Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    The "make sure it's your pitch" philosophy is obviously flawed. Especially at this level. College players make errors.see our team last night. Take your rips early in the count, but you have to put the ball in play with 2 strikes.

That said, the biggest issue with this team is that NOBODY is doing any damage when they do get "their pitch".
    The two times you should "make sure it's your pitch" are 1st pitch and a 3 and 1 count.jmo

Default Re: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

Isn’t one of the oldest adages in baseball “choke up and protect the plate with 2 strikes”?

ETA: I guess we will never see a 10 or 11 pitch at bat with our guys fouling pitch after pitch off working the pitcher until
    He gets one he can drive.

Are re trying to reinvent the game?

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Isn’t one of the oldest adages in baseball “choke up and protect the plate with 2 strikes”?

ETA: I guess we will never see a 10 or 11 pitch at bat with our guys fouling pitch after pitch off working the pitcher until
    He gets one he can drive.

Are re trying to reinvent the game?
    Most guys who get paid to coach baseball over-complicate the game. Most also spend too much time and effort trying to fix things that aren't really broken.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    The two times you should "make sure it's your pitch" are 1st pitch and a 3 and 1 count.jmo
    I endorse this philosophy, except I would include 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 and 3-0. I acknowledge that my offensive philosophy is much more aggressive than most people are co__ortable with.

5. Default Re: Baseball vs Maryland Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLeblanc View Post
    Well the problem as I see it, as I’ve mentioned before is there NO SHAME in striking out anymore. How many times have you players not even swing. It’s rampant at all levels of baseball. The teaching method I guess is don’t swing unless it’s “your” pitch.
    so early in the season, how would they have enough data to determine where their better hitting zones are yet?

Default Re: Baseball vs Maryland Game 1

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    so early in the season, how would they have enough data to determine where their better hitting zones are yet?
    Because most of them have been playing organized baseball for 14-18 years. If they don't know both their "sweet spot" and the holes in thir swing by now, they have no business playing college baseball.

It worked today, stand there for 14 innings and someone got hit for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Most guys who get paid to coach baseball over-complicate the game. Most also spend too much time and effort trying to fix things that aren't really broken.
    This^ times 10,000,000

9. Default Re: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    WRONG - the other team made an error for a win when we demonstrated for 5 innings we could not push the winnning run across. However, the W looks all the same in the record. Thanks Maryland for putting us out of our misery, for a minute at least. Back to the ball park for another.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Trying to justify a pay check

11. Default Re: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Trying to justify a pay check
    All the money I have paid for coaching, I would have paid a sur charge to pass up the “fixing what was not broken”. This is so damn true.

12. Default Re: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Why does it feel like the bat on ball broke protocol?

13. Default Re: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Why does it feel like the bat on ball broke protocol?
    Bunting is definitely not an alternate solution with this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    All I know is when we had that crooked inning in game 2 against Texas, MAT came here beating his chest about Wells and how right he was about Wells. But since then he’s been real quiet on Wells
    Reeeeeaaaal Quiet

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Reeeeeaaaal Quiet
    Admittedly, I was pretty happy with Wells at that time too. The jury is still out on him for me but I see concerning things offensively. I think he should be judged over an entire season at the very least, though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information