Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

1. UL Football Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

More than halfway through spring practice, two newcomers have emerged as the top candidates for UL’s backup quarterback job.

Ragin’ Cajuns coach Billy Napier said after Tuesday night’s practice that juco-transfer Jai’ave Magalei and early high school enrollee Clifton McDowell have “started to emerge” in battle to be the No. 2, and at this point No. 1 Levi Lewis is “on a different level compared to those two rookies.”

2. Default Re: Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

This comment has to be killing some anti Lewis guys. I tend to agree that Lewis in the past looks lost in live games. Hopefully he’ll be vastly improved.

Default Re: Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    This comment has to be killing some anti Lewis guys. I tend to agree that Lewis in the past looks lost in live games. Hopefully he’ll be vastly improved.
    Might be killing some anti-Lewis guys, but it's really logical that he'd be nro 1 at this point.

This comment has to be killing some anti Lewis guys. I tend to agree that Lewis in the past looks lost in live games. Hopefully he'll be vastly improved.
    One guy has had 1.5 years in an offense the others 2 months I will wait until August before taking any stock in who is going to be our QB

I tell you what I didn't really jai'ave was that thick.
    Also from what I saw today, Levi looked the best

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    One guy has had 1.5 years in an offense the others 2 months I will wait until August before taking any stock in who is going to be our QB
    Yep, not to mention he is limited for conditioning. But it would surprise me that both play this season either.

I'm anti Lewis but I'm trying to be realistic as well. At this point, he should be a clear number 1. I just hope that changes by late August. #2 & #3 need to put in work.

With good coaching and work ethic comes progression. Lewis may have a ceiling but that doesn't mean he can't become a productive starter by the beginning of the season.

You guys do realize his production, in a very limited role, was just as good as last years starter. He will only get better with increased reps.

10. Default Re: Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

Sorry to hear that Quenton Gibson left the program. But we were heavy at that position and he probably saw that he was going to be 4th or 5th on the depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Sorry to hear that Quenton Gibson left the program. But we were heavy at that position and he probably saw that he was going to be 4th or 5th on the depth chart.
    I'm sure there will be some more attrition from the QB room at some point

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    You guys do realize his production, in a very limited role, was just as good as last years starter. He will only get better with increased reps.
    Last years starter was not very good and he and Lewis both hampered our offense more than helped it

13. Default Re: Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Last years starter was not very good and he and Lewis both hampered our offense more than helped it
    Geeezzzes Lany, it’s only April 5

14. Default Re: Contenders emerge for Cajuns' #2 QB Slot

I don't know if I would say that Nunez was not very good. We needed better, but Nunez was more than sufficient.

I liked his moxy and yes he made some mistakes, but not very good would be an overstatement.

The guy completed 63.41% of his passes, with 20 TD's. The 12 INT's were a little high, he also threw for 2272 yards, which was 162.29 yards per game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Geeezzzes Lany, it's only April 5
    Not saying either was terrible but neither were very good either both missed a ton of throws.

Our limitations were stretching the field anything over 15 yards out was a 50/50 jump ball .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information