Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Robichaux despises the three-run inning

Default Re: Robichaux despises the three-run inning

Bottom line, if your HC doesn’t do his own recruiting he will fail. It doesn’t matter what sport it’s in. Even the greatest coaches fail when they stop recruiting.

We have fallen into the over-recruiting downward spiral.

1. Churn through players at a high rate.

2. Fail with high schoolers, turn to JUCO and cut 25 players each year.

3. Get the reputation for over recruiting and not winning .

4. Good high school players look elsewhere.

The coaching staff knows this already. Opposing schools will recruit players using this against us. Very sad to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    It's been pointed out plenty of times the large number of guys that didn't return from the 2017 and 2018 rosters. With 23-27 new faces next year, there will have to be a lot of guys on the current roster with remaining eligibility to not return. This means we are already conceding that this has been a 3rd straight year of mass recruiting failures and busts.

We can talk about Robe's impressive career track record, but Robe doesn't recruit . It's already been stated the changes have been made. This means we are sticking with our current staff that has an abysmal track record of evaluating talent. The current staff has something to prove to say the least. Until they do, the media and staff's mantra of "give me your money and shut your mouth" will fall on deaf ears.
    It’s called “shut up and pay” and believe me, that 4300 attendance that’s being announced every home game will dwindle a lot. Deaf ears are already here.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    I'm just wondering how many play by play guys in D1 athletics hang out arguing with fans on a message board.
    Don’t get it twisted... TTMW is a good hang bro.

5. Default

Man I gotta tell you, between you, Babs, and Robe, you guys have your nuuts front and center on the table regarding this next recruiting class. Real smart on your part. And your comment about Deggs being the "second coming", I'll say this, if Matt Deggs doesn't show up here in 2013 and 2014, this program would have been a disaster a long time ago but I don't expect you to realize that due to your 25 year love affair. Even you'd be lucky to have a job at this point if it not were for '13 and '14. You're beyond a sunshine pumper. What's happening right now has been coming for a while.

This program and all the BS that's its become over the last few years is nothing but smoke and mirrors, excuses, and a good ole boy network between local media and athletics. Here's another turd to polish.
    I understand that you’re not pleased with the precipitous downfall of the baseball program, but why the vitriol? You sound (read) unreasonably angry about this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We have fallen into the over-recruiting downward spiral.

1. Churn through players at a high rate.

2. Fail with high schoolers, turn to JUCO and cut 25 players each year.

3. Get the reputation for over recruiting and not winning .

4. Good high school players look elsewhere.

The coaching staff knows this already. Opposing schools will recruit players using this against us. Very sad to watch.
    If you were a good high school player- especially a pitcher- ask your self if you would get better by coming here. Pitching development- especially mechanics and velocity work - which is what all the top pitching schools are doing--- is not done with Robe. Whatever mechanics etc a pitcher brings in with him- Robe doesnt even TRY to change it. This is not a guess,, but an absolute I know for sure. I could cite examples but all have been noted here already.

7. Default

Am I the only one that feels like some will lose their minds when the day comes that Robe either leaves on his own or gets fired ? I mean the guy won't be here forever. We'll likely never have another baseball coach here for 25 years. I really feel some don't get that as it's getting closer and closer to reality. I mean it's like a cullt following.
    I don’t do Facebook, so I have not been exposed to the ____ like behavior you and GC have mentioned here. People will understandably be upset when Robe decides to hang em up, but what’s that got to do with anything? People believe he will fix this, and they have the evidence to back that belief up, if you look at his history.

Whether it will happen, I don’t know.

UL is still a good choice for pitchers. You can't have too many arms. Russo is a pitchers park. That will never change. Regardless of who is coaching what, the culture for pitchers is rich. Pitching is off, but that is temporary. Position players have a tougher situation.

Recruiting has changed dramatically over the last five years. Kids as young as 13 started getting offers, resulting from increased exposure, requiring schools to recruit four classes, instead of two. We may have been caught a little flat footed here.

NCAA took steps to rein in the recruiting of very young players in early 2018 with new rules. Now schools can official visit junior and seniors. Before only Seniors could official visit. Younger kids can still unofficial visit, but no contact with coaches on campus is allowed. No more offers on campus for players not yet juniors.

Recruiting is still tougher than it was 5, 10 years ago, but less crazy than a year ago. Recruiting multiple classes is more time consuming, expensive and wacky compared to just five years ago. Everybody has to adjust. We're playing catch up now.

Here is an article on the recruiting rule changes a year ago. They moved up official visits to Aug. 1 before Jr. year in their meeting last month when they voted down the third paid coach. FAU Head Coach John McCormick and Ole Miss's Mike Bianco were very involved in the process.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-rule-changes/

It’s called “shut up and pay” and believe me, that 4300 attendance that’s being announced every home game will dwindle a lot. Deaf ears are already here.
    Have you been to a game in the last couple of weeks? Attendance is already below the 4300 being announced. Dont blame it on Festival International either.

Only game I plan on attending for the rest of this year is Senior day. Despite the results on the field, I do have respect for this Sr class.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    UL is still a good choice for pitchers. You can't have too many arms. Russo is a pitchers park. That will never change. Regardless of who is coaching what, the culture for pitchers is rich. Pitching is off, but that is temporary. Position players have a tougher situation.

Recruiting has changes dramatically over the last five years. Kids as young as 13 started getting offers, resulting from increased exposure, requiring schools to recruit four classes, instead of two. We may have been caught a little flat footed here.

NCAA took steps to rein in the recruiting of very young players in early 2018 with new rules. Now schools can official visit junior and seniors. Before only Seniors could official visit. Younger kids can still unofficial visit, but no contact with coaches on campus is allowed. No more offers on campus for players not yet juniors.

Recruiting is still tougher than it was 5, 10 years ago, but less crazy than a year ago. Recruiting multiple classes is more time consuming, expensive and wacky compared to just five years ago. Everybody has to adjust. We're playing catch up now.
    I think this is an excellent post. Robe talked about this on his radio show the other night. THIS is one of the reasons why we adjusted the staff so someone could spend more time on the road. There are a lot of successful programs doing this. And, I agree, we are playing catch up. It's easy to sit back now and say we should have done this sooner. Nothing we can do about that now.

So many of you are criticizing those (including me) who believe we are going to get this thing turned around. And, many of you think I feel that way because of blind loyalty. Robe's track record does give me confidence. But that isn't the whole story.

It's pretty obvious what our problem has been this year. And, it's one of the few years we've had a problem in that regard. We have a team ERA over five. That's unheard of with this program. We need better talent.

We signed two JUCO pitchers early. We're getting five more. Two of them won't be announced because we are getting them for free the first year (that includes the Texas Tech transfer.) That's seven guys. All of them are power arms. Your most successful programs have gotten it done with guys who have giddyup. Connor Angel may wind up on campus because he has a high asking price. Here's a 6-5 guy who throws 93-96. These are the kind of guys we are bringing in.

JT is recruiting full time now but he isn't the only one recruiting. Wells is known as a "vicious recruiter" as one opposing coach told me. And, Freeman has done a good job of identifying talent, especially on the mound.

We've had tremendous results with JUCO pitchers over the years. Have we missed on a few? Sure. Everyone does. But the track record here is very good.

For me, the unknown is the JUCO position guys. Some of them have an adjustment period to D-1 pitching. And, just as it took 1/3 of the season for the current players to get jumpstarted with a new hitting coach, that might happen with some of these guys as well. But I think most would agree Wells has been a significant upgrade here. And, he recruited some of the position players we signed.
    Most of you believe Wells has done a really good job in his first season. I agree and believe he'll only get better.

This is why I'm optimistic. How much of a turnaround will there be? Who knows. We won't hit on 100% of the signees...no one does. But we are going to have a lot more talent, especially on the mound, than we do this year.

So if you want to be skeptical, that's your right. If you want to dwell on how bad we are this year and think the only way to fix it is to make more staff changes, that's fine too.

But don't make the mistake of thinking my optimism is out of blind loyalty. Stop with the accusations about being a mouthpiece. Next to Turbine, I'm probably the most analytical guy on this board. With what I do, if my emotions dictated everything, I'd have died by now.

I truly believe we are going to be considerably better next year. Time will tell if I'm right.

Have a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I think this is an excellent post. Robe talked about this on his radio show the other night. THIS is one of the reasons why we adjusted the staff so someone could spend more time on the road. There are a lot of successful programs doing this. And, I agree, we are playing catch up. It's easy to sit back now and say we should have done this sooner. Nothing we can do about that now.

So many of you are criticizing those (including me) who believe we are going to get this thing turned around. And, many of you think I feel that way because of blind loyalty. Robe's track record does give me confidence. But that isn't the whole story.

It's pretty obvious what our problem has been this year. And, it's one of the few years we've had a problem in that regard. We have a team ERA over five. That's unheard of with this program. We need better talent.

We signed two JUCO pitchers early. We're getting five more. Two of them won't be announced because we are getting them for free the first year (that includes the Texas Tech transfer.) That's seven guys. All of them are power arms. Your most successful programs have gotten it done with guys who have giddyup. Connor Angel may wind up on campus because he has a high asking price. Here's a 6-5 guy who throws 93-96. These are the kind of guys we are bringing in.

JT is recruiting full time now but he isn't the only one recruiting. Wells is known as a "vicious recruiter" as one opposing coach told me. And, Freeman has done a good job of identifying talent, especially on the mound.

We've had tremendous results with JUCO pitchers over the years. Have we missed on a few? Sure. Everyone does. But the track record here is very good.

For me, the unknown is the JUCO position guys. Some of them have an adjustment period to D-1 pitching. And, just as it took 1/3 of the season for the current players to get jumpstarted with a new hitting coach, that might happen with some of these guys as well. But I think most would agree Wells has been a significant upgrade here. And, he recruited some of the position players we signed.
    Most of you believe Wells has done a really good job in his first season. I agree and believe he'll only get better.

This is why I'm optimistic. How much of a turnaround will there be? Who knows. We won't hit on 100% of the signees...no one does. But we are going to have a lot more talent, especially on the mound, than we do this year.

So if you want to be skeptical, that's your right. If you want to dwell on how bad we are this year and think the only way to fix it is to make more staff changes, that's fine too.

But don't make the mistake of thinking my optimism is out of blind loyalty. Stop with the accusations about being a mouthpiece. Next to Turbine, I'm probably the most analytical guy on this board. With what I do, if my emotions dictated everything, I'd have died by now.

I truly believe we are going to be considerably better next year. Time will tell if I'm right.

Have a good weekend.
    Good post there, too. I'm sad we are playing catch-up, but better late than never. JT's issues as a hitting coach didn't help fans' perceptions when he slid into the recruiting role, but the two roles are different. Hopefully this is his wheelhouse. I'll keep the faith. Also, we may have been a little distracted building a ballpark, changing AD's, while recruiting morphed into verballing freshmen in high school, leaving us with recruiting left-overs with a few notable exceptions.

I hope the coaching staff gets enough time to right the ship. Judging by who isn't in the stands, many have voted with their feet. This next herd of ponies needs to have a bunch in the money. If so, we'll be fine.

You have a good weekend too. Plenty of sunscreen at the beach!

1 question I would have is: Of the JUCO pitchers that we are getting, how many are damaged goods? We have seen in the recent that for whatever reason, our pitchers are not responding to treatment. We give enough 2nd chances. I want better 1st chances coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    1 question I would have is: Of the JUCO pitchers that we are getting, how many are damaged goods? We have seen in the recent that for whatever reason, our pitchers are not responding to treatment. We give enough 2nd chances. I want better 1st chances coming here.
    Which juco pitchers were damaged goods?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Which juco pitchers were damaged goods?
    Sorry, I should not have said juco. Should have said transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    Sorry, I should not have said juco. Should have said transfers.
    Still only 1 guy

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information