Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . LastLast

Thread: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

After reading all these posts, there are three take aways. 1. It can’t happen soon enough. 2. No matter the plan, someone will claim to have a better idea, and 3. thank goodness Maggard is driving the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The very first thing that needs to happen?
    We need to elect people in state leadership that know how to bring jobs and investment back to the state of Louisiana. Without that, we're all screwed.
    That is as likely as Lafayette getting a MLS franchise. Louisiana does not have the corporate base to make this happen. The only way a new stadium is built is if the University does some shady private/public venture or if they beg Gayle Benson for 20MM. I know Lafayette is a great town, but it is not worthy of a 70+MM entertainment district to the people with the purse strings.

3. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    That is as likely as Lafayette getting a MLS franchise. Louisiana does not have the corporate base to make this happen. The only way a new stadium is built is if the University does some shady private/public venture or if they beg Gayle Benson for 20MM. I know Lafayette is a great town, but it is not worthy of a 70+MM entertainment district to the people with the purse strings.
    $70+MM is a drop in the bucket. Small investment for your 3rd largest city/metro area & second largest enrollment in the state. If it's state money, they'll want to attach a tourism tax to the area. Fine. People keep saying Lafayette is a dying town. It's a town in transition. It's time to shift our focus to evolving revenue streams, which we've been doing over the last 5 years. Sure, it's out of necessity, but it's happening regardless. If you want to say that CFB is changing, I'm willing to listen to that, but that's even more of a reason to have the multi use facility and entertainment district. It will enhance the CFB experience and maintain a year around presence that we need to drive dollars to the center of Lafayette.

There is no way that an entertainment district near Cajun Field will work or become a benefit. It could take up valuable parking space and folks would probably not be able to park at the front doors of the businesses. We already know that, based on what we have been able to read here on this forum, people here in the Acadiana area are unable or unwilling to walk more than 25-30 yards to get to anywhere. Asking them to pay a small fee to park closer would certainly drive them off of the cliff! LOL!

5. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    The existing slope is too steep for code. It needs to be less steep like the NEZ seating.
    If the lower deck is considered steep, the top of the upper deck must be labeled a vertical climb.

6. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

$70+MM is a drop in the bucket. Small investment for your 3rd largest city/metro area & second largest enrollment in the state. If it's state money, they'll want to attach a tourism tax to the area. Fine. People keep saying Lafayette is a dying town. It's a town in transition. It's time to shift our focus to evolving revenue streams, which we've been doing over the last 5 years. Sure, it's out of necessity, but it's happening regardless. If you want to say that CFB is changing, I'm willing to listen to that, but that's even more of a reason to have the multi use facility and entertainment district. It will enhance the CFB experience and maintain a year around presence that we need to drive dollars to the center of Lafayette.
    OVER BLOATED GOBBLETYGOOK.

7. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    I am down renovating Cajun Field. Problem is it is only used 5 times a year we need something that can be extra revenue for Cajun Field.

Gotta think Cajun Dome. They have tried to make Cajun Dome profitable between Ice Hockey to Arena Football.
    The Cajun Dome could have been way more profitable than it had been.

Gotta think bigger, think community.

Yearly, Greg Davis would turn down multi day events that would have packed hotels and restaurants simply because they didn't want concessions.

8. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Yearly, Greg Davis would turn down multi day events that would have packed hotels and restaurants simply because they didn't want concessions.
    The Cajun Dome director was a black cloud over the Cajun Dome and in effect the City of LAFAYETTE. How he lasted so long nobody knows.

Why didn’t the university make him take on those events or fire him??

They do “own” the Cajundome according to you

I feel like the cajundome has had more events in the last 6 months than the last 6 years

You know I love Acadiana and I plan on retiring there in the next year or so. Having said that, Lafayette is a small city that just does not have enough business or industry. Offshore oil drilling is done as long as $55
    a barrel oil is the rule. The Hospital industry is good but I suspect it will not continue to expand and really what else is there? Lafayette just does not have the infrastructure to attract new large employers. I live in the DFW metroplex and new businesses are moving here all of the time. The reasons are low taxes, DFW airport, Alliance International Freight Airport, fantastic schools for employees kids, entertainment options, (I.E.Broadway type show, Opera, Texas World Speedway etc
    ) and I could go on and on. As a frequent visitor to Lafayette it amazes me how difficult it is to get around town for small city. I am not trying to be a downer, but I do not think some people realize the challenges that are faced in terms of attracting business and jobs to Lafayette; hence the difficult job the fund raisers have trying to raise the likes of 60 million dollars. I hope it can be done but it will not be a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination

12. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    You know I love Acadiana and I plan on retiring there in the next year or so. Having said that, Lafayette is a small city that just does not have enough business or industry. Offshore oil drilling is done as long as $55
    a barrel oil is the rule. Lafayette just does not have the infrastructure to attract new large employers. I live in the DFW metroplex and new businesses are moving here all of the time. The reasons are low taxes, DFW airport, Alliance International Freight Airport, fantastic schools for employees kids, entainment options, (I.E.Broadway type show, Opera, Texas Qorld Speedway etc
    ) and I could go on and on. As a frequent visitor to Lafayette it amazes me how difficult it is to get around town for small city. I am not trying to be a downer, but I do not think some people realize the challenges that are faced in terms of attracting business and jobs to Lafayette; hence the difficult job the fund raisers have trying to raise the likes of 60 million dollars. I hope it can be done but it will not be a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination
    Can't argue with any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I feel like the cajundome has had more events in the last 6 months than the last 6 years
    That it has it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    a barrel oil is the rule. The Hospital industry is good but I suspect it will not continue to expand and really what else is there? Lafayette just does not have the infrastructure to attract new large employers. I live in the DFW metroplex and new businesses are moving here all of the time. The reasons are low taxes, DFW airport, Alliance International Freight Airport, fantastic schools for employees kids, entertainment options, (I.E.Broadway type show, Opera, Texas World Speedway etc
    This guy knows what's up.

15. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

This guy don’t!!!!!!

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 . LastLast

Thread Information