Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two Strikes and a Philosophy

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLeblanc View Post
    What’s is stay in the box even supposed to mean?
    All I know is when we had that crooked inning in game 2 against Texas, MAT came here beating his chest about Wells and how right he was about Wells. But since then he’s been real quiet on Wells

Default Re: Baseball vs Maryland Game 1

Well the problem as I see it, as I’ve mentioned before is there NO SHAME in striking out anymore. How many times have you players not even swing. It’s rampant at all levels of baseball. The teaching method I guess is don’t swing unless it’s “your” pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I don't even remember which thread but TalktomeWilliscame in and said that the philosophy is to stay in your box even with 2 strikes. That is why we are seeing so many called 3rd strikes. No one batted an eye.
    Stay in your box, move closer to the plate, back away from the plate, choke up, winden your stance yotta yotta yotta, it's all BS. Go ask a professional hitting coach about all that garbage. They don't care if you do a cartwheel with two strikes. Your job is to make contact and make the defense make a play and give your team a chance. This ain't rocket science as this group of coaches may want you to believe. Bottom line is you have to be co__ortable as a hitter no matter the approach and these dudes look like corpses at the plate with two strikes.

Well the problem as I see it, as I’ve mentioned before is there NO SHAME in striking out anymore. How many times have you players not even swing. It’s rampant at all levels of baseball. The teaching method I guess is don’t swing unless it’s “your” pitch.
    Striking out is NOT ok with runners on base sir. Never is that ok.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Stay in your box, move closer to the plate, back away from the plate, choke up, winden your stance yotta yotta yotta, it’s all BS. Go ask a professional hitting coach about all that garbage. They don’t care if you do a cartwheel with two strikes. Your job is to make contact and make the defense make a play and give your team a chance. This ain’t rocket science as this group of coaches may want you to believe. Bottom line is you have to be co__ortable as a hitter no matter the approach and these dudes look like corpses at the plate with two strikes.
    See the ball. Hit the ball. Craig Counsel and Jeff Bagwell didn’t need their swing/stance fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    See the ball. Hit the ball. Craig Counsel and Jeff Bagwell didn’t need their swing/stance fixed.
    That’s basically the Deggs approach. Don’t be soft, and the mechanics of swinging don’t matter as long as it makes contact. It worked pretty well when he was here.

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    Striking out is NOT ok with runners on base sir. Never is that ok.
    I agree. I’d say it’s never ok to strike out, but I understand it’s baseball. At least swing the bat if you are going to strike out is all I’m saying

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    That’s basically the Deggs approach. Don’t be soft, and the mechanics of swinging don’t matter as long as it makes contact. It worked pretty well when he was here.
    As well as against us last weekend....

If some of these guy are waiting for their pitch to hit, they will be waiting a very long time. A few of these guys don't have a pitch to hit and there are too many like that to hide at the end of the line up.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    If some of these guy are waiting for their pitch to hit, they will be waiting a very long time. A few of these guys don't have a pitch to hit and there are too many like that to hide at the end of the line up.
    Until someone in this lineup makes a pitcher pay for a mistake, opposing coaching will continue to attack. At this moment, no one is punishing bad pitches.

The "make sure it's your pitch" philosophy is obviously flawed. Especially at this level. College players make errors...see our team last night. Take your rips early in the count, but you have to put the ball in play with 2 strikes.

That said, the biggest issue with this team is that NOBODY is doing any damage when they do get "their pitch".

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Agreed but why were we overacting in inning 2 of game 2?
    In MAT’s defense as well as my own, I saw a different team the first weekend of the season. It’s now obvious they don’t have the toughness to take a punch. I do think if a couple plays go differently, we win the series against Texas and we may be sitting a little better today. That would be the case UNTIL we got punched in the mouth and fell apart.

I agree. I’d say it’s never ok to strike out, but I understand it’s baseball. At least swing the bat if you are going to strike out is all I’m saying
    I used to tell the kids in little league, if you're not going to swing I might as well send you up there with no bat.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Until someone in this lineup makes a pitcher pay for a mistake, opposing coaching will continue to attack. At this moment, no one is punishing bad pitches.
    100%. It's college baseball. We are facing pitchers that at best, make a couple of mistakes each inning.

Gunner got away with a couple of hangers last night too, but we usually have our knees buckled, turn 180 degrees and head back to the bench.

What's the philosophy?
    Taking a call strike 3 is unacceptable to me. We have been seeing this trend for the 4 or 5 years. Swing at the close ones when you have 2 strikes. One can’t read the umpires mind, the call em so close, so why not swing at em, if you strike swinging, better than striking out looking

GEAUX CAJUNS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information