Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Slow start insurmountable for Cajuns women

1. UL Basketball Slow start insurmountable for Cajuns women

In what turned into a dog fight, the UL women's basketball team could not overcome a slow start to drop its Sun Belt Conference matchup at the defending Sun Belt Conference Champion Little Rock Trojans, 62-48, at the Jack Stephens Center.

Default Re: GameON: MBB G15 Little Rock

Meanwhile, in Little Rock, the same old same old for the ladies. "News Copy" doesn't even post it anymore.

Watching Gant tonight was a pleasure. Cajundome record. It was like Toney and Bo.in a zone. When the ball left his hands, usually no doubt. And if I remember correctly, only one dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Meanwhile, in Little Rock, the same old same old for the ladies. "News Copy" doesn't even post it anymore.

Watching Gant tonight was a pleasure. Cajundome record. It was like Toney and Bo.in a zone. When the ball left his hands, usually no doubt.
    I think the women’s fate this year has been sealed. You may only see when they pull off a surprising W.

Default Re: GameON: MBB G15 Little Rock

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I think the women's fate this year has been sealed. You may only see when they pull off a surprising W.
    Which makes the witch hunt here laughable. I expect the women to find an acorn or two.

UL Basketball Re: GameON: MBB G15 Little Rock

Which makes the witch hunt here laughable. I expect the women to find an acorn or two.
    My stance on both hoops coaches is the same. Both try to hide their deficiencies with smoke and mirrors. Neither can succeed at the level fans and players deserve.

FWIW, I expect the ladies to win 2-3 more games this year; and the men to win 5-8 more.

Default Re: Slow start insurmountable for Cajuns women

From a fan’s perspective, is it to the point were apathy has set in towards women’s basketball? They were somewhat of a difficult sell to begin with even when they were having success. The product they are putting on the court this year is bad. Is anyone really upset or is it like “well, what are you going to do? They stink, but I’m not following so it won’t bother me.”

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    From a fan’s perspective, is it to the point were apathy has set in towards women’s basketball? They were somewhat of a difficult sell to begin with even when they were having success. The product they are putting on the court this year is bad. Is anyone really upset or is it like “well, what are you going to do? They stink, but I’m not following so it won’t bother me.”
    No one really cares about WBB. But we can’t have terrible seasons anymore since J Kelly Hall proved that we can be successful.

Also WBB and MBB are held to different standards. WBB could win 20 games against nobody and it would be acceptable. MBB plays the bottom 1/3rd of D1 basketball and wins 20+ games and it’s not acceptable.

Different standards, but we don’t demand quality. We just don’t want to have an embarrassing team.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    No one really cares about WBB. But we can’t have terrible seasons anymore since J Kelly Hall proved that we can be successful.

Also WBB and MBB are held to different standards. WBB could win 20 games against nobody and it would be acceptable. MBB plays the bottom 1/3rd of D1 basketball and wins 20+ games and it’s not acceptable.

Different standards, but we don’t demand quality. We just don’t want to have an embarrassing team.
    I agree they are held to different standards, but they should not be. Regardless of how our fans feel about it, both are major sports and should be held to the highest standard possible, given our resources. Neither is now held to that standard.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

One coach makes 60k a year the other 525k

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    One coach makes 60k a year the other 525k
    Personally, I would prefer we pay 150k for a womens coach and 400k for the mens coach, both with incintives for high levels of performance; then hold both to a very high standard relative to our resources.

Someone posted the soccer coach made 12K and he got ran, so it's not about the money. Besides, isn't ML's lawsuit about equality? Basketball. Only difference on this board one is vilified, the other is pretty much unscathed. Broadhead doesn't even have a cute little nickname. Other than a pay for play tournament championship with the likes of McNeese in it (and playing at home) where's the success, as defined by some resident experts. Lower bar for ladies? Really? There's your Bustle, at least for a bit. Makes the attacks on Marlin look hollow and personal.

Not saying I'm thrilled with either performances, yet just pointing out the one sidedness, apathy, personal vendetta, red ___ over Marlin's initial hiring, ROI, love the local boy, or whatever the ax is that needs grinding has been beaten into the ground. Both coaches have player heath issues. One from the start, one in season the last two years. One gets drilled daily, the other isn't even on the radar. NO coach plans for the "what if's". Either team gets two ball handlers down, it's a problem. I expect both teams to be back next year and team healthy. That is why I post about the women, not to run Broadhead, but to point out the prejudices.

Women need a chip on their shoulder more than the men next season.

"Toothpick" (horrific record) and "Smedium" (lost control) earned those nicknames. Marlin hasn't embarrassed the university. And apparently Broadhead hasn't. Collectively, this board is better than that.

Glad "News Copy" showed up. 😀

Carry on.

The soccer coach made closer to 50k and he got ran off because he was here for close to 15 years and had a ~35% winning percentage.

And as much as I like Broadhead, he’s going to have to produce as well. The difference is that Marlin is the second highest paid coach in the university coaching the second highest generating sport in college athletics. One carries a little more weight than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Personally, I would prefer we pay 150k for a womens coach and 400k for the mens coach, both with incintives for high levels of performance; then hold both to a very high standard relative to our resources.
    It's about demand and ROI WBB does not justify a 6 figure salary

They are 2-9, lost to Dillard and have not won since before thanksgiving. It’s a bad year. But in the long run, they haven’t done much of anything. A couple of WBI championships are cool I guess, but no NCAA or even NIT. 2 wins against bad SEC schools a few years ago isn’t enough to get a pass. To be honest, I stopped listening to games in November this year but I used to listen all the time. I’d hate to see Garry’s program go the way of women’s soccer. Steady irrelevance.

Someone posted the soccer coach made 12K and he got ran, so it's not about the money. Besides, isn't ML's lawsuit about equality? Basketball. Only difference on this board one is vilified, the other is pretty much unscathed. Broadhead doesn't even have a cute little nickname. Other than a pay for play tournament championship with the likes of McNeese in it (and playing at home) where's the success, as defined by some resident experts. Lower bar for ladies? Really? There's your Bustle, at least for a bit. Makes the attacks on Marlin look hollow and personal.

Not saying I'm thrilled with either performances, yet just pointing out the one sidedness, apathy, personal vendetta, red ___ over Marlin's initial hiring, ROI, love the local boy, or whatever the ax is that needs grinding has been beaten into the ground. Both coaches have player heath issues. One from the start, one in season the last two years. One gets drilled daily, the other isn't even on the radar. NO coach plans for the "what if's". Either team gets two ball handlers down, it's a problem. I expect both teams to be back next year and team healthy. That is why I post about the women, not to run Broadhead, but to point out the prejudices.

Women need a chip on their shoulder more than the men next season.

"Toothpick" (horrific record) and "Smedium" (lost control) earned those nicknames. Marlin hasn't embarrassed the university. And apparently Broadhead hasn't. Collectively, this board is better than that.

Glad "News Copy" showed up. 😀

Carry on.
    I belive both should not have been given extensions and Broadhead shown the door because everyone but Farmer hires are expected to punch above their weight class.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information