Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

Default Re: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    I do not get why we call time outs on 6-0 and 4-0 runs, Marlin is quick to burn a TO at these parts of the game, but then not use a timeout on last possession to set up a nice play to win the game.
    You'll see a lot of coaches do this, where they actually bypass the TO. I get it. Its so the defense can not set up their defense. If you have smart players and playmakers, it can work in your favorite as you are letting your guys go out and make a play. Plus, you may very well get a better look out of it rather than trying to isolate a guy for that shot. I didn't really have a problem with letting them go out and try to make the play. As most here stated, they thought that Stroman was going to keep it. I would have thought that if Stroman doesn't take it to the hole, I want the ball in either Gant or Russell's hands. That's it.

2. UL Basketball Re: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

Did you just say he calls time outs after 4-0 and 6-0 runs to set up his defense. That has to be the dumbest ISH I have ever heard. So to get to the 4-0 and 6-0 runs what defense were they in? And if you get on a 4-0 and 6-0 run you call a time out to set up a different defense? Being paid that much is definitely a blessing, because in 10 years we have gone to the NCAA 1 time.
    I've been told he calls those so that the opposing coaches can chew on their teams while they're feeling bad about themselves. It's physiological warfar.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You'll see a lot of coaches do this, where they actually bypass the TO. I get it. Its so the defense can not set up their defense. If you have smart players and playmakers, it can work in your favorite as you are letting your guys go out and make a play. Plus, you may very well get a better look out of it rather than trying to isolate a guy for that shot. I didn't really have a problem with letting them go out and try to make the play. As most here stated, they thought that Stroman was going to keep it. I would have thought that if Stroman doesn't take it to the hole, I want the ball in either Gant or Russell's hands. That's it.
    That was my only issue on the last play. The ball should find Russell's hand on the last play. He had the hot hand the entire second half.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I've been told he calls those so that the opposing coaches can chew on their teams while they're feeling bad about themselves. It's physiological warfar.
    Once again, that is dumb. Most times, they come out after the time out and get a bucket and the run is killed.

Did you just say he calls time outs after 4-0 and 6-0 runs to set up his defense. That has to be the dumbest ISH I have ever heard. So to get to the 4-0 and 6-0 runs what defense were they in? And if you get on a 4-0 and 6-0 run you call a time out to set up a different defense? Being paid that much is definitely a blessing, because in 10 years we have gone to the NCAA 1 time.
    Hey don’t shoot the messenger. I hate it as it kills all momentum and saves the other team from calling a timeout. And like you said the opposing team normally scores out of the timeout.

i could have sworn we were out of timeouts for the last possession

A gamer? Look, I'm not looking to get into an argument here as you obviously have an affinity for Miller and I don't want to get into a bashing thread here but what about his play this year has told you that he is a gamer or somebody you can put the ball in his hands in crunchtime? Confidence is great but it doesn't put the ball in the hole if you aren't a solid shooter. You may not care about his percentage but it is an indicator of how poorly he's shot the ball this year. It is true that Russell and Hardy's percentages are down a bit too but A) they are shooting a lot more which will affect your percentage downward and B) they're shots are typically contested as they are scouted as shooters for our team and they are not as big of a threat to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.

Having said that, with the way Russell was playing in this game, do you still think that Miller is the best guy to shoot that ball in that situation? Even over Russell? For me, Russell and Gant would have been the only two guys I wanted shooting that ball in that situation. Period.
    Lol!! Affinity for Miller? Probably thinking I have an affinity for UL basketball team. Look, not looking for an argument, as that never ends well. Only stating MY opinion.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think I did say Marcus continuing to the goal was the best option or Ced having the ball in his hands.
    Side NoteYou don't score 22 on Kansas(in a half) by accident. IJS

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    i could have sworn we were out of timeouts for the last possession
    Had 1 left.

Quote Originally Posted by phard317 View Post
    Lol!! Affinity for Miller? Probably thinking I have an affinity for UL basketball team. Look, not looking for an argument, as that never ends well. Only stating MY opinion.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think I did say Marcus continuing to the goal was the best option or Ced having the ball in his hands.
    Side NoteYou don't score 22 on Kansas(in a half) by accident. IJS
    Well, I've heard people defend him here but calling him a "gamer" has never been one of the comparisons. He may have the confidence to hit the shot but his production on offense this year would suggest something different, certainly different from hitting 6 out of 9 in a game winning situation. You are entitled to that opinion and I'll debate it without getting out of hand. I say I don't want to argue it because I don't want to make it look like i hammer him all the time. I've said he is a maddening player. He can make a great play or two and then cost us 6 points with turnovers, poor shot selection and bad defense.

Sure he played well against Kansas. My question is where has that been the rest of the year? He averages 9 points a game on a team that is void of major scoring options outside of Gant and Stroman.

Well, I've heard people defend him here but calling him a "gamer" has never been one of the comparisons. He may have the confidence to hit the shot but his production on offense this year would suggest something different, certainly different from hitting 6 out of 9 in a game winning situation. You are entitled to that opinion and I'll debate it without getting out of hand. I say I don't want to argue it because I don't want to make it look like i hammer him all the time. I've said he is a maddening player. He can make a great play or two and then cost us 6 points with turnovers, poor shot selection and bad defense.

Sure he played well against Kansas. My question is where has that been the rest of the year? He averages 9 points a game on a team that is void of major scoring options outside of Gant and Stroman.
    You pretty much fall into Miller debates by default.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    You pretty much fall into Miller debates by default.
    Yeah, my only concern is why there is even a debate at alllol

Ohhh, don't get me wrong! I've been critical(extremely) of Justin at times. You've got to remember, when we played against Kansas, he was not supposed to be the focal point of our offense at that time(pure happenstance). Hence his decreased minutes. I'm thinking that they wanted him to focus more on his rebounding and defense(Weaknesses). Now, he has began to play much better in my opinion. He seems to be trying to do whatever is necessary for us to win rather than just trying to be the Man.
    He's one of those guys that will have you cussing out loud. However, you never have to wonder where his heart is at. Kinda have to take the good with the bad. I think he's on his way to becoming a regular double double guy.

Quote Originally Posted by phard317 View Post
    Ohhh, don't get me wrong! I've been critical(extremely) of Justin at times. You've got to remember, when we played against Kansas, he was not supposed to be the focal point of our offense at that time(pure happenstance). Hence his decreased minutes. I'm thinking that they wanted him to focus more on his rebounding and defense(Weaknesses). Now, he has began to play much better in my opinion. He seems to be trying to do whatever is necessary for us to win rather than just trying to be the Man.
    He's one of those guys that will have you cussing out loud. However, you never have to wonder where his heart is at. Kinda have to take the good with the bad. I think he's on his way to becoming a regular double double guy.
    I would agree he's been playing better lately because he's not trying to do as much as he was before and has been making some better decisions and good passes. I know his heart is good and I know he wants to win which is why I don't want to make it look like we are bashing him all the time but some here have tried to make him out to be something he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    It's to set up his defense. I don't like it but hey that's why he gets paid 500k and I post on here _____ing about it.
    He has addressed this question on his radio show in the past. Setting up defense is only part of it. He only takes 30 second timeouts in this situation and it is usually unanticipated by the opponent. He believes that will result in nothing but that coach fussing at his players and they won't have time to set anything up. Often when players get yelled at without final encouragement they don't respond well. Now I don't necessarily agree with that strategy. I am just a messenger passing on the logic behind the time out during a positive run. As far as not calling a timeout on the final play, they were Ok with that decision as the opponent gets one as well and can use it to set up their defense.

I would never call a timeout when my team is on a run. My team will get a timeout when the other team calls one. Why did I ever want to disrupt my own team's rhythm?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information