Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm confused. I thought you were one of the more vocal opponents of Marlin in recent days. You support the extension?
    I support the extension because it justifies a reasoning to make changes necessary if the time comes. Now, he’s getting paid more. Now, he has higher incenvtives. And now, the buyout is lowered if he doesn’t produce. The salary increase showed us that Maggard is serious on where he wants this program to go. The ball is now in Marlin’s court to get us there. And if he doesn’t, well.

As far as me being a vocal opponent, I don’t think he should be fired. But I have my doubts to whether or not he can get us to the next level. The administration has recently put more resources into the program, so now it’s time to compliment it with results. What I don’t like is when our coaching staff attempts to inflate our program (“we are the conference standard,” “teams that just beat us celebrate like they win the Super Bowl,” “we are the team everybody gets up for,” etc.) as if we are some serious contender when we have only been to the tournament once in 15 years along with one NIT berth. And they mostly do it after a loss. It’s like when Hud blamed the APC for losing to Akron. It’s insulting and laughable. And then, Krewe de Corner Bar comes right behind them and repeats what they say like parrots. And if we disagree, we are either “haters” or we “want Marlin fired.” No. We want the cost to match quality. Stop trying to sunshine pump the program and go produce.

My demands are simple. Consistent top 4 finish in conference (which we have done recently) and more postseason appearances. If they do both of those, I will shut up. If they can’t do both of those, then it’s time to find someone who can.

Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I support the extension because it justifies a reasoning to make changes necessary if the time comes. Now, he’s getting paid more. Now, he has higher incenvtives. And now, the buyout is lowered if he doesn’t produce. The salary increase showed us that Maggard is serious on where he wants this program to go. The ball is now in Marlin’s court to get us there. And if he doesn’t, well.

As far as me being a vocal opponent, I don’t think he should be fired. But I have my doubts to whether or not he can get us to the next level. The administration has recently put more resources into the program, so now it’s time to compliment it with results. What I don’t like is when our coaching staff attempts to inflate our program (“we are the conference standard,” “teams that just beat us celebrate like they win the Super Bowl,” “we are the team everybody gets up for,” etc.) as if we are some serious contender when we have only been to the tournament once in 15 years along with one NIT berth. And they mostly do it after a loss. It’s like when Hud blamed the APC for losing to Akron. It’s insulting and laughable. Stop trying to sunshine pump the program and go produce.

My demands are simple. Consistent top 4 finish in conference (which we have done recently) and more postseason appearances. If they do both of those, I will shut up. If they can’t do both of those, then it’s time to find someone who can.
    My approach is similar except I'm not in favor of the recent extension but that's neither here nor there. I want there to be an expectation of excellence in our program. One that eventually spills over beyond conference dominance and into success in OOC scheduling. To me, top 4 in conference is not really excellence. I want to compete for that top spot every year. I feel like we should, especially when paying the staff what we pay. I want to see better recruiting and I want to see obvious postseason participation.

My approach is similar except I'm not in favor of the recent extension but that's neither here nor there. I want there to be an expectation of excellence in our program. One that eventually spills over beyond conference dominance and into success in OOC scheduling. To me, top 4 in conference is not really excellence. I want to compete for that top spot every year. I feel like we should, especially when paying the staff what we pay. I want to see better recruiting and I want to see obvious postseason participation.
    We pretty much have similar demands except for where we finish in conference. I’ve recently stated that I’m pretty generous in that regard and that it’s a low floor. But postseason appearances have to compliment it for me to be fully satisfied. Again, what really irks me about this coaching staff are the excuses and the sunshine pumping. We have seen they’re capable of winning. Just go and do it.

We can’t just fire a coach who won 27 games. But what we can do is raise the bar for the program and make the job attractive for another coach if this coach can’t cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    There is a desire by the administration to reduce the no. of non D1 games (Point No. 2). However, No. 3 is not being considered as the administration supports the policy of playing several state teams Dr. Maggard and Nico Yantko will have to be lobbied and hard to make a change there. Now if the state teams improve and we get paired with good opponents in the proposed alliance it could happen by default.
    I don’t think anyone is opposed to home and home with LaTurd, 2 for 1 with McNeese & SLU. But we should never play Loyola, Dillard, Louisiana College, and Centenary.

Our OOC road games should be against top 125 RPI teams and neutral site tournaments should give us those opportunities. Plus some pay day games against teams not named Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I don't think anyone is opposed to home and home with LaTurd, 2 for 1 with McNeese & SLU. But we should never play Loyola, Dillard, Louisiana College, and Centenary.

Our OOC road games should be against top 125 RPI teams and neutral site tournaments should give us those opportunities. Plus some pay day games against teams not named Kansas.
    Yes, I very much agree with keeping the series going with the 'turds. As disappointingand worryingabout the loss this year, let's remember that since the current series began in this decade out of six games we are up on them 4-2. That includes a stomp down of them at their place that ended a longing winning streak of theirs back in 15? 16?
    This series is a good thing for both teams, and the only way to determine the better program is to play consistently. I hope it gets renewed.
    And I also agree with you about msu and the other schools you mentioned.

Serious question: what is the "Krewe de Corner Bar?"

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I don't think anyone is opposed to home and home with LaTurd, 2 for 1 with McNeese & SLU. But we should never play Loyola, Dillard, Louisiana College, and Centenary.

I think that view is pretty close to what the administration wants other than McNeese will be home and home due to history. SLU wanted to get paid in the third game which is why they went for the 2 and 1 deal. Now, the neutral site tournaments may not get you the 125 parameter as you don't control completely who will be invited. Also, you can't play in the same tournament but once every four years. Still, there will be no overall guideline for rolling RPI averages as that is not a focus of the administration. The proposed alliance and increased no. of conference games will take a lot of the scheduling debate away.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Scott Farmer and some backers who used to defend him at all costs.

Scott Farmer and some backers who used to defend him at all costs.
    Assuming all those guys who used to huddle around the kickers net on the sideline for every home and road game?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The extension was for recruiting purposes and to lower the buyout. I’m sure someone already said this, but just reiterating.
    I think that is correct and also an early reward for winning the regular season title going away. However at this point, I don't think Coach Marlin is focusing on that. Had to be a pretty serious situation with his wife for him to miss a conference game. All his energies are on helping her get better. I don't know details as that is a personal matter but I did hear there was some improvement today. Hope she recovers enough for him to make the trip to Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    What is the “Krewe de Corner Bar” you ask?

Apologists who are ok with the status quo. These are people who don’t care about ROI, justify mediocrity, and allow personal ties to coaches/administration blind any type of accountability. And if you question any of these actions, they play “victim” and claim that you’re either A) not a true fan or B) picking on basketball.

Farmer had his clan running around spewing how great he was while being on the hot seat. I’m starting to see the same with Marlin and the coaching staff. After losing to Tech, using reasoning like one player getting injured or getting lectured on how we have beaten Tech in the past suddenly justifies getting spanked at home by 20 points when Tech had two starters out. I also see “parrot” talk when the Krewe talks about being the basketball team as the “team everyone gets up for” while the rest of the world laughs at that ridiculousness.

I rarely see this with any other sport within the university. Hence the name, “Krewe de Corner Bar.”

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Apologists who are ok with the status quo. These are people who don’t care about ROI, justify mediocrity, and allow personal ties to coaches/administration blind any type of accountability. And if you question any of these actions, they play “victim” and claim that you’re either A) not a true fan or B) picking on basketball.

Farmer had his clam running around spewing how great he was while being on the hot seat. I’m starting to see the same with Marlin and the coaching staff. After losing to Tech, using reasoning like one player getting injured or getting lectured on how we have beaten Tech in the past suddenly justifies getting spanked at home by 20 points when Tech had two starters out. I also see “parrot” talk when the Krewe talks about being the basketball team as the “team everyone gets up for” while the rest of the world laughs at that ridiculousness.

I rarely see this with any other sport within the university. Hence the name, “Krewe de Corner Bar.”
    If i was a big booster to basketball I would have been upset with the lack of postseason success but then again im getting free flights and hotel rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    If i was a big booster to basketball I would have been upset with the lack of postseason success but then again im getting free flights and hotel rooms.
    The problem with this is the fact that there’s probably a few boosters who might be part of the Krewe.

14. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I think that is correct and also an early reward for winning the regular season title going away. However at this point, I don't think Coach Marlin is focusing on that. Had to be a pretty serious situation with his wife for him to miss a conference game. All his energies are on helping her get better. I don't know details as that is a personal matter but I did hear there was some improvement today. Hope she recovers enough for him to make the trip to Georgia.
    Unfortunately, our entire season rides on the third weekend in March. Nothing else really matters, except, I guess positioning yourself in the preceding three months. Hunter gets this, Marlin doesn't. Hunter constantly tells the media that he is prepping his team for that March run. The season is just tuning up for that. Marlin doesn't seem to understand this fact. If so, he does a less than stellar job of expressing it. With that being said, your results in conference play doesn't guarantee or even foreshadow how you will fare in the tournament (see us in 2018 and GA St. in 2014).

15. Default Re: So, which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by TammanyCajun View Post
    Unfortunately, our entire season rides on the third weekend in March. Nothing else really matters, except, I guess positioning yourself in the preceding three months. Hunter gets this, Marlin doesn't. Hunter constantly tells the media that he is prepping his team for that March run. The season is just tuning up for that. Marlin doesn't seem to understand this fact. If so, he does a less than stellar job of expressing it. With that being said, your results in conference play doesn't guarantee or even foreshadow how you will fare in the tournament (see us in 2018 and GA St. in 2014).
    Unlike last year, if you finish in the top two in the league, you only need to win two games to make it to the dance. So that does help when firing up your team for conference games.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information