Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

1. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    In Lafayette, we spend an exorbitant amount of time trying to enhance downtown as the entertainment district. Unfortunately we would need developers from out of town to come in to Lafayette that are willing to think out of the box. And then we would need a President that is willing to embrace it.
    The development team that is interested in doing the work is very far removed from Lafayette.

And downtown spending goes a lot deeper than just misappropriated funds; you know that. Purely political and the people making those decisions are mostly in it for personal gain. Including redistricting. Our stadium & entertainment district need to be handled by capitalists; not bureaucratic eunuchs. Separate RCAF from the Foundation NOW!

2. Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    The only way we can get this done is to get the city of Lafayette involved, Just like the Cajundome, we would have to lease the land to the city , get something here to justify the cost of a new stadium, we should be trying to get soccer, rugby, cricket anything that can be used at the new complex
    Please elaborate. I don't think it's the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Please elaborate. I don't think it's the only way.
    Unless we can secure the funds of 70 million to renovate the stadium. I just don’t see it happening, maybe I am wrong. Getting 18k a game is just enough to run the athletic dept., not build or renovate Cajun Field.

Default Re: UL has big decision to make on Cajun Field renovation

Until the stadium upgrades are decided, you should not build the entertainment/shopping part. Our guys are thinking of the future not just one part of the design. This has been the problem in the past. By building the entertainment/shopping part without a plan for the stadium you are going to limit what you can do with the stadium. The stadium is the focal point of the complex, get the plans and start before you decide on the what is going where in entertainment/shopping part.

There is a process they are going through to do it the right way and they are doing that. Everyone at the university knows that funding needs to come from out side sources, but you have to have a plan. Once stadium plans are complete they can move forward with the other parts of the complex. We can not build in a shell.

Reality check.

They've had tons of meetings about fund raising. We cannot raise that kind of money it would take to build a new stadium. Nor can we raise enough money to do the proper renovations to Cajun Field all at the same time.

And, raising money is about building relationships. Three major RCAF folks have left and the new staff will need time to build those relationships

Dr. Maggard has said publicly the goal right now is to raise enough money to take care of the west side of the stadium.

That's where we are at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    The only way we can get this done is to get the city of Lafayette involved, Just like the Cajundome, we would have to lease the land to the city , get something here to justify the cost of a new stadium. We should be trying to get soccer, rugby, cricket anything that can be used at the new complex

There are small towns in MLS
    Chester, Pennsylvania 33k people
    Team: Philadelphia Union

Commerce City, Colorado 45k people
    Team: Colorado Rapids
    You do realize those are suburbs of large cities right? Because that’s not the way you conveyed it

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Hell no! That's not a football stadium. I don't mind considering cutting edge designs, but I have no interest in playing in a football stadium that looks like it belongs in South Africa or England. There are many designs that are available that we can use to build something unique here in Lafayette.
    You’re completely missing what makes the MLS stadiums incredible. They aren’t build for capacity. We don’t need more than 35k here anyway. They are 100% designed for fan experience. They are designed with sight lines as the number one consideration. Cajun Field has terrible sight lines if you are below row 20 in the lower bowl.

They have standing areas designed into the stadium, which is a bar. Imagine if Legends or Pete’s would sponsor a bar area inside of Cajun Field where people could drink at a bar setting and watch the game. Attractions inside the stadium to draw people in. It is something MLS and MiLB have done that makes a huge impact on attendance.

Nashville’s stadium holds 30,500. Which would be a little smaller than I’d like to see only by 2000 or so seats. The current layout of Cajun Field lends itself perfectly to something like that.

I’d like to see the entire lower bowl completely redone. Steepen the embankments and have the lower seating be a little more vertical. Then a much smaller upper deck on both sides between the 30’s that has 12-15 rows of seats. With a canopy covering the whole thing. Chairback the entire stadium and make them comfortable. They don’t need to be 16” seats. Give fans a little room to breathe and make this place the crown jewel of college football in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    Austin, St. Louis, Nashville don't seem like world beaters. I didn't say it would happen, just that if it was possible and would bring an mls team, our football team would be better for it and have a state of the art facility
    Austin, St. Louis, Nashville?? lol
    You need to check out the population of those metro areas. They are about 4 times as big as Lafayette at least. St. Louis is metro alone is around 5m people

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    Austin, St. Louis, Nashville don't seem like world beaters. I didn't say it would happen, just that if it was possible and would bring an mls team, our football team would be better for it and have a state of the art facility
    C'mon man, you can't compare Lafayette to Austin, St Louis, or Nashville. I am not vehemently opposed to "MLS-type amenities or design cues for the renovations, but MLS is never going to happen in Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Austin, St. Louis, Nashville?? lol
    You need to check out the population of those metro areas. They are about 4 times as big as Lafayette at least. St. Louis is metro alone is around 5m people
    MLS in Lafayette is a pipe dream. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take from what MLS and MiLB does right with regards to districting and planning that make the game experience so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Football is dying man. Build for the future. Also, Nashville’s stadium isn’t some euro futuristic stadium.

That stadium here would be awesome. You old curmudgeon. Lol
    You're 100% right. The soccer stadium design is the future. Hopefully, the ones making the decision aren't folks like Cajun T

I not saying we can get a MLS team, but I think we could get a minor league soccer team affiliated with the USL.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Until the stadium upgrades are decided, you should not build the entertainment/shopping part. Our guys are thinking of the future not just one part of the design. This has been the problem in the past. By building the entertainment/shopping part without a plan for the stadium you are going to limit what you can do with the stadium. The stadium is the focal point of the complex, get the plans and start before you decide on the what is going where in entertainment/shopping part.

There is a process they are going through to do it the right way and they are doing that. Everyone at the university knows that funding needs to come from out side sources, but you have to have a plan. Once stadium plans are complete they can move forward with the other parts of the complex. We can not build in a shell.
    I don't disagree with what you have stated. The only thing I would add is we can't go forward without corporate investment. There will have to be some collaboration between entities that want to help develop the entertainment and shopping and our athletic department long term. A partnership is necessary to help financially long term including branding the stadium. We can bond out the stadium, but long term development in that area won't happen without partnering with corporate developers.JMO

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    You’re completely missing what makes the MLS stadiums incredible. They aren’t build for capacity. We don’t need more than 35k here anyway. They are 100% designed for fan experience. They are designed with sight lines as the number one consideration. Cajun Field has terrible sight lines if you are below row 20 in the lower bowl.

They have standing areas designed into the stadium, which is a bar. Imagine if Legends or Pete’s would sponsor a bar area inside of Cajun Field where people could drink at a bar setting and watch the game. Attractions inside the stadium to draw people in. It is something MLS and MiLB have done that makes a huge impact on attendance.

Nashville’s stadium holds 30,500. Which would be a little smaller than I’d like to see only by 2000 or so seats. The current layout of Cajun Field lends itself perfectly to something like that.

I’d like to see the entire lower bowl completely redone. Steepen the embankments and have the lower seating be a little more vertical. Then a much smaller upper deck on both sides between the 30’s that has 12-15 rows of seats. With a canopy covering the whole thing. Chairback the entire stadium and make them comfortable. They don’t need to be 16” seats. Give fans a little room to breathe and make this place the crown jewel of college football in the region.
    The existing slope is too steep for code. It needs to be less steep like the NEZ seating.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    C'mon man, you can't compare Lafayette to Austin, St Louis, or Nashville. I am not vehemently opposed to "MLS-type amenities or design cues for the renovations, but MLS is never going to happen in Lafayette.
    Yep, total nonsense. We are not going to develop that area without corporate developers with investment dollars.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 . LastLast

Thread Information