Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . LastLast

Thread: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

1. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun fan1 View Post
    You have been blocked lol 😂😂😂😂😂
    Who cares. It’s pretty funny that the almighty LITTLE MAN of Ragin Pagin who has proclaimed over and over and over again to have OWNED ME, is hiding in his little cave with his little block. Fricken damn hillarious.

Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Reality check.

They've had tons of meetings about fund raising. We cannot raise that kind of money it would take to build a new stadium. Nor can we raise enough money to do the proper renovations to Cajun Field all at the same time.

And, raising money is about building relationships. Three major RCAF folks have left and the new staff will need time to build those relationships

Dr. Maggard has said publicly the goal right now is to raise enough money to take care of the west side of the stadium.

That's where we are at this time.
    Bottom line, no one will trust outside fundraisers that move around every few years!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    All sounds great. And I hope it works out that way.

My macro point was, there needs to be a composite plan in place prior to renovating/rebuilding, but the Stadium needs to be the project that drives the push.
    And there is a plan for an entertainment/shopping, none of that can happen without the design of the stadium. The stadium project drives everything. For too long we have build building in the way of future projects. We did not plan for the future and now we are. Let the ____ing professionals do their job, that is what they are being paid for. We can not build in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Who cares. It’s pretty funny that the almighty LITTLE MAN of Ragin Pagin who has proclaimed over and over and over again to have OWNED ME, is hiding in his little cave with his little block. Fricken damn hillarious.
    Stay on topic man. You were on a good run, but you can’t resist can you?

5. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Stay on topic man. You were on a good run, but you can't resist can you?
    I am always on the topic. Don’t get too comfortable.

Sorry for all the post and coming off sounding like an _______, but those that know me well know that I am an _______. This has been some great dialogue/ideas and I am not trying to crush that conversation. We need to be realistic with the amount of money we can raise and know that our athletic department is in very, very good hands with Dr. Maggard. He thinks outside of the box.

Last edited by MelRock; September 18th, 2019 at 11:43 am. Reason: I can't spell

7. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Sorry for all the post and coming off sound like an _______, but those that know me well know that I am an _______. This has been some great dialogue/ideas and I am not trying to crush that conversation. We need to be realistic with the amount of money we can raise and know that our athletic department is in very, very good hands with Dr. Maggard. He thinks outside of the box.
    You're by far my favorite _______.

All sounds great. And I hope it works out that way.

My macro point was, there needs to be a composite plan in place prior to renovating/rebuilding, but the Stadium needs to be the project that drives the push. I would like to see the entire entertainment district & Stadium overhaul presented to the public at the same time. In detail, and with realistic target dates. I know we are still pretty far from that, but when the time is right, IMO, this would be the most effective route.
    Our current economic climate is in no shape to support large-scale development like this at the moment, and it won't be for at least 5-10 years. if ever. We are currently a dying town. Job numbers, tax revenue, and housing prices are falling consistently. Nobody is going to commit to large scale investment in a climate like this.

Also, Cajun Field has 8 or 9 dates per year. I am very skeptical that a renovation will increase that number. On the other hand, the Cajundome & Convention Center probably has 80. In order for a real entertainment district to have a chance, it would probably have to be designed along a redeveloped, pedestrian friendly Cajundome Blvd. in order to capture the foot traffic coming to events at the Cajundome.

9. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Our current economic climate is in no shape to support large-scale development like this at the moment, and it won't be for at least 5-10 years. if ever. We are currently a dying town. Job numbers, tax revenue, and housing prices are falling consistently. Nobody is going to commit to large scale investment in a climate like this.

Also, Cajun Field has 8 or 9 dates per year. I am very skeptical that a renovation will increase that number. On the other hand, the Cajundome & Convention Center probably has 80. In order for a real entertainment district to have a chance, it would probably have to be designed along a redeveloped, pedestrian friendly Cajundome Blvd. in order to capture the foot traffic coming to events at the Cajundome.
    "Someone" has already committed to it. Our people are the ones sitting on their hands.

"Someone" has already committed to it. Our people are the ones sitting on their hands.
    I am aware of people who are looking to build on the property. But are you saying UL has proposals for large scale development?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    MLS in Lafayette is a pipe dream. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take from what MLS and MiLB does right with regards to districting and planning that make the game experience so much better.
    While professor is right, this is the takehome point i was trying to make. We need to learn and be ahead of the curve instead of using the bowled in vanilla stadium farmer drew up.

12. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

I am aware of people who are looking to build on the property. But are you saying UL has proposals for large scale development?
    If you're aware of 'people' wanting to build on the property, then presumably, you're aware of the groups involved. If you're aware of the groups involved, you know the answer to that question.

13. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

All is in place. Just need the nod from Martin Hall.

I think the stadium renovation has to be approved and started on before we develop Cajun Field. JMO

That way the area can be developed at one time, with plans in place so we don’t mess this up.

I don’t agree with selling the land, but do agree leasing the land for development.

If you're aware of 'people' wanting to build on the property, then presumably, you're aware of the groups involved. If you're aware of the groups involved, you know the answer to that question.
    I'm only aware of businesses looking to build on the property. I wasn't aware of anyone looking at large scale redevelopment.

I will say this though. UL missed every opportunity to have this done already. In the last 20 years they built LEDA, the LITE Center, CGI, a hotel, and 3 federal government agencies on the property next door. They also built hundreds of apartment-style dorms closer to campus. These are all the components people look for when creating a successful mixed use development. You have people working jobs during the day, people staying in hotels and living in apartments at night, and regular events that draw in lots of people from the area. Unfortunately, we didn't have the foresight to see what that area could have become.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 . LastLast

Thread Information