Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . LastLast

Thread: Regional 2019

Default Re: Regional 2019

Direct from the NCAA softball championship manual

The RPI is intended to be used as one of many valuable resources provided to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. It never should be considered anything but an additional evaluation tool.

2. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana
    How can one be considered a host team when they didn't play any like opponents during the year?
    Hosts are not facing "like opponents."

If your argument had an ounce of value they would only consider your record vs top 16 RPI. Of course that's absurd.

They are supposed to look at your entire body of work. Yet through the years we've seen them use opposite ends logic to notch down the Cajuns.

3. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    RPI looks at the entirety of the "quality of competition."

Ole Miss is below Louisiana in RPI because they didn't perform across the board.

When Louisiana had the #1 ooc RPI in the country, the Farmer led committee made the excuse to focus on the bottom end of their schedule.

Why does Ole Miss' bottom end get ignored just because they faced a quality top end. They have an,anchor that drags them down, losses.

LA RPI #17
    OM RPI #18
    RPI attempts to "look at the entirety of the "quality of competition"". But does a poor job of doing so due to the many SOS flaws I have discussed for years. But also given that the RPI does this by averaging results (and we know in statistics, averages do not nearly illustrate the entire story . they can also distort . and thus are typically used as just another piece of information), it can lead to results that cannot depict how a team might fare against its supposed peer group (in this case, national seeds) . and thus an appropriate strength rating.

With the RPI, you can have two teams that play the following schedules .

Team A-> All opponents within the Top 25
    Team B -> All opponents between 50->125

Team B could have the slightly higher RPI. But in no way does this indicate that Team B is the stronger team. The RPI is not capable of doing this. This is where the averaging and the RPI SOS itself breaks down. This is also why the selection committee wants some proof that a given team is qualified to be considered among a certain peer group. This is why there is criteria in the selection process that is more than just RPI (which cannot and does not work by itself).

And the anchor that drags Ole Miss down to #18 (just below Louisiana) is the # of losses they have . not their SOS (or bottom of their schedule).

All of the above said . for several years the criteria for a national seed has been explicit and well known. This is the first season that a team with only three wins vs. the RPI Top 25 has qualified for a national seed (the prior minimum was four) . so you can get an idea of what is expected. Record vs. Top 10 RPI is also important and is why James Madison did not get the nod over Michigan. Not only did the Cajuns not have three wins vs. the RPI Top 25 . they had zero and played only one game. They only won two games vs. the RPI Top 50 and played three measly games vs. the RPI Top 50. For weeks I have been saying that the Cajuns will not be hosting this season . and explained exactly why. Why folks are surprised by this is beyond me. Simply said . the Cajuns did not deserve a national seed because they failed spectacularly in meeting one of the most important criteria for national seeds (maybe the most important). I am not assigning blame anywhere. Several things contributed to the Cajuns' schedule being what it was in the end. It is what it is and I know it will be rectified. But it is silly to be upset with the selection committee in this instance. That is putting your head in the sand and not listening to what the committee has outlined. I think James Madison has a case against the committee. The Cajuns do not. They never gave the committee a chance to make them a national seed.

Brian

I’ve always said let the odds makers do the rankings of the polls. Non-biased and their livelihood depends on it. My guess UL would be one of the top 16 teams in the country to win it all, therefore they should be hosting a regional.

5. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Direct from the NCAA softball championship manual

The RPI is intended to be used as one of many valuable resources provided to the committee in the selection, seeding and bracketing process. It never should be considered anything but an additional evaluation tool.
    We know that, but cherry picking INSIDE of the RPI is not using the RPI, it's dismantling it.

We know that, but cherry picking INSIDE of the RPI is not using the RPI, it's dismantling it.
    You are obviously on one of your " I'm right and your wrong" and nothing else matters moments I'll just step out of this one for a while and go have a discussion with my fence post and brick wall.

7. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    RPI attempts "to look at the entirety of the "quality of competition"". But does a poor job of doing so due to the many SOS flaws I have discussed for years. But also given that the RPI does this by averaging results (and we know in statistics, averages do not nearly illustrate the entire story . and thus are typically used as just another piece of information), it can lead to results that cannot depict how a team might fare against its supposed peer group (in this case, national seeds).

With the RPI, you can have two teams that play the following schedules .

Team A-> All opponents within the Top 25
    Team B -> All opponents between 50->125

Team B could have the slightly higher RPI. But in no way does this indicate that Team B is the stronger team. The RPI is not capable of doing this. This is where the averaging and the RPI SOS itself breaks down. This is also why the selection committee wants some proof that a given team is qualified to be considered among a certain peer group. This is why there is criteria in the selection process that is more than just RPI (which cannot and does not work by itself).

And the anchor that drags Ole Miss down to #18 (just below Louisiana) is the # of losses they have . not their SOS (or bottom of their schedule).

All of the above said . for several years the criteria for a national seed has been explicit and well known. This is the first season that a team with only three wins vs. the RPI Top 25 has qualified for a national seed (the prior minimum was four) . so you can get an idea of what is expected. Record vs. Top 10 RPI is also important and is why James Madison did not get the nod over Michigan. Not only did the Cajuns not have three wins vs. the RPI Top 25 . they had zero and played only one game. They only won two games vs. the RPI Top 50 and played three measly games vs. the RPI Top 50. For weeks I have been saying that the Cajuns will not be hosting this season . and explained exactly why. Why folks are surprised by this is beyond me. Simply said . the Cajuns did not deserve a national seed because they failed spectacularly in meeting one of the most important criteria for national seeds (maybe the most important). I am not assigning blame anywhere. Several things contributed to the Cajuns' schedule being what it was in the end. It is what it is and I know it will be rectified. But it is silly to be upset with the selection committee in this instance. That is putting your head in the sand and not listening to what the committee has outlined. I think James Madison has a case against the committee. The Cajuns do not. They never gave the committee a chance to make them a national seed.

Brian
    I know you said you didn't track RPI this year (due to no chance to host I believe) (that may have been baseball)

To me facing and losing is a better indicator of poor rank than cancelled games.

I have said for years you could plop the MLB World Series champ incognito into a poor schedule and under the system their true rank would go unrecognized.

8. Default Re: Regional 2019

I have said for years you could plop the MLB World Series champ incognito into a poor schedule and under system their true rank would go unrecognized.
    Which is why you need direct evidence (playing games against those peer teams) . instead of relying solely on a flawed system such as the RPI to make your case. Maybe the Cajuns are one of the Top 16 teams. I sure hope they prove it this weekend. But they did not give the committee the information/evidence they needed to award such.

Brian

9. Default Re: Regional 2019

The Cajuns got hurt because of the following reasons

Sunbelt was really weak this season. Overall it was t bad but the teams that are usually top 50 were not. USA was dreadful. Troy Texas state and others ended up just outside the top 50. That would or could ha e been another 6-9 games vs top 50 teams.

Baylor fell apart after the injury to there #1 pitcher. They were top 50 early but finished 18-31 on the season due to injury at one point they were 10-7 with some solid wins. They finished 8-24.

Did not get to face oregon state and Oklahoma twice. We would have gone 1-1 minimum vs them. Two top 50 teams

Fordham a usual top 100 team ended up okay but was a mess early and never got inside the top 100

Should not have played UIW and ATM-CC at all killed our RPI. They were both worse than ULM the worst SBC team.

Bad season by Cal.

Loss to mcneese. They ended up a top 100 team. That loss hurt at home.

10. Default Re: Regional 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    You are obviously on one of your " I'm right and your wrong" and nothing else matters moments I'll just step out of this one for a while and go have a discussion with my fence post and brick wall.
    I see how it comes across, but I wasn't thinking R/W I was thinking deficiencies/inadequacy.

Bottom line for me. While I would have loved to see the players and Lafayette area fans rewarded, the Cajuns could have not asked for much more of a chance to prove everyone wrong with the draw they were given. This is as good an opportunity to get to the WCWS as could be envisioned.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that outside of the Oklahoma game, the team hasn't really been challenged. I think we'll be ready though, and Glasco has already said they were going to use the lack of respect as extra motivation.

Geaux Cajuns!

12. Default Re: Regional 2019

Which is why you need direct evidence (playing games against those peer teams) . instead of relying solely on a flawed system such as the RPI to make your case. Maybe the Cajuns are one of the Top 16 teams. I sure hope they prove it this weekend. But they did not give the committee the information/evidence they needed to award such.

Brian
    I get it. "Better to try and fail, than not try at all."

Kind of describes me in this thread.

13. Default

Brian
    No doubt rpi is flawed. Specifically as conference games are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Should not have played UIW and ATM-CC at all killed our RPI. They were both worse than ULM the worst SBC team.
    .and these were teams invited to the Ragin Cajuns Classic, a tournament which we hosted.

I know the Sunbelt had some down teams this year, but playing/winning a Sunbelt Conference schedule does not give us what we need to be a national seed.

It is imperative that we play better non-conference games. If James Madison is suffering from the same situation, it seems like we should make an effort to play them. It appears Alabama needs to play better a better OOC schedule, so let's give them a call.

I'm very happy with where we are in the bracket, now let's just win our games and see how far we can go.

GEAUX CAJUNS!

15. Default Re: Regional 2019

Funny the best 3 teams not hosting could arguably be

UL
    JMU
    Drake

Or at least the toughest 3 teams not hosting.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . LastLast

Thread Information