Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: 20/20 Baseball

1. Default 20/20 Baseball

Yea, I said it.

We all know the 2019 has limitations (especially the coaches). So for anyone out there thinking that making a late run would be bad in the way of retaining players and coaches that shouldn't be here, don't be. The changes are evident, to all involved, and no matter how this season ends, 2020 will be an entirely different looking baseball program.

Anyway, the Coastal series was important. We slapped around some talented arms, and we fought. Period. Our guys competed at a high level all weekend. It wasn't pretty at times, but in my eyes, its important to see guys still fighting at this point in the year, with this disappointing record. It still matters to them.

I know Coastal has their issues, but the bottom line is, they are still the most talented roster in the league. Good RPI, tough schedule. They have dudes on that team. Jack Burk looked like an ACE, again. (Pretty sure I heard Top say he leads the SBC in ERA at 1.78 ERA). Young is sooo close. I don't know if he'll clear the hump, but he's very close and obviously has the stuff to get people out. The pen issued free passes on Sunday, but it seems to me that Tony was giving guys like Horton and Batty another opportunity to prove themselves, as we'd love to have those guys pitching well for the tourney. But, at the end of the day, these are the same arms that are allowing the walks/HBP/wild pitches. We saw some grit out of a few guys this weekend. I like Perrin a lot in the pen, Shultz was good again, Stone was good in short duty, we know Leamont is mostly reliable, and Armstrong had a decent day.

We need to TCOFB this weekend against a BAD team, and then go up to Monroe of win that series. Monroe isn't awful but we are still the superior team.

There is not a single dominant team in this league. Anyone that gets into the field can win it, and with our offense finally looking potent, we have as good a shot as anyone. If we can somehow find a way to get into a regional after this shiht show of a year, it would be a monumental accomplishment.

2. Default Re: Postseason Push

I'm on board, well said.

Default Re: Postseason Push

While I agree with you, I still feel like someone(more than one) will have to step up that has not done so this year and have to have a hell of an outing for us to win it. I think we can hit enough to make a run. And I agree, a few guys on this staff are fighting for post season roster spots for the tourney. If they don’t make it, I’d think that’s the writing on the wall for next season as well with the amount of kids we are bringing in

4. Default Re: Postseason Push

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    While I agree with you, I still feel like someone(more than one) will have to step up that has not done so this year and have to have a hell of an outing for us to win it. I think we can hit enough to make a run. And I agree, a few guys on this staff are fighting for post season roster spots for the tourney. If they don't make it, I'd think that's the writing on the wall for next season as well with the amount of kids we are bringing in
    I'm hopeful for this:

1) Perrin
    2) Leaumont
    3) J. Shutlz
    4) Cox
    5) Armstrong
    6) Cooke
    7) Stone

If these guys can give you real innings without issuing free passes, you can win (assuming the offense stays productive). It'll just be an adjustment for us to have to watch a brand of baseball that relies on the offensive to win games.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Yea, I said it.

We all know the 2019 has limitations (especially the coaches). So for anyone out there thinking that making a late run would be bad in the way of retaining players and coaches that shouldn't be here, don't be. The changes are evident, to all involved, and no matter how this season ends, 2020 will be an entirely different looking baseball program.

Anyway, the Coastal series was important. We slapped around some talented arms, and we fought. Period. Our guys competed at a high level all weekend. It wasn't pretty at times, but in my eyes, its important to see guys still fighting at this point in the year, with this disappointing record. It still matters to them.

I know Coastal has their issues, but the bottom line is, they are still the most talented roster in the league. Good RPI, tough schedule. They have dudes on that team. Jack Burk looked like an ACE, again. (Pretty sure I heard Top say he leads the SBC in ERA at 1.78 ERA). Young is sooo close. I don't know if he'll clear the hump, but he's very close and obviously has the stuff to get people out. The pen issued free passes on Sunday, but it seems to me that Tony was giving guys like Horton and Batty another opportunity to prove themselves, as we'd love to have those guys pitching well for the tourney. But, at the end of the day, these are the same arms that are allowing the walks/HBP/wild pitches. We saw some grit out of a few guys this weekend. I like Perrin a lot in the pen, Shultz was good again, Stone was good in short duty, we know Leamont is mostly reliable, and Armstrong had a decent day.

We need to TCOFB this weekend against a BAD team, and then go up to Monroe of win that series. Monroe isn't awful but we are still the superior team.

There is not a single dominant team in this league. Anyone that gets into the field can win it, and with our offense finally looking potent, we have as good a shot as anyone. If we can somehow find a way to get into a regional after this shiht show of a year, it would be a monumental accomplishment.
    So you got us making coaching changes even if we make Regional? And what are the changes going to be?

6. Default Re: Postseason Push

Did a little statistical analysis of our bullpen.
    These values will represent free passes given (BB/HBP/E) per 9 innings.
    *WARNING: NSFW. May be offensive to some. Parental guidance suggested.*

Leamount - 5.02
    Cooke - 5.52
    J. Shultz - 5.54
    Cox - 6.69
    Armstrong - 7.48
    Savoy - 8.18
    Horton - 8.28
    B. Shultz - 8.61
    Stone - 9.0
    Batty - 14.11

For context:
    Jack Burk - 2.95
    Austin Perrin - 3.51

7. Default

Did a little statistical analysis of our bullpen.
    These values will represent free passes given (BB/HBP/E) per 9 innings.
    *WARNING: NSFW. May be offensive to some. Parental guidance suggested.*

Leamount - 5.02
    Cooke - 5.52
    J. Shultz - 5.54
    Cox - 6.69
    Armstrong - 7.48
    Savoy - 8.18
    Horton - 8.28
    B. Shultz - 8.61
    Stone - 9.0
    Batty - 14.11

For context:
    Jack Burk - 2.95
    Austin Perrin - 3.51

I knew you’d dodge that question

Since 2000, in years that the conference has had brackets for the postseason (ignoring the god awful pool play of 2011 and 2012), here is the breakdown by seed of the tournament championships.

#1- 5
    #2- 3
    #3- 2
    #4- 2
    #5- 2
    #6- 2
    #7- 1
    #8- 0

17 tournaments and the top 2 seeds account for 47% of the championships. We've been eliminated from being one of those seeds, so our chances of winning are very slim, especially with out current pitching staff. Let's not forget we are 5-10 against teams currently seeds 1 through 6 in the Sun Belt.

Yea, I said it.

Geeeeezzzz would ya just stop. 2019 has been a bad year. We all agree. But for you to start talking regionals just because we beat another bad Sunbelt team 2 out of 3 while winning our SECOND Friday night game of the season is absolutely dumb. Come on dude, we don't have the pitching to win a tournament. You posted the ERA's earlier. You can count the quality starts that we've gotten all year practically on one hand. What makes you think that's suddenly gonna change?

Has the bats gotten better ? Absolutely. But not that much better as to think we're gonna suddenly outscore everyone in a tournament setting. We're 22-28 for God's sake. That's not good. And oh by the way, it's not like we're a lock cinch to even get in the tournament yet. WE'RE IN LAST PLACE IN THE WEST with work to do to just get in. It'll come down to the ULM series obviously. Those guys haven't beaten us since the 2012 debacle. So yes, I like our chances of getting in but I don't like our chances of winning the tournament.

Go ahead and call me negative, call me whatever you want but as I've said, I live in reality and mine is light years different from yours. Guys like you, the local media, as well as this coaching staff have already set high expectations for 2020 with the "different look' we'll see. A lot of people are gonna remember that. Just sayin.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Geeeeezzzz would ya just stop. 2019 has been a bad year. We all agree. But for you to start talking regionals just because we beat another bad Sunbelt team 2 out of 3 while winning our SECOND Friday night game of the season is absolutely dumb. Come on dude, we don't have the pitching to win a tournament. You posted the ERA's earlier. You can count the quality starts that we've gotten all year practically on one hand. What makes you think that's suddenly gonna change?

Has the bats gotten better ? Absolutely. But not that much better as to think we're gonna suddenly outscore everyone in a tournament setting. We're 22-28 for God's sake. That's not good. And oh by the way, it's not like we're a lock cinch to even get in the tournament yet. WE'RE IN LAST PLACE IN THE WEST with work to do to just get in. It'll come down to the ULM series obviously. Those guys haven't beaten us since the 2012 debacle. So yes, I like our chances of getting in but I don't like our chances of winning the tournament.

Go ahead and call me negative, call me whatever you want but as I've said, I live in reality and mine is light years different from yours. Guys like you, the local media, as well as this coaching staff have already set high expectations for 2020 with the "different look' we'll see. A lot of people are gonna remember that. Just sayin.
    I just wish the little guy would tell us what coaches are being fired

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    Since 2000, in years that the conference has had brackets for the postseason (ignoring the god awful pool play of 2011 and 2012), here is the breakdown by seed of the tournament championships.

#1- 5
    #2- 3
    #3- 2
    #4- 2
    #5- 2
    #6- 2
    #7- 1
    #8- 0

17 tournaments and the top 2 seeds account for 47% of the championships. We've been eliminated from being one of those seeds, so our chances of winning are very slim, especially with out current pitching staff. Let's not forget we are 5-10 against teams currently seeds 1 through 6 in the Sun Belt.
    Very good and "REAL" analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I doubt any of the current staff will be fired after this season. That's just my opinion. A lot will rest on the 2020 season I would think.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    I doubt any of the current staff will be fired after this season. That's just my opinion. A lot will rest on the 2020 season I would think.
    I agree with you but that’s not what the little man is saying. He’s doesn’t know but I love how he acts like he does

14. Default Re: Postseason Push

The same group of chodes turn every discussion into a food fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Hopefully, nobody fires Jake Wells. He is a certified wizard.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information