt. As per Maggard, they are looking at similar stadium construction like Rice or SMU.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The student side alone has state compliance concerns including plumbing and electrical. I was told they would have to spend $9 Mil to $10 Mil at today's cost to address it. The upper deck will be torn down and probably not rebuilt. As per Maggard, they are looking at similar stadium construction like Rice or SMU.
    I could live with a stadium like SMU

This is what I think will happen.

It will be a total rebuild like MAT wants, but it will be in phases like Maggard has already said.

The SEZ is up to code. That will be left alone. The upper deck will be torn down and a new structure built in such a manner that has minimal effect on the current, home side seating.

The next phase will probably be getting the home side seating up to code.

The next phase will either be addressing the student side seating code issues, or doing a NEZ, then addressing the student side seating.

End result after this multi year, multi phase project is a completely new structure.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    This is what I think will happen.

It will be a total rebuild like MAT wants, but it will be in phases like Maggard has already said.

The SEZ is up to code. That will be left alone. The upper deck will be torn down and a new structure built in such a manner that has minimal effect on the current, home side seating.

The next phase will probably be getting the home side seating up to code.

The next phase will either be addressing the student side seating code issues, or doing a NEZ, then addressing the student side seating.

End result after this multi year, multi phase project is a completely new structure.
    Agree with most of that. Just thinking they may tackle NEZ along with new press box/suite phase.

13. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by shof View Post
    Agree with most of that. Just thinking they may tackle NEZ along with new press box/suite phase.
    Press Box MUST be involved in the earliest phases.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCajun View Post
    I could live with a stadium like SMU
    I love the horseshoe design of SMU and think is much better than bowling in the NEZ and having to put tarps on them.

Asking this from the perspective of not knowing what the game plan is for eventual capacity, so I'm making an assumption.

Can we get up to 40,000 with only one level AND without closing in the NEZ?

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information