Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Why are expectations so high?

Default Why are expectations so high?

Just making sure I'm getting this correct. We have two guys in our starting lineup that left another local school because they weren't getting enough playing time (May show up big when things don't go their way again). We do not have a true first baseman, so we rotate between four outfielders and a catcher. One of our starting outfielders was brought in to attempt to close a game, who I think hasn't pitched since high school. One of our outfielders/first baseman/DH was a 3rd team All American in high school and has gotten worse with this staff. We expect our catcher, who barely hit .200 with 4 HR's his last full season to now hit .350 with 15 HR's.

Blame it on who you want, but seems like its a recruiting/developmental issue.

But my question is, why were everyone's expectations so high at beginning of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedFan View Post
    Just making sure I'm getting this correct. We have two guys in our starting lineup that left another local school because they weren't getting enough playing time (May show up big when things don't go their way again). We do not have a true first baseman, so we rotate between four outfielders and a catcher. One of our starting outfielders was brought in to attempt to close a game, who I think hasn't pitched since high school. One of our outfielders/first baseman/DH was a 3rd team All American in high school and has gotten worse with this staff. We expect our catcher, who barely hit .200 with 4 HR's his last full season to now hit .350 with 15 HR's.

But my question is, why were everyone's expectations so high at beginning of the year?
    Hope.I don't think anyone is truly surprised by what is going on. I think we hoped that things would come together and the new pieces would lift us up. It may come to be, but isn't the case so far.

Default Re: Why are expectations so high?

What should our expectations be?

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    What should our expectations be?
    Good question, but I know my expectations were no where near top 25 and having to win conference tournament to get into a regional.

It's a shame, because unless the regional would be at LSU, you wouldn't find another atmosphere like the one here.

Let’s use Lott for example, kid goes to cape cod and supposedly ripped the cove off the ball. But has never really lived up to his potential in a Cajun uniform. This tends to happen on a regular basis.

Cantrell’s hitting woes are very obvious and very fixable. (If your the superstitious type) He used the same walk out song as a Sr in high school and a freshman last year. This year he changed it. Just go back to your old walk out song Hayden and all will be well again.

I don’t consider playing fundamental baseball as being high expectations.

The university and its fan have invested in the baseball program. Our diamond sports have reached a level of past success and support that expectations should be high.

For baseball, we should not be missing out on a Regional bid three seasons in a row. Regionals is Top 64 in the country. We should be at a point in baseball where that is more the norm than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    The university and its fan have invested in the baseball program. Our diamond sports have reached a level of past success and support that expectations should be high.

For baseball, we should not be missing out on a Regional bid three seasons in a row. Regionals is Top 64 in the country. We should be at a point in baseball where that is more the norm than not.
    Our expectations as a fan base overall, I guess, should be high. But looking at the roster buildup and especially the use of the players on the rosters brings expectations way down. Not blaming kids. Starts at the top

The Texas series was about what I expected. The SHSU series was mind boggling. The LaTech midweek was typical. The Maryland series was a relief. It seems like we may not be able to settle into any particular expectation from week to week. A frustrating struggle for fans and players, but hopefully somehow rewarding in the end. Interestingly, Texas swept LSU. We were a play or two from taking the series vs Texas.

We also have a multitude of player on this roster that had offers to SEC/BIG12/PAC10 schools. Just the cathedral we play in alone should demand excellence, let alone our tradition. With that said I don't think anyone, outside of a few, expected us to be 10-0 at the moment but I sure as ____ expected us to be +.500.

I'd say that I have "aspirations" and not "expectations" when it comes to Cajun sports. There always seems to be a gut punch involved at sometime so I tend to not get too high.

My aspirations this year for baseball was to win the west division. I wanted the team to hit better and that hasn't been the case (.229 as a team).

We've been to the CWS (albeit nearly 20 years ago.) We've been #1. We have stretches of winning conference championships, going to regionals, winning regionals, hosting both regionals and super regionals. We have a great new stadium that the play on the field has not matched.

Of course fans will have high expectations. Whether they are justified or not is of no consequence. Fans want to see their team perform at a high level and it's much more fun to simply "hope" that that will happen. Naturally, when you get a big dose of reality after watching a bunch of bad baseball some fans have to go through the 5 stages of grief before they reassess expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I'd say that I have "aspirations" and not "expectations" when it comes to Cajun sports. There always seems to be a gut punch involved at sometime so I tend to not get too high.

My aspirations this year for baseball was to win the west division. I wanted the team to hit better and that hasn't been the case (.229 as a team).
    I think this is a fair assessment. With the changes made in the staff and a few additions on the roster my expectations are to win the Western Division and play our way into a Regional from the SBC Tournament. We are not as good Coastal Carolina, but we need to be soon much like App. State in football.

I realize that we are replacing some good arms in the bullpen, but our hitting approach was changed and we are just not seeing much of a difference from last season. I realize we have faced Texas and Sam Houston and now Maryland, but we had opportunities to win more of these games and have just failed to close the door when given the chance.

This team needs to find a identity and do the small things well. But it needs to be fixed before conference play.

We have a $18 mill stadium, top 15 attendance, a #1 team 5 years ago. Any HC's dream as far as recruiting but where the players at?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    We also have a multitude of player on this roster that had offers to SEC/BIG12/PAC10 schools. Just the cathedral we play in alone should demand excellence, let alone our tradition. With that said I don't think anyone, outside of a few, expected us to be 10-0 at the moment but I sure as ____ expected us to be +.500.
    Can you list what players turned down offers to P5 schools to come here other than Cantrelle? I don’t follow the recruiting process very closely. All I know is what I see on the field

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information