Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: So, which is it?

1. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    Is there a right of passage where you have to have a certain number of posts to have an opinion? Is this a fraternity? Where is the "door" that I check them? This is news to me. Did you check your 10,000 posts at this "door?"....
    Number of posts should not matter.

Content and context does though.

Default Re: So, which is it?

I am with you. Pepper an NIT appearance here and there with an NCAA tournament appearance here and there, then perhaps a couple of rebuilding years is acceptable. The CBI or any other "pay to play" tournament is not an acceptable outcome.
    The program goal should be at a minimum NCAA or NIT every year. Of course we won't reach either every year, but we should do what is necessary to consistently achieve those goals every day. It is imperative that those goals be a STANDARD, not a wish.

3. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The program goal should be at a minimum NCAA or NIT every year. Of course we won't reach either every year, but we should do what is necessary to consistently achieve those goals every day. It is imperative that those goals be a STANDARD, not a wish.
    Yes, now we are drinking from the same fountain. I am not saying we have to make it every year or the year is a failure, but this should be the realistic goal every year. Bottom line: two legitimate postseason appearances in nine years is not acceptable.

Yes, now we are drinking from the same fountain. I am not saying we have to make it every year or the year is a failure, but this should be the realistic goal every year. Bottom line: two legitimate postseason appearances in nine years is not acceptable.
    PREACH BABY!!!!

But be careful. The Krewe de Corner Bar will come in here and question your loyalty.

i agree 100%. After this amount of tenure, fish should have a consistent winner for what he is being paid. No excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    i agree 100%. After this amount of tenure, fish should have a consistent winner for what he is being paid. No excuse!
    Yes, but the Marlin loyalists will come here and tell you “but it’s hard!” Well, no _____ it’s hard!!!! Find a way to get it done! That’s what you’re getting paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Coach Marlin is doing the Monday morning KPEL interview right now. That must mean the condition of his wife has improved. Good news there.
    Definitely good news

Is there a right of passage where you have to have a certain number of posts to have an opinion? Is this a fraternity? Where is the "door" that I check them? This is news to me. Did you check your 10,000 posts at this "door?" Want larger goals? Stop playing Xavier and Loyola-New Orleans. Want consistency? Stop splitting with the Arkansas schools at home in conference play. In a results-oriented business that is intercollegiate athletics, you're right conference tournament championships is the goal in this conference. We don't play in the ACC. If you are telling recruits "we aren't going to make the NCAA tournament every year," that is a program I wouldn't want to be associated with. You operate a basketball program to have success and we have agreed that success is measured by conference tournament championships. We both want the same thing, I think. I just seem to have a tad bit higher expectations for the highest paid coach in the league.
    No, it means that if you had spent any time here reading others' post such as myself you would have seen what I meant about not ONLY wanting my entire season to be about 3 days in March. The NCAA tournament should not be the ONLY goal of the entire program each and every season, particularly when its very typically a 1 and done scenario for us to begin with.

Success is not measured solely by conference tournament championships. I'd argue that its measured more by conference championships. I think my team has had a better season when it has shown consistency in winning versus getting lucky for those 3 days in March. Do you ever seen a .500 team win their conference? No. You do see teams with losing records luck out into the NCAA. I want to build a program, not a team who's success is measured by such a small sample. Besides, it doesn't have be an either/or situation. I would imagine that once you are putting a consistent product out that is competing for conference championships year in and year out, you will be much more prepared to win the tournament and reach the NCAA regardless. Why not win conference AND win the conference tournament?

Lannister, take your 5,500 posts and check them at that door, the big door at the front of the Sigma Farmer Marlin house, hater.
    HUH?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Number of posts should not matter.

Content and context does though.
    Prime example

11. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    No, it means that if you had spent any time here reading others' post such as myself you would have seen what I meant about not ONLY wanting my entire season to be about 3 days in March. The NCAA tournament should not be the ONLY goal of the entire program each and every season, particularly when its very typically a 1 and done scenario for us to begin with.

Success is not measured solely by conference tournament championships. I'd argue that its measured more by conference championships. I think my team has had a better season when it has shown consistency in winning versus getting lucky for those 3 days in March. Do you ever seen a .500 team win their conference? No. You do see teams with losing records luck out into the NCAA. I want to build a program, not a team who's success is measured by such a small sample. Besides, it doesn't have be an either/or situation. I would imagine that once you are putting a consistent product out that is competing for conference championships year in and year out, you will be much more prepared to win the tournament and reach the NCAA regardless. Why not win conference AND win the conference tournament?
    How do you know I haven't spent any time here reading or perhaps posting under a different username? But hey, if you're content with winning 27 games a year against Loyola-New Orleans, Xavier, and Louisiana College, and losing in the semifinals of the Sunbelt Tournament, then perhaps you're of the same opinion that Arkansas St. gets up for our games because we "have the nicest gym." I want to be George Mason, Loyola-Chicago, and VCU. Not a team that gets Sunbelt regular season championship rings. Those are nice, I guess, but an invitation to the "Not Invited Tournament" doesn't do much for me. You're playing for second best. I'd take ten first round exits in the Big Dance to one deep run in the "Not Invited Tournament." We can agree to disagree on what "success" means. I don't seem to be alone in this line of thinking. UT-Arlington fired their coach last year for not making the tournament, regardless of how many regular season championships he has.

12. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    HUH?
    I checked him for you. He disagreed with your opinion so, since you have more posts than he does, he needs to know his place in the pecking order.

Uhhhhhhh, we need to bring Hammer51 out of mothballs.. He needs to be back here, NOW!!!

Z

How do you know I haven't spent any time here reading or perhaps posting under a different username? But hey, if you're content with winning 27 games a year against Loyola-New Orleans, Xavier, and Louisiana College, and losing in the semifinals of the Sunbelt Tournament, then perhaps you're of the same opinion that Arkansas St. gets up for our games because we "have the nicest gym." I want to be George Mason, Loyola-Chicago, and VCU. Not a team that gets Sunbelt regular season championship rings. Those are nice, I guess, but an invitation to the "Not Invited Tournament" doesn't do much for me. You're playing for second best. I'd take ten first round exits in the Big Dance to one deep run in the "Not Invited Tournament." We can agree to disagree on what "success" means. I don't seem to be alone in this line of thinking. UT-Arlington fired their coach last year for not making the tournament, regardless of how many regular season championships he has.
    RCAJUN90?

There you go assuming again. I guess anything I counter you with sounds like I am content on winning games against bad competition. If you were busy reading here, you wouldn't think I'm content with anything we are currently doing in our MBB program. I don't want to be the teams you suggested, I want to be better than them. Loyola Chicago was likely a one hit wonder. George Mason has been a one hit wonder. I want to build a program that is fixed on winning. That breeds better recruiting, better coaching, resources and expectations. If you have a winning program with a winning culture, the post season success will come. I think a team that just wins a conference title over an 18 game home and away schedule is much more prepared to win the conference tournament. You aren't hoping to get lucky as you've been the best team over a longer period of time.

The funny thing is that I've been as big a critic of Marlin as anyone here. I don't feel the money we are paying him is justified, especially when looking at a lack of postseason success. I was hoping last year was a building block of consistency but its looking bleak in that department right now.

Out of curiosity, if we went 17-17 during the year but got hot, won the SBC tournament and went to the NCAA, would you consider that a successful season?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information