Thread: OT: Shave Brush

Default OT: Shave Brush

Not sure how many of you guys are into traditional wet shaving but its something that I have been enjoying for a while. Recently it has become more of a hobby as I have discovered many artesian soaps and custom brushes.

I just ordered a custom Ragin Cajuns shave brush. Here is a pic. Guy who custom made it is from around Opelousas and lives around Denham Springs now. He makes tons of custom designs. Send me a DM if you want info.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: OT: Shave Brush

I have been using a badger brush for years. I also use the traditional double edge safety razor. You can get a pack of five Wilkinson sword classic razor blades for about a $1.20 at drug emporium. Try to get five of any other type of razor blade for that. You can get creative with soaps but the one I use is the Williams mug shaving soap. $1.08 at drug emporium. It last about 2 months. If you do the math it's less than about 3 cents a shave. Kind of hard to beat that. I kind of like shaving the old fashioned way.

3. Default Re: OT: Shave Brush

I read it as “Shave Bush”.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thought that was an interesting thread name, myself.

Very cool bRush.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Hey whatever floats your boat. haha

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I have been using a badger brush for years. I also use the traditional double edge safety razor. You can get a pack of five Wilkinson sword classic razor blades for about a $1.20 at drug emporium. Try to get five of any other type of razor blade for that. You can get creative with soaps but the one I use is the Williams mug shaving soap. $1.08 at drug emporium. It last about 2 months. If you do the math it's less than about 3 cents a shave. Kind of hard to beat that. I kind of like shaving the old fashioned way.
    That is kind of how I got started as well. I was tired of paying $30+ for a pack of cartridge razors. For 3 or 4 years, I have been using the same setup. Feather blades off of Amazon. A pack of 50 for about $10 literally lasts me over a year. Barbasol can cream.

Over the past 5 months or so I have joined a few Facebook groups and my cheap shaving has exploded into a hobby. I will say that I truly enjoy shaving now. Products on the market these days are top notch.

My thanks to you guys for bringing back memories of our late RP and tailgate friend John Ayers, aka California Cajun. But you guys are newbies. John was a straight razor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    Hey whatever floats your boat. haha

That is kind of how I got started as well. I was tired of paying $30+ for a pack of cartridge razors. For 3 or 4 years, I have been using the same setup. Feather blades off of Amazon. A pack of 50 for about $10 literally lasts me over a year. Barbasol can cream.

Over the past 5 months or so I have joined a few Facebook groups and my cheap shaving has exploded into a hobby. I will say that I truly enjoy shaving now. Products on the market these days are top notch.
    I also use the Clubman after shave talc. I put it on with a neck duster. If you want to get a great shave place a wet clean dish towel in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds. Take it out and let it stay on your beard. It does the trick. Old school shaving but not as old school as a straight razor.

Didn’t realize Cal. Cajun was a straight razor shaver. I tried a straight razor for a short time. I don’t have the patience or coordination to get proficient with it.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    My thanks to you guys for bringing back memories of our late RP and tailgate friend John Ayers, aka California Cajun. But you guys are newbies. John was a straight razor guy.
    Damn, when I opened the thread was thinking California Cajun would have been the OP. Didn’t know he passed. He was definitely into his shaving gear and I enjoyed reading his recommendations here on RP.

Thread Information