Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Why are expectations so high?

Default Re: Why are expectations so high?

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedFan View Post
    Just making sure I'm getting this correct. We have two guys in our starting lineup that left another local school because they weren't getting enough playing time (May show up big when things don't go their way again). We do not have a true first baseman, so we rotate between four outfielders and a catcher. One of our starting outfielders was brought in to attempt to close a game, who I think hasn't pitched since high school. One of our outfielders/first baseman/DH was a 3rd team All American in high school and has gotten worse with this staff. We expect our catcher, who barely hit .200 with 4 HR's his last full season to now hit .350 with 15 HR's.

Blame it on who you want, but seems like its a recruiting/developmental issue.

But my question is, why were everyone's expectations so high beginning of the year?
    We do not develop players and haven't for a while now. This is a recruiting issue. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Can you list what players turned down offers to P5 schools to come here other than Cantrelle? I don’t follow the recruiting process very closely. All I know is what I see on the field
    Off the top of my head I honestly can't.hope I'm not talking out of my ___. Lott and a handful of outfields and pitchers come to mind but I don't recall any names.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    We do not develop players and haven't for a while now. This is a recruiting issue. Period.
    Can you name a player who was drafted in a lesser round after he left than he was drafted in before he got on campus?

I

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Off the top of my head I honestly can't.hope I'm not talking out of my ___. Lott and a handful of outfields and pitchers come to mind but I don't recall any names.
    I believe u. Just was curious who they were

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Why are expectations so high?

Back to the Fire Talbot, or its all Talbot's fault again? The horse is dead, please, stop whipping it.

6. Default Re: Why are expectations so high?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLeblanc View Post
    Back to the Fire Talbot, or its all Talbot's fault again? The horse is dead, please, stop whipping it.
    WRONG again Joe. They keep whipping that horse cause he is still in the race.

Recruiting and development has been absolutely abysmal since the minute Deggs left.

Talbot is still here recruiting, so if it was all his fault he would be gone. He was the full time hitting coach the last few seasons and part time recruiting because he could not get out on the road while coaching in the 3rd base box and hitters. Ultimately all those decisions are Coach Robichauxs and one of things done was to get the funding for Coach Babbs position on scheduling and operations full time.

Hiring Wells was the second step, getting a young hitting coach that can relate to the modern player with a track record. We are 10 games into the season and it's been ugly thus far. But considering this guys track record, I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt this season.

The same goes for JT and recruiting full time. He has one class in his current position and those players will hit the field next season. I'm not expecting miracles this year, but I don't think it's out of the question to expect better than what we have seen to this point.

The fire Talbot horse is dean and so is the fire Robichaux horse. Unlike another coach in our program, he has at least made changes in trying to improve his program.

We got a new stadium from having the #1 team in 2014. That's about it. I dont see any other benefits gained from that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Can you name a player who was drafted in a lesser round after he left than he was drafted in before he got on campus?
    Seriously ?? That has zero to do with what I’m talking about. I’m talking about taking a player that you signed and get on campus and make that player better than what he was when he got here. I won’t start calling out kids but there is a long list going back the last 3-4 years.

11. Default Re: Why are expectations so high?

Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    This is such a small subset (players drafted both out of high school and again out of college) that it would not be very indicative, one way or the other, of the state of development of players by this staff.

It’s a shared responsibility my friend. Do what you want with that thought. You can take that one in all kinds of different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunologist View Post
    We got a new stadium from having the #1 team in 2014. That's about it. I dont see any other benefits gained from that run.
    Actually, I'd say you got a new stadium because the Russo family thought so much of Tony that they ponied up the initial funding to get the process started. Without that, you're still looking at a wish list and a preliminary drawing of stadium possibilities.

Mid major college athletics tend to be cyclical. College baseball tends to be volatile with lots of movement up and down the RPI list, excepting the perennial top 10.

I think we were 12 years between Super Regionals. It seems we are bottoming out somewhere near here.

I was going to say bottoms are not pretty, but it all depends on the bottom.

Certainly has been dissappointing start to the season. One thing to keep in mind though moving forward is that only one game was decided by more than two runs. It won't take a huge change to turn this around. Slight changes in all three aspects of the game could make a big swing in the win/lose column.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information