Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Your right, it was a physical game and I think a few times they were looking for foul instead or making sure to get the basket. I remember both Davis and Hardy missing lay ups directly after a steal which would have been huge momentum shifts.
    Hardy's miss was particularly tough as it triggered a 5 point turnaround. They came down and drained a 3 off that miss. That might have been the dagger actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    His program is "The Standard" us fans want it to be "automatic."
    It’s not the standard. Georgia State is the standard right now.

Our coaches need to stop sunshine pumping and focus on stopping sloppy play.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post

Our coaches need to stop sunshine pumping and focus on stopping sloppy play.
    Sloppy play is unforgiveable in my book. Sloppy play typically results from a number of factors and virtually all of them point straight back at coaching.

Default Re: MBB G14 GameON: Louisiana vs. Arkansas State

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    We got killed on the boards. In fact we were almost doubled up which is actually something I don't see very often. I understand about using Lafayette to help with his size but rebounding is about a hell of a lot more than just size. There are undersized guys who are great rebounders because of their technique, tenacity and nose for the ball. We could rebound with the guys we have in there if they possessed those traits. We were a plus rebounding team last year and we only lost Bryce inside. He possessed those traits though. Miller was useless on the glass and got served on defense BUT his offense was there and he was aggressive so its hard to take him out when he's one of the only scorers for you at times. We need more from Davis and Miller. They need to be more willing to work on the defensive end and more importantly, the defensive glass if we expect to turn it around.
    State was sending five to the boards a lit of the time to defensive rebound. I think we should have made in-game adjustments with the players to not worry about getting a possible fast-break going but increase our guys going to the boards. I guess it's the times, but it always irks me when I see a guy shoot the ball and stand to watch the shot. Either go forward to rebound, or get back to prevent a fast break. If the team you're playing doesn't want to fast break, rebound the basketball. The shooter or other offensive players accomplish nothing by standing and watching the shot. Rebounding was the killer last night as there were some possessions where we did a fairly good job on defense, had three guys under the goal, and had a single State guy go get the rebound. Jakeenan is the only player that aggressively rebounds the basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Sloppy play is unforgiveable in my book. Sloppy play typically results from a number of factors and virtually all of them point straight back at coaching.
    Well, a lot of the sloppy play comes from lack of fundamentals. And yeah, that’s definitely coaching.

I have faith that this team can turn things around, but I’m not sure if it’ll be this season.

Default Re: MBB G14 GameON: Louisiana vs. Arkansas State

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I'm jumping to the Fried Chicken thread for the next few days, it should be more fun than reading posters either talking about the loss of Marquetti or firing Marlin.
    +1000! Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    His program is "The Standard" us fans want it to be "automatic."
    So Turbine, you and Marlin believe the “Standard” of the Sunbelt is to play a schedule that brings NOONE of any consequence into the Dome; lose to a few “name” teams on the road; have NO wins vs the RPI Top 200; and only be concerned about “three games in March”??? Not a very high “standard” for our conference.
    On the OTHER hand, we have a softball coach who came in to a team last year who fired a SUCCESSFUL coach; ended up losing their THREE best players (one who was arguably the BEST player in the nation); had to put a team together on the fly; Beat the #2 Team in the Nation, and STILL won 40 games, and said coach is STILL pizzed they didn’t make it to OKC!!! THIS team can call itself the league’s “standard”!!

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    So Turbine, you and Marlin believe the "Standard" of the Sunbelt is to play a schedule that brings NOONE of any consequence into the Dome; lose to a few "name" teams on the road; have NO wins vs the RPI Top 200; and only be concerned about "three games in March"??? Not a very high "standard" for our conference.
    On the OTHER hand, we have a softball coach who came in to a team last year who fired a SUCCESSFUL coach; ended up losing their THREE best players (one who was arguably the BEST player in the nation); had to put a team together on the fly; Beat the #2 Team in the Nation, and STILL won 40 games, and said coach is STILL pizzed they didn't make it to OKC!!! THIS team can call itself the league's "standard"!!
    This 100000x

This is what separates me from Krewe de Corner Bar. I see everything that you mentioned and say "we could do better." I will say, though, that the three games in March are very important as a G5 school, BUT it looks like our teams haven't really prepared for those since 2014. So, that would be more of a moot point.

The issue with Marlin's comments to me last night is when you lose to an inferior team like Arkansas State at home, you don't try to sunshine pump your accomplishments to hide your defeat. "Yeah, we need to get better BUT look what we did in the past." Well, those 27 wins last year didn't help our 11-point loss last night to a team whom we were a double digit favorite to beat. He did the same thing when we lost to Toledo earlier in the season when he said that they are celebrating like they won the Super Bowl because "that's what happens when you beat the Ragin' Cajuns." Seriously? LOL.

The fact of the matter is that teams will try to play their best against every team in conference. Why our coaches tend to inflate the egos of our team is a mystery to me. Stop pounding your chests and focus on the task at hand.

9. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Not so Turbine. GaSt is the current standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    So Turbine, you and Marlin believe the "Standard" of the Sunbelt
    I was making a transmission joke. Standard/automatic

10. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

I have faith that this team can turn things around, but I’m not sure if it’ll be this season.
    You do realize what you’re saying? If it’s not this season it’s not going to be this team anymore.

11. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

People wonder why all of us who love UL won't go out of our way to attend a MBB or WBB game. This is apathy to the highest degree.

In sports you either win or lose. Frankly, I'm tired of following a loser in basketball. That's why I just laugh when nights like last night occur.it's telling of where our importance lies.

Leadership is saying fix football and make sure baseball and softball continue to be high caliber. After that, we'll look at basketball.

You do realize what you’re saying? If it’s not this season it’s not going to be this team anymore.
    I should have said the program instead of the team. I still have faith our recruits can eventually step up and make an impact. I mean all I've been hearing is how great they are so that should merit something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_in_NM View Post
    People wonder why all of us who love UL won't go out of our way to attend a MBB or WBB game. This is apathy to the highest degree.

In sports you either win or lose. Frankly, I'm tired of following a loser in basketball. That's why I just laugh when nights like last night occur.it's telling of where our importance lies.

Leadership is saying fix football and make sure baseball and softball continue to be high caliber. After that, we'll look at basketball.
    Careful. Krewe de Corner Bar will come and tell you how it's impossible to make the tournament and how you should still support the team, even though we have no clear path on where we want to go.

14. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

I’m never going to criticize our players. It’s our players who the coaches bring to us.

I’m never going to criticize our players. It’s our players who the coaches bring to us.
    By no means am I criticizing the players. If anything, our basketball players are a prime example of how our athletes should represent our university. What I will criticize, though, is the hype we are fed.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread Information