Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: Regional 2019

Default Re: Regional 2019

If the Cajuns do get sent to Ole Miss and Ole Miss is a 16 seed, I do not like that. I would much rather go across the Atchafalaya and play that team. They're on a five-game losing streak, they have average pitching and their bats have disappeared. The main thing the Cajuns will have to be worried about is just exactly how will the umps cheat this year.

What are the odds that we are wrong and We host?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Zero

4. Default Re: Regional 2019

It would require a full 180 degree reversal of what the selection committee has made abundantly clear is the criteria to be a #1 seed and host. When considering that criteria, the Cajuns could arguably have a Top 8 RPI and would not be hosting . as they played a measly one game vs. the RPI Top 25 . and have zero wins against this group. They have also played fewer games against the RPI Top 50 (2-1 record) than I can recall in some time from an NCAA Tournament team with at-large credentials. I would call it a stunningly weak schedule. Meanwhile, the Cajuns do not even have a Top 16 RPI (last was #18, with their RPI value well away from #16). So what exactly do they have on their resume that makes the case for a national seed?

In 2017 Minnesota was #11 in RPI at selection time, conference champions with a 27-1 record, a #10 NC RPI, 20-3 on the road, 2-2 vs. the RPI Top 25, and 14-3 vs. the RPI Top 50. They were denied for reasons well known.

So . what are the odds that the Cajuns host? They are the same odds that this human selection committee executes a complete reversal of their recently stated criteria. It would be a statement that loudly says strength of schedule does not matter. I would love to see it happen, for the following reason (outside the reason I am a Cajun fan) . even though the Cajuns would be paired in the super regional round vs. national #1 seed Oklahoma, the fallout from the Cajuns being selected as a host would be legendary. Get your popcorn, because the selection committee explaining it would be the best entertainment of the year.

Brian

It would be a great year to get sent to BR. They are no where near as good as they will be seeded. Not even close. Thet may not make it out regardless of who gets sent there.

6. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    It would require a full 180 degree reversal of what the selection committee has made abundantly clear is the criteria to be a #1 seed and host. When considering that criteria, the Cajuns could arguably have a Top 8 RPI and would not be hosting . as they played a measly one game vs. the RPI Top 25 . and have zero wins against this group. They have also played fewer games against the RPI Top 50 (2-1 record) than I can recall in some time from an NCAA Tournament team with at-large credentials. I would call it a stunningly weak schedule.
    Some quick research to illustrate the above point concerning the weak schedule . There has been only one team since 2005 (most dated season I examined) in the RPI Top 50 at selection time that played fewer than three games vs. the RPI Top 50. That was #44 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in 2005 with two such games (they did win one vs. the RPI Top 25). Every other team in the RPI Top 50 at selection time since 2005 played five or more games vs. the RPI Top 50.

Brian

7. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    It would be a great year to get sent to BR. They are no where near as good as they will be seeded. Not even close. Thet may not make it out regardless of who gets sent there.
    I like our chances in either Baton Rouge or Oxford. But the Cajuns need to get the bats back.

Brian

It's going to be BR as a 2 seed and we play in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Not surprising considering #2 Minnesota got sent down south last year.
    Minnesota had no history, tradition, resume. They know in advance that UL as a 2 means a 1 likely will not advance. I think we host as a 14.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCajun View Post
    Minnesota had no history, tradition, resume. They know in advance that UL as a 2 means a 1 likely will not advance. I think we host as a 14.
    Bold prediction, but I like it

I'll take a bet on that.

We're talking Big10 vs Sunbelt. You better believe they will screw UL given the opportunity. I hope I'm wrong

Did the final RPI rankings come out? I still don’t think UL had enough to get past #17.

Bold prediction, but I like it
    I do understand the math, but in practical application, the committee can decide to stray from the math. There are SEC teams that are close to .500 that will host just because they lost a lot to good teams. Then there’s UL, which has only lost 4 games, has several all-american candidates, swept its conference, has a history of regional and super regional wins, is an excellent host site, and will likely spoil a regional if they don’t host. To justify the decision, the committee can simply say that a storied program with a 50-4 record simply could not be ignored, and scheduling challenges were the only reason that UL found itself with an RPI just outside of the top16. Also, the NFCA coaches think UL is the 7th best team.

15. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Did the final RPI rankings come out? I still don’t think UL had enough to get past #17.
    I believe that UL is at 17 . but it is close between 17 and 18.

Brian

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information