Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread: So, which is it?

UL Basketball So, which is it?

Willis and others have argued that no matter who we schedule for OOC games, we cant sniff an at large bid because our conference is so weak.

They have also argued that we cant dominate this conference year in and year out because it is so good at the top.

I think they are partially correct.

Just not for he reasons they give.

If we schedule like we have been scheduling, we cant get a tournament bid without winning our conference tournament, regardless of our ooc record. If Marlin is our coach, it doesnt matter who we play ooc, because he will not beat good programs at a sufficient rate, not even at home.

And we cant dominate this conference year in and year out for the same reason; Bob has never had a winning record vs top 100 teams, and in his time here, he has only had a winning record vs teams with RPI 101-200 twice, the NCAA tournament year and last year.

If Bob cant dominate the SBC, that tells me that he cant recruit, he cant coach, or both.

We need to find a coach who can dominate the conference.

Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Willis and others have argued that no matter who we schedule for OOC games, we cant sniff an at large bid because our conference is so weak.

They have also argued that we cant dominate this conference year in and year out because it is so good at the top.

I think they are partially correct.

Just not for he reasons they give.

If we schedule like we have been scheduling, we cant get a tournament bid without winning our conference tournament, regardless of our ooc record. If Marlin is our coach, it doesnt matter who we play ooc, because he will not beat good programs at a sufficient rate, not even at home.

And we cant dominate this conference year in and year out for the same reason; Bob has never had a winning record vs top 100 teams, and in his time here, he has only had a winning record vs teams with RPI 101-200 twice, the NCAA tournament year and last year.

If Bob cant dominate the SBC, that tells me that he cant recruit, he cant coach, or both.

We need to find a coach who can dominate the conference.
    Which is why the extension puzzles me: Maggard has made it very clear that the expectation is for all of the coaches to dominate the conference. Marlin has not done that, and it certainly doesn't feel like he will do it this year either.

3. Default Re: So, which is it?

The extension was for recruiting purposes and to lower the buyout. I’m sure someone already said this, but just reiterating.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Which is why the extension puzzles me: Maggard has made it very clear that the expectation is for all of the coaches to dominate the conference. Marlin has not done that, and it certainly doesn't feel like he will do it this year either.
    In Dr. Maggards defense, the 1 year he has been AD, coach Marlin in fact dominated the conference, i imagine, he is not considering the past AS MUCH( not saying at all) as the fans are. as the trend for coach marlins program predicts to look good moving forward, with the last 2 recruiting classes, including this years.

5. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The extension was for recruiting purposes and to lower the buyout. I’m sure someone already said this, but just reiterating.
    Nobody wants to hear that and most having a fit about it just ignore it. Any extension at all is against the agenda. I trust Maggard.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Nobody wants to hear that and most having a fit about it just ignore it. Any extension at all is against the agenda. I trust Maggard.
    I do too. He sure has hit it out the park with all the hires he's done, so let's hope he gets this one right as well.

I can see it from both angles.

On one angle, it frustrates fans because we gave him a raise while the program has been kind of stagant/plateaud.

On the other hand, the contract extension lowers his buyout, gives him a raise, and focuses more on incentives (making the postseason, winning conference, etc.)

If the trend continues where we miss the dance, Marlin will have to answer as to why at such a higher salary that he’s not performing. It also makes the job more attractive for the next hire. Like I’ve previously mentioned, I support the extension because of this.

8. Default Re: So, which is it?

Y’all keep talking about the last two recruiting classes. We have zero all freshman players on the floor from last class. We’ve got high hopes for Kobe, and transfer Johnson. This year Wilson, or is Johnson this class. That’s not knocking it out the park.

Again people keep telling us Marlin got a longer contract to influence recruiting. That he’s not any better off financially. Nobody has shown y’all the first dollar breakdown of either contract.

As for Maggard having only one year to evaluate? That’s crazy, Marlin has eight years. Obviously he’s satisfied with what his MBB coach was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Y’all keep talking about the last two recruiting classes. We have zero all freshman players on the floor from last class. We’ve got high hopes for Kobe, and transfer Johnson. This year Wilson, or is Johnson this class. That’s not knocking it out the park.

Again people keep telling us Marlin got a longer contract to influence recruiting. That he’s not any better off financially. Nobody has shown y’all the first dollar breakdown of either contract.

As for Maggard having only one year to evaluate? That’s crazy, Marlin has eight years. Obviously he’s satisfied with what his MBB coach was doing.
    Dispite the NIT embarrassment in BR, he couldn't fire Big Fish after last season. It was the best season we have seen in a long while.

Our agenda is simple: 1. Put a team on the court every year that beats top 100 RPI teams at the rate Marlins teams beat RPI 101-200 (about 40 percent), and beats teams RPI 101+ at the rate Marlins teams beat RPI 201+.
    2. Stop playing non D1 teams.
    3. Stop playing teams OOC with 3 year rolling average RPI of 200+.

Do those three things and everything else takes care of itself.

If Marlin could do that, I am fine with him staying as long as he wants; but we all know he can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post

On one angle, it frustrates fans because we gave him a raise while the program has been kind of stagant/plateaud.

On the other hand, the contract extension lowers his buyout, gives him a raise, and focuses more on incentives (making the postseason, winning conference, etc.)

If the trend continues where we miss the dance, Marlin will have to answer as to why at such a higher salary that he’s not performing. It also makes the job more attractive for the next hire. Like I’ve previously mentioned, I support the extension because of this.
    That makes sense. Good post.

UL Basketball Re: So, which is it?

If the trend continues where we miss the dance, Marlin will have to answer as to why at such a higher salary that he's not performing. It also makes the job more attractive for the next hire. Like I've previously mentioned, I support the extension because of this.
    I agree with this, but I also think it is important that we, as fans, continue to be vocal in our opinions about where we are and where we realistically believe we can be.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Our agenda is simple: 1. Put a team on the court every year that beats top 100 RPI teams at the rate Marlins teams beat RPI 101-200 (about 40 percent), and beats teams RPI 101+ at the rate Marlins teams beat RPI 201+.
    2. Stop playing non D1 teams.
    3. Stop playing teams OOC with 3 year rolling average RPI of 200+.

Do those three things and everything else takes care of itself.

If Marlin could do that, I am fine with him staying as long as he wants; but we all know he can't.
    There is a desire by the administration to reduce the no. of non D1 games (Point No. 2). However, No. 3 is not being considered as the administration supports the policy of playing several state teams Dr. Maggard and Nico Yantko will have to be lobbied and hard to make a change there. Now if the state teams improve and we get paired with good opponents in the proposed alliance it could happen by default.

We don't ignore it. We just don't agree with it.

I'm confused. I thought you were one of the more vocal opponents of Marlin in recent days. You support the extension?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 . LastLast

Thread Information