Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 . LastLast

Thread: Regional 2019

1. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    I guess we got robbed in 2012, 2014, 2015, and 2016 too?
    How many times has UL's seeding been bumped up?

It may happen often, I don't know. I know it didn't happen in 2012.

Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    All those factors are inherently embedded into the RPI it doesn't need an analog view.

As far as still not hosting? Ican count to 16 and UL was 17, but you miss the point. Ole Miss should not be hosting.

Why did the other team not host? I don't know, maybe they didn't put in a bid. One year UL couldn't host because of lights. Another year they couldn't host because of the press box. Another year it was facilities.

It's always something, something Du jour.
    JMU at RPI 13th, was the only top 16 RPI team not to host and ole miss took their spot as the RPI 18th team. im as certain as an outsider can be that JMU put in a bid to host. but i will give you one guess at what different about JMU and the 16 other teams that did get to host.

oh, and your correct, if RPI is going to be the go to stat for hosting, which SOS is already included, then ols miss should not be hosting. just let the top 16 host and a committee should only determine the seeding and other teams that will be placed.

How many times has UL's seeding been bumped up?

It may happen often, I don't know. I know it didn't happen in 2012.
    Doesn’t matter. Each time we have hosted, the team earned it. This year, it wasn’t in the card to have a host worthy resume.

Next time, answer the question instead of dodging the question by asking another question.

4. Default Re: Regional 2019

Doesn’t matter. Each time we have hosted, the team earned it. This year, it wasn’t in the card to have a host worthy resume.

Next time, answer the question instead of dodging the question by asking another question.
    Dodging?

You were asking someone else, I asked you a related question.

5. Default Re: Regional 2019

Each time we have hosted, the team has earned it. Some times we have earned it and we have not hosted. This year, if Ole Miss qualifies to host, then we have earned it and been robbed. Now that.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Each time we have hosted, the team has earned it. Some times we have earned it and we have not hosted. This year, if Ole Miss qualifies to host, then we have earned it and been robbed. Now that.
    How did we earn it? What worthy team(s) did we beat? We won 50 games against a weak schedule. How can you say you are one of the top 16 teams in the country if you haven’t beaten any of the other 15 teams in the top 16?

7. Default Re: Regional 2019

How did we earn it? What worthy team(s) did we beat? We won 50 games against a weak schedule. How can you say you are one of the top 16 teams in the country if you haven’t beaten any of the other 15 teams in the top 16?
    Flip. How has Ole Miss earned it? They hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Flip. How has Ole Miss earned it? They hosting.
    #18 in the rpi (.00132 behind UL). 12-9 vs the rpi top 25. Better non-conference rpi than UL.

9. Default Re: Regional 2019

The RPI factors in everything already presented here.

How well did you do? Who were your opponents? How well did you do against them? Who were your opponents opponents? How well did they do?

When everything was factored in, Louisiana tops Mississippi.

The NCAA says we don't just look at the RPI.

What do they look at? A piece of the RPI. Something that was already in the RPI.

They are double dipping, giving double value to something the RPI already factored in.

I like UL's chances, JMU aside, I don't like getting robbed of hosting.
    Again . the Cajuns were not robbed of hosting. They did not meet the well known criteria necessary to host.

Brian

10. Default Re: Regional 2019

That's a dumb question to ask before the playoffs begin.

That's what the playoffs are designed to answer.

11. Default Re: Regional 2019

All those factors are inherently embedded into the RPI it doesn't need an analog view.
    No they are not. Please go reread my original response to you.

Brian

12. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Again . the Cajuns were not robbed of hosting. They did not meet the well known criteria necessary to host.

Brian
    If Ole Miss is worthy, UL was robbed.

Neither should be hosting, but if one is worthy the team with the better RPI was robbed.

I don't like calling the "well known" -double dipping- "criteria" a robbery mechanism but it is what it is.

13. Default Re: Regional 2019

#18 in the rpi (.00132 behind UL). 12-9 vs the rpi top 25. Better non-conference rpi than UL.
    You said 2012 doesn't matter. #1 RPI in the country non-conference and the committee still dropped their overall seed.

14. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    RPI attempts to "look at the entirety of the "quality of competition"". But does a poor job of doing so due to the many SOS flaws I have discussed for years. But also given that the RPI does this by averaging results (and we know in statistics, averages do not nearly illustrate the entire story . they can also distort . and thus are typically used as just another piece of information), it can lead to results that cannot depict how a team might fare against its supposed peer group (in this case, national seeds) . and thus an appropriate strength rating.

With the RPI, you can have two teams that play the following schedules .

Team A-> All opponents within the Top 25
    Team B -> All opponents between 50->125

Team B could have the slightly higher RPI. But in no way does this indicate that Team B is the stronger team. The RPI is not capable of doing this. This is where the averaging and the RPI SOS itself breaks down. This is also why the selection committee wants some proof that a given team is qualified to be considered among a certain peer group. This is why there is criteria in the selection process that is more than just RPI (which cannot and does not work by itself).

And the anchor that drags Ole Miss down to #18 (just below Louisiana) is the # of losses they have . not their SOS (or bottom of their schedule).

All of the above said . for several years the criteria for a national seed has been explicit and well known. This is the first season that a team with only three wins vs. the RPI Top 25 has qualified for a national seed (the prior minimum was four) . so you can get an idea of what is expected. Record vs. Top 10 RPI is also important and is why James Madison did not get the nod over Michigan. Not only did the Cajuns not have three wins vs. the RPI Top 25 . they had zero and played only one game. They only won two games vs. the RPI Top 50 and played three measly games vs. the RPI Top 50. For weeks I have been saying that the Cajuns will not be hosting this season . and explained exactly why. Why folks are surprised by this is beyond me. Simply said . the Cajuns did not deserve a national seed because they failed spectacularly in meeting one of the most important criteria for national seeds (maybe the most important). I am not assigning blame anywhere. Several things contributed to the Cajuns' schedule being what it was in the end. It is what it is and I know it will be rectified. But it is silly to be upset with the selection committee in this instance. That is putting your head in the sand and not listening to what the committee has outlined. I think James Madison has a case against the committee. The Cajuns do not. They never gave the committee a chance to make them a national seed.

Brian
    Reading

You said 2012 doesn't matter. #1 RPI in the country non-conference and the committee still dropped their overall seed.
    Where did I say 2012 didn’t matter?

Our seeding based on rpi dropped by a whole 2 seeds. You’d swear we went from a top 8 seed to barely hosting.

In 2012, we also had a 4-0 record against the rpi top 25, so that actually helped, unlike 2019 where we went winless. Louisville went from # 9 in the rpi to #15. Arizona went from #11 to #13. Don’t see you _____ing about their seeding.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 . LastLast

Thread Information