Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    In this situation if you are Marlin you HAVE to stress to Justin not to put the ball on the floor. I would have rathered them run a high pick and roll or pick and pop with Justin or preferably Gant. That type of play is where Justin has had many of his turnovers this year. Quit putting the ball on the floor!
    I presume you are talking about the second to last possession in which he turned the ball over. That was a poor decision. Last possession is one I wish Stroman would have gone to goal vs passing it out for a rushed three. We were only down two.

2. Default Re: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I presume you are talking about the second to last possession in which he turned the ball over. That was a poor decision. Last possession is one I wish Stroman would have gone to goal vs passing it out for a rushed three. We were only down two.
    Yup, but maybe he saw something we didn’t. Maybe the coach said find an open three.

Default Re: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

First of all, Hats off to the Team for battling back after a poor performance to give themselves a chance to win. I too would have like to seen Marcus continue going to the goal, as it looked as though he had his man beat. In a perfect world, I would like to have seen the ball in Ced's hands. He had really developed a hot hand in the second half and was playing really well AND with a ton of confidence. Btw, Justin hits that shot 6 out of 9 times with the game on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Yup, but maybe he saw something we didn’t. Maybe the coach said find an open three.
    In post game Coach did not criticize the decision but he did say he thought Marcus was going to take it to rim. They did not call time out after gaining possession to set up last shot and they were more than OK with that. In last timeout, he may very well have told them an open three late was OK.

5. Default Re: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

You know Stroman is inclined to dish instead of score. That's his mindset, and maybe a weakness at times.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    You know Stroman is inclined to dish instead of score. That's his mindset, and maybe a weakness at times.
    Agree with that analysis of Stroman. When he does have high scoring games it often comes after coaches encourage him to be aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by phard317 View Post
    First of all, Hats off to the Team for battling back after a poor performance to give themselves a chance to win. I too would have like to seen Marcus continue going to the goal, as it looked as though he had his man beat. In a perfect world, I would like to have seen the ball in Ced's hands. He had really developed a hot hand in the second half and was playing really well AND with a ton of confidence. Btw, Justin hits that shot 6 out of 9 times with the game on the line.
    Justin is shooting 29% from 3 this year. He's the last guy I wanted to see shoot it. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure why Davis was not in on those last two possessions instead of Miller. He had been a big part of the lineup that made the comeback. He would have been a better target for that shot.

Agree with that analysis of Stroman. When he does have high scoring games it often comes after coaches encourage him to be aggressive.
    I would tend to believe that Marlin likely thought Stroman was going to the rim as well. That would be the only reason you don't call the timeout there. You don't want to let the defense set up and you have a playmaker with the ball.

To me, doesn't matter what the % is vs. being a gamer. Justin has that kind of confidence and experience in that type of situation. Some kids have it and some kids don't. Kind of thing that you can't teach. PJ is barely shooting 30% and Ced not much higher, however, they hit that shot 8 out of 10 times. (When the game is on the line)
    JD asked to come out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by phard317 View Post
    To me, doesn't matter what the % is vs. being a gamer. Justin has that kind of confidence and experience in that type of situation. Some kids have it and some kids don't. Kind of thing that you can't teach. PJ is barely shooting 30% and Ced not much higher, however, they hit that shot 8 out of 10 times. (When the game is on the line)
    JD asked to come out of the game.
    A gamer? Look, I'm not looking to get into an argument here as you obviously have an affinity for Miller and I don't want to get into a bashing thread here but what about his play this year has told you that he is a gamer or somebody you can put the ball in his hands in crunchtime? Confidence is great but it doesn't put the ball in the hole if you aren't a solid shooter. You may not care about his percentage but it is an indicator of how poorly he's shot the ball this year. It is true that Russell and Hardy's percentages are down a bit too but A) they are shooting a lot more which will affect your percentage downward and B) they're shots are typically contested as they are scouted as shooters for our team and they are not as big of a threat to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.

Having said that, with the way Russell was playing in this game, do you still think that Miller is the best guy to shoot that ball in that situation? Even over Russell? For me, Russell and Gant would have been the only two guys I wanted shooting that ball in that situation. Period.

11. Default Re: MBB G27 Louisiana at Texas State

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    A gamer? Look, I'm not looking to get into an argument here as you obviously have an affinity for Miller and I don't want to get into a bashing thread here but what about his play this year has told you that he is a gamer or somebody you can put the ball in his hands in crunchtime? Confidence is great but it doesn't put the ball in the hole if you aren't a solid shooter. You may not care about his percentage but it is an indicator of how poorly he's shot the ball this year. It is true that Russell and Hardy's percentages are down a bit too but A) they are shooting a lot more which will affect your percentage downward and B) they're shots are typically contested as they are scouted as shooters for our team and they are not as big of a threat to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.

Having said that, with the way Russell was playing in this game, do you still think that Miller is the best guy to shoot that ball in that situation? Even over Russell? For me, Russell and Gant would have been the only two guys I wanted shooting that ball in that situation. Period.
    .Missed the game but thinking maybe Miller taking it to the goal and he is a pretty good FT shooter in the clutch.just a guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .Missed the game but thinking maybe Miller taking it to the goal and he is a pretty good FT shooter in the clutch.just a guess!
    Boomer, he tried to do that on the possession prior to the final one and he turned the ball over.again. He's second on the team in turnovers for that type of reason. Lately he's been doing much better getting the ball out to shooters or guys down low for baskets. IMO when Justin tries to do too much with the ball off the dribble, he puts himself in a bad spot. Again, would you want the ball in his hands over Gant or Russell at that point?

In post game Coach did not criticize the decision but he did say he thought Marcus was going to take it to rim. They did not call time out after gaining possession to set up last shot and they were more than OK with that. In last timeout, he may very well have told them an open three late was OK.
    I do not get why we call time outs on 6-0 and 4-0 runs, Marlin is quick to burn a TO at these parts of the game, but then not use a timeout on last possession to set up a nice play to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    I do not get why we call time outs on 6-0 and 4-0 runs, Marlin is quick to burn a TO at these parts of the game, but then not use a timeout on last possession to set up a nice play to win the game.
    It’s to set up his defense. I don’t like it but hey that’s why he gets paid 500k and I post on here _____ing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    It’s to set up his defense. I don’t like it but hey that’s why he gets paid 500k and I post on here _____ing about it.
    Did you just say he calls time outs after 4-0 and 6-0 runs to set up his defense. That has to be the dumbest ISH I have ever heard. So to get to the 4-0 and 6-0 runs what defense were they in? And if you get on a 4-0 and 6-0 run you call a time out to set up a different defense? Being paid that much is definitely a blessing, because in 10 years we have gone to the NCAA 1 time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information