Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Guys, the wheels are still turning. I promise.
    Agree

Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Raced out of town, they were raced out of town to protect us good folks from the evils of gambling. What a crock.
    ED left Lafayette Parish on their own. They weren’t forced out

3. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLeblanc View Post
    ED left Lafayette Parish on their own. They weren't forced out
    I would think that being told you can’t have gaming machines in this parish is what forced them out.

I am not sure why Boomer keeps bring up the former tax on ED. That is a ancient history and will never happen again. We may as well let that dog rest.

5. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I am not sure why Boomer keeps bring up the former tax on ED. That is a ancient history and will never happen again. We may as well let that dog rest.
    I do not know the exact funding methodology, but it would have been great to have kept the monies as were needed to fund upkeeps etc.can you tell us where the funds were coming from and if it was state money or a local tax or what the deal was???

The big fallout will happen in 2025. Television rights will be negotiated in 2024.

It takes 2 years to build or remodel a stadium. If we dont have a stadium model, timeline and funding by the end of the 2020 season, I would be okay with not remodeling the facility until our college football future has been determined.

If we are moving on with the big boy (one can dream), we should move forward with the best 35K seat stadium we can build.

If we are relegated to a more watered down G5 or FCS, we should remodel the current stadium with no more than 20K-23K seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I do not know the exact funding methodology, but it would have been great to have kept the monies as were needed to fund upkeeps etc.can you tell us where the funds were coming from and if it was state money or a local tax or what the deal was???
    I don't remember if the money from Evangeline Downs was for the building of the stadium or for paving the parking lot. The stadium was built with very little paved parking area. It was a temporary tax. When the work was paid for the tax ended. I remember Edwin Edwards making a statement at halftime of the game that he was going to pave the parking lot. If it rained during the game they had to get tow trucks to pull the cars out. Imagine if that was the case today. We might have 1000 people at the game.

I would suspect that the only way the stadium gets repaired is to get a lot of people to write some checks. Until that happens, we need to find something else to discuss. Do the math. If we got every season ticket holder to write a check for $1,000.00 or $10,000.00 or even $100,000.00 we are no where close to the money we need. They need to get a lot of people to write a lot of checks. Given the situation right now, it will be tough. We struggle to get 20,000 people to a game. I am not optimistic.

We know where we are, we know where we want to be (or would like to be). the question is how we get from where we are to where we want to be. IF driving a Mercedes is your goal but all you can afford is a used Chevy you got a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I don't remember if the money from Evangeline Downs was for the building of the stadium or for paving the parking lot. The stadium was built with very little paved parking area. It was a temporary tax. When the work was paid for the tax ended. I remember Edwin Edwards making a statement at halftime of the game that he was going to pave the parking lot. If it rained during the game they had to get tow trucks to pull the cars out. Imagine if that was the case today. We might have 1000 people at the game.

I would suspect that the only way the stadium gets repaired is to get a lot of people to write some checks. Until that happens, we need to find something else to discuss. Do the math. If we got every season ticket holder to write a check for $1,000.00 or $10,000.00 or even $100,000.00 we are no where close to the money we need. They need to get a lot of people to write a lot of checks. Given the situation right now, it will be tough. We struggle to get 20,000 people to a game. I am not optimistic.

We know where we are, we know where we want to be (or would like to be). the question is how we get from where we are to where we want to be. IF driving a Mercedes is your goal but all you can afford is a used Chevy you got a problem.
    The ED tax was definitely to build the stadium. Don't know if it was later expanded to include paving the parking lot. Edgar Mouton was largely responsible for getting it through the legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post

We just need to get 500,000 people to donate $100. It’s that simple.

Welp.I think it’s safe to say no big donations are going to be given anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Welp.I think it’s safe to say no big donations are going to be given anytime soon
    .first thing I thought of as soon as I saw the news this morning.

Lafayette should have done a better job of diversifying its economy.

Can a University buy lottery tickets? Might be our best bet to get the stadium built. 😩

It wasn't going to happen regardless. Have you driven around highway 90 between Broussard and New Iberia? Been to the port of Iberia lately.

13. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Saudi Arabia decided we’re not getting a new stadium today.

14. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Russia, Russia, Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    What if we use the press box as a Corona hospital and have to destroy it afterwards. Feds would have to buy us a new one

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread Information