Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread: MBB G16 Final: Louisiana 76, Georgia State 89

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Yeah, not having our best defender and the one guy who had been shooting consistently from outside all year wouldn’t have changed that game at all. When in the other thread you mentioned a healthy Elfrid will have the Pels safely in the playoffs, and that’s not contradictory how?
    Please provide a link where I said anything about a healthy Elfrid having the Pels safely in the playoffs. I’ve never even posted in that thread.

And no, Marquetti wasn’t the whole team. Blaming shortcomings for one injured player is an excuse to cover for our roster woes due to lack of effective recruiting.

Default Re: MBB GameON: LA vs GASt

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Gant shoots 14-21. Rest of team, 13-45. 3 ptr Cajuns 8-30, GSU 13-24. There is your ball game.

Rebounds 39-32, Cajuns. Turnovers 15-13, GSU. Each made 14 FT, GSU took 7 more.

76-89
    3 pts stat line tells a lot more than you think. GSU made 13 so they should keep shooting right and have more attempts than LA right? Cajuns make 8 so they would not keep throwing shots up right?

3. Default Re: MBB GameON: LA vs GASt

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Thank you Marlin for the beer money anything under -10 GAST is almost cheating
    You're no Pete Rose.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I agree. I don’t see street ball, I see an overmatched team. Most people here like to blame the coach instead of the players. That’s fair because the coach recruited these players, but it is painfully obvious that Coach K couldn’t make this team look good. When you are weak at Guard and small forward you will not win consistently. We have no replacements for Bartley, Stove and now Malik. This year we be all about Gant putting up monster numbers and hoping one of the underclassman guards can learns how to consistently make shots.
    they were not overmatched in this game. they are the same team they have been. play hard, but play mindless ( low IQ) basketball. the amount of wide open 3's they gave up on defense from bad rotations or losing assignment was sad to see. settling for 3's against a zone falls right into the defense plan. they work it inside, drive and kick, a few time with success then go away from it for long stretches. its the mental part of the game where they lost this game.

5. Default Re: MBB G16 Final: Louisiana 76, Georgia State 89

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    And herein lies the issue. It’s year nine, and our recruiting has shortfalls.
    No team is older than 5 years.

More likely 4 at Best

The average is 2.

If you find a team with a nine year veteran call me. Justin Venable wants to ask him what it is like.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Looks like a gotcha moment.
    Depends who you ask. Needle is always moving. Statistics never get in the way of some folks. We had two shooters last night and the rest were brick masons.

Stat line on entire team says shoot the rock better, it’s a win. See earlier post, 9-37 from field other than Gant and Miller. That’s not even 25%. Shoot 40%, that’s 6 more shots made. Depending how many would have been 3 balls, different outcome, but we didn’t.

Nm

Yeah, not having our best defender and the one guy who had been shooting consistently from outside all year wouldn’t have changed that game at all. When in the other thread you mentioned a healthy Elfrid will have the Pels safely in the playoffs, and that’s not contradictory how?
    Defense isn’t why Elfrid helps the Pels. But that’s a different thread. To quote Dennis Green, regarding Bobby Big Fish “They are who we thought they were”. Mediocre. A decade of mediocre results.

It’s time to move on and get some fresh blood in the program.

Default Re: MBB G16 Final: Louisiana 76, Georgia State 89

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I thought he had 13 rebounds?
    Did you see the game? Did you see the offensive rebounds he gave up? Did you see him in the high pick and roll and how much success they had with it?

Justin Miller: 13 points, 4-8 from field (0-1 from 3), 5-7 FT, 13 boards (5 offensive, 8 defensive), 4 assists, 2 turnovers, 1 steal, 33 minutes, fouled out.

P. J. Hardy: 0 points, 0-3 (all 3 ptr), 1 board, 3 assists, 1 to, 1 steal, 17 minutes fouled out.

I’ll agree Justin doesn’t look like he has the hops he did last year, but his line tonight was solid.

Gant and Miller combined 18-29 from field. Rest of team 9-37.

Numbers don’t lie. Need to fix this quick. Last game, team scoring stats were similar.
    Again, numbers don't tell the whole story. Did you see the game? He is a defensive liability. Also, we are calling all hands on deck for rebounding. Stroman even had 9 rebounds as we have nobody there to help. Miller is going to continue to pull down some just by being there.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Looks like a gotcha moment.
    Not really Vic. Keep trying though.

Miller is the scapegoat for so many here but he can fill a stat line and does so many little things like taking charges and getting the position for that flagrant that they went to the monitor for tonight. That being said the kid just isn’t made to play 30+ minutes a night and his play gets real sloppy when he gets winded.

With Wesley unable to go tonight I can’t believe they were stubborn enough to stick with just a 7 man rotation, especially on the 1st night of a weekend road trip. If Lafayette or Gladney could haven given just a few minutes somewhere in the first half or when Miller picked up his 4th I think it could have gone a long way.
    Scapegoat? He is a maddening player to say the least. You will see a great play from him but then he will come down and take two shots out of rhythm quickly or get burned on the pick and roll and give up a layup. He was owned by Boudie and Matthews in the ASU game on the offensive boards. He just doesn't make the best decisions. If the ball is in his hands, he is often going to force something at the rim or take the quick 3. When he makes it or draws the foul, it looks great. Like I said he is maddening. The worst for me is if you are going to be an under the rim player, you have to be able to move your feet on defense and get positioning. Bryce Washington did it well. Miller, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again, numbers don't tell the whole story. Did you see the game? He is a defensive liability. Also, we are calling all hands on deck for rebounding. Stroman even had 9 rebounds as we have nobody there to help. Miller is going to continue to pull down some just by being there.
    I already agreed with you Miller doesn’t have the motion he did last year. 9-37.that’s where the game was lost.

Depends who you ask. Needle is always moving. Statistics never get in the way of some folks. We had two shooters last night and the rest were brick masons.

Stat line on entire team says shoot the rock better, it’s a win. See earlier post, 9-37 from field other than Gant and Miller. That’s not even 25%. Shoot 40%, that’s 6 more shots made. Depending how many would have been 3 balls, different outcome, but we didn’t.
    Stats don't tell every story. Again, I ask, did you watch the game. Did you same the same thing after the ASU game? I'm curious.

Also, common sense says if the outside shot is not going down, why shoot it 31 times? Instead, you could make cuts to the basket and try to finish there or kick out. I saw several of Hardy's shots where they were closing out on him and he could have put the ball on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Stats don't tell every story. Again, I ask, did you watch the game. Did you same the same thing after the ASU game? I'm curious.

Also, common sense says if the outside shot is not going down, why shoot it 31 times? Instead, you could make cuts to the basket and try to finish there or kick out. I saw several of Hardy's shots where they were closing out on him and he could have put the ball on the floor.
    Yes. And again, I already agreed with you, I’ll just word it differently. He is not as fast as he was last year. Travels a lot down low.

9-37. Go look at stat line on win over Little Rock. Very similar. Get use to it, we can’t shoot as a team.

Hardy took three shots entire game. Missed all three. 9-37.

We have the same issue with the ladies. Collectively cannot make shots consistently.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . LastLast

Thread Information