Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Yvette Girouard Field Named for Architect of Lady Cajuns Softball

1. UL Softball Yvette Girouard Field Named for Architect of Lady Cajuns Softball

The architect of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Softball,_Yvette Girouard, will have her name inscribed in one more location in Lafayette, Louisiana, after a coaching career that saw her claim numerous marks in the program's record book. Announced on_Friday, the home of the Ragin' Cajuns will be known as Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park.

Girouard, who founded the tradition-rich program herself in 1981, compiled a remarkable 758-251 coaching record leading Louisiana to attain status as the school's all-time winningest head coach. The Ragin' Cajuns advanced to three Women's College World Series_(1993, 1995, 1996) under her watch, making 10 NCAA Tournament appearances, overall (1990-97; 1999-2000).

"As the original architect of Ragin' Cajuns Softball, Yvette Girouard built one of the all-time great softball programs across the entire nation," Director of Athletics_Bryan Maggard_said. "The standard for excellence she cultivated during her 20 years leading Louisiana remains as the benchmark at which we annually set our sights. She coached 13 Academic All-Americans, which shows her total commitment to the overall student-athlete experience. This naming is the most deserving way we can honor Yvette for all she has done for the University, the community and the sport of softball. From this day forward, Cajun Nation will cheer for Louisiana Softball on Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park."

A Louisiana Athletics Hall of Fame inductee in 2018, Girouard was twice named the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) National Coach of the Year, earning the honor in both 1990 and 1993. Her national reputation was well earned, as she coached the Ragin' Cajuns to three 50-win seasons, seven 40-win seasons and six Top-10 national poll finishes. An outstanding 28 All-America honors were awarded to Ragin' Cajuns under Girouard's tutelage, as well as 13 Academic All-Americans.

"Coach Girouard is a highly respected coach and leader, both in her hometown area and throughout the softball world," Louisiana Softball head coach_Gerry Glasco_said. "She is arguably one of the most successful coaches in the history of our sport. To honor that great success, and the notoriety she created and instilled in our program as its architect, is a great privilege and the honor of a lifetime."

A streak that has continued rolling to this day, Girouard's program accumulated 19 consecutive winning seasons from 1982-2000. Glasco's squad stretched that streak to Louisiana's 37th-straight winning campaign last season.

Girouard was inducted into the NFCA Hall of Fame in 2005. She was selected to the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in the organization's 2015 class.

The rest of the story
    Louisiana AD

Default Re: Architect of Lady Cajuns Softball Honored with Unveiling of Yvette Girouard Field

I hear all men rooms st the park will carry the title Flush Lotief at Lamson Park.or maybe it's Lotief Flush at Lamson.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I hear all men rooms st the park will carry the title Flush Lotief at Lamson Park.or maybe it's Lotief Flush at Lamson.
    Who?

Default Re: Softball vs Troy

Wow, did anyone know they were changing the name of the field?

Default Re: Architect of Lady Cajuns Softball Honored with Unveiling of Yvette Girouard Field

Congrats to Yvette. Well deserved.

Is this permentant? I thought it was only for alumni weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    Wow, did anyone know they were changing the name of the field?
    What was the name of the field before?

8. Default Re: Softball vs Troy

Don’t think they had a field name. Just Lamson Park

I hate it. She burned the bridges when she left the way she did. The red team. Ulled us to death. Hate it

Congrats girls. Y’all are the best under the best coach we have ever had

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    I hate it. She burned the bridges when she left the way she did. The red team. Ulled us to death. Hate it

I don’t have any inside info but my gut feeling says ML did some nasty ____ behind the scenes and while her actions were still not flattering, more understandable IMO. Pure speculation though.

Perhaps our forgiveness will pay bigger dividends and bring benefits going forward. You would think Maggard would have a reason for going with something like that as far as tangible benefits

So this is permanent? I thought maybe it was just for one night or one weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    So this is permanent? I thought maybe it was just for one night or one weekend.
    All the promotion around it seems permanent.

14. Default Re: Softball vs Troy

She left angry, and made some errors. She’s reconciled and Cajuns are a forgiving lot

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    What was the name of the field before?
    I think Lotief had coined it 'uncut grass field at Lamson Park'.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information