Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . LastLast

Thread: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Careful. Krewe de Corner Bar will come and tell you how it's impossible to make the tournament and how you should still support the team, even though we have no clear path on where we want to go.
    I have never stepped foot in corner bar, I don’t know Coach Marlin personally. I’m just a alumnus and fan who happens to be more passionate about basketball than any other sport. I do wish they could have accomplished more during the Marlin era as I’m sure everyone here does. We have the resources and support to be the best in this conference in basketball, and we have been very close but yes I would give the edge to GA State there over the past half decade due to postseason success. I do however have an issue with anyone referring to this program during this era as a loser. In my opinion you can’t make that statement without being short sighted and unrealistic about the current landscape of college basketball at the mid major level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I have never stepped foot in corner bar, I don’t know Coach Marlin personally. I’m just a alumnus and fan who happens to be more passionate about basketball than any other sport. I do wish they could have accomplished more during the Marlin era as I’m sure everyone here does. We have the resources and support to be the best in this conference in basketball, and we have been very close but yes I would give the edge to GA State there over the past half decade due to postseason success. I do however have an issue with anyone referring to this program during this era as a loser. In my opinion you can’t make that statement without being short sighted and unrealistic about the current landscape of college basketball at the mid major level.
    This. This is what kills me. If we concede that Ga State is the top Sun Belt program over the past few years, we’re easily #2. If that’s not good enough for you, fine. Say so. But please don’t pretend like we haven’t had any success.

And while I agree that we have the resources to be the best team in this Conference, we definitely don’t have the resources to be a consistent top mid-major. Not even close. Our fan support isn’t good enough, our financial support isn’t good enough, and our conference isn’t good enough. It takes more than a Coach to have a successful program. We can hire and fire a million coaches, but unless those other things change, we still won’t accomplish what people here expect us to accomplish.

Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

I have never stepped foot in corner bar, I don't know Coach Marlin personally. I'm just a alumnus and fan who happens to be more passionate about basketball than any other sport. I do wish they could have accomplished more during the Marlin era as I'm sure everyone here does. We have the resources and support to be the best in this conference in basketball, and we have been very close but yes I would give the edge to GA State there over the past half decade due to postseason success. I do however have an issue with anyone referring to this program during this era as a loser. In my opinion you can't make that statement without being short sighted and unrealistic about the current landscape of college basketball at the mid major level.
    Yes, I agree with you on a good number of these points. And the Corner Bar reference is an inside joke to a lot of people on this board.

But I don't think this program is a "loser" by any stretch. I do have a problem, though, when I hear the "this is as good as it gets" attitude when we have the support and resources available to achieve more than what we currently are achieving. I also have a problem when any of our coaches try to over-inflate our program as a ruse to hide our shortcomings.

I feel like this is becoming the Rickey Bustle era all over again because yes, we have gotten better over the past decade. There's no doubt about that. But we have plateaued and can do better.

This team was never making the tournament to begin with. We live and die by the 3, we look inconsistent in the paint, we don’t know how to rebound the ball on either side of the court. And we don’t know how to handle pressure down the stretch.

Those wins against McNeese, UNO, and Southeastern were all a ruse. We are about to get exposed in conference. I hope I’m wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This. This is what kills me. If we concede that Ga State is the top Sun Belt program over the past few years, we’re easily #2. If that’s not good enough for you, fine. Say so. But please don’t pretend like we haven’t had any success.

And while I agree that we have the resources to be the best team in this Conference, we definitely don’t have the resources to be a consistent top mid-major. Not even close. Our fan support isn’t good enough, our financial support isn’t good enough, and our conference isn’t good enough. It takes more than a Coach to have a successful program. We can hire and fire a million coaches, but unless those other things change, we still won’t accomplish what people here expect us to accomplish.
    There has not been enough to excite the fan base 2014 was great for recognition but our early exit did little to move our fanbase. Last year we won 27 games but getting skull dragged by ole miss , Clemson & GAST then losing to LSU once again did nothing to move the needle. A good coach changes that look what football and baseball were able to build on the back of success.

5. UL Basketball Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

This. This is what kills me. If we concede that Ga State is the top Sun Belt program over the past few years, we're easily #2. If that's not good enough for you, fine. Say so. But please don't pretend like we haven't had any success.

And while I agree that we have the resources to be the best team in this Conference, we definitely don't have the resources to be a consistent top mid-major. Not even close. Our fan support isn't good enough, our financial support isn't good enough, and our conference isn't good enough. It takes more than a Coach to have a successful program. We can hire and fire a million coaches, but unless those other things change, we still won't accomplish what people here expect us to accomplish.
    Well being 2nd best or the tallest midget isn't much. While we're 2nd in the aggregate it's not like we're actually finishing 2nd, or 3rd virtually every year. That 2nd place player changes. We're actually the most consistent 4th place finisher and we're rarely in the finals so there's that hurdle he fails at.

I do however have an issue with anyone referring to this program during this era as a loser. In my opinion you can’t make that statement without being short sighted and unrealistic about the current landscape of college basketball at the mid major level.
    I agree with that. Not losers, but just not the winners they should be - as in beating teams they shouldn't and winning the important ones nearly enough.

This. This is what kills me. If we concede that Ga State is the top Sun Belt program over the past few years, we're easily #2. If that's not good enough for you, fine. Say so. But please don't pretend like we haven't had any success.

And while I agree that we have the resources to be the best team in this Conference, we definitely don't have the resources to be a consistent top mid-major. Not even close. Our fan support isn't good enough, our financial support isn't good enough, and our conference isn't good enough. It takes more than a Coach to have a successful program. We can hire and fire a million coaches, but unless those other things change, we still won't accomplish what people here expect us to accomplish.
    No one is asking to be a top mid-major. I'm not asking to be Davidson or Gonzaga. But with being #2, we can harp on last season's 16-2 conference record until we are blue in the face. But if you look at the whole picture and look at the 3-4 season previous to that, we probably drop a few spots without last year's conference record. Last season was like an outlier compared to every other season Marlin has had here.

8. Default Re: MBB G14 GameON: Louisiana vs. Arkansas State

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    We got killed on the boards. In fact we were almost doubled up which is actually something I don't see very often. I understand about using Lafayette to help with his size but rebounding is about a hell of a lot more than just size. There are undersized guys who are great rebounders because of their technique, tenacity and nose for the ball. We could rebound with the guys we have in there if they possessed those traits. We were a plus rebounding team last year and we only lost Bryce inside. He possessed those traits though. Miller was useless on the glass and got served on defense BUT his offense was there and he was aggressive so its hard to take him out when he's one of the only scorers for you at times. We need more from Davis and Miller. They need to be more willing to work on the defensive end and more importantly, the defensive glass if we expect to turn it around.
    -----no doubt we did get killed on the boards but some were thanks to the basketball bounce gods, some to height, and some to our fighting each other causing a loose ball to go the other way!!!

9. Default Re: MBB G14 GameON: Louisiana vs. Arkansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

-no doubt we did get killed on the boards but some were thanks to the basketball bounce gods, some to height, and some to our fighting each other causing a loose ball to go the other way!!!

For one rebound all you saw were white shirts (there were 4 of them) and then a black one which you could not even see when the ball was coming down popped out with the ball. Either the black uniforms provide super powers or that just can't happen. Between lack of the rebounding, our poor 3 shooting and a short span when black 3 point shots fell, fell and fell, we were doomed. And then there were the steals and missed layups. Good golly, can we play basketball at all?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    For one rebound all you saw were white shirts (there were 4 of them) and then a black one which you could not even see when the ball was coming down popped out with the ball. Either the black uniforms provide super powers or that just can't happen. Between lack of the rebounding, our poor 3 shooting and a short span when black 3 point shots fell, fell and fell, we were doomed. And then there were the steals and missed layups. Good golly, can we play basketball at all?
    Yes, but times have changed and basketball is different today yada yada yada.

11. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

Yes, but times have changed and basketball is different today yada yada yada.
    Oh, it's changed alright - like this game and the tech game - they used to be W's, now they L's. Oh well. No fundamentals on the boards and on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Oh, it's changed alright - like this game and the tech game - they used to be W's, now they L's. Oh well. No fundamentals on the boards and on defense.
    No no no no

Tech doesn’t count because Gant got injured. And it’s alright to lose to them because we have beaten them the other 4 out of 6 times.

Am I doing this right?

13. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

No no no no

Tech doesn’t count because Gant got injured. And it’s alright to lose to them because we have beaten them the other 4 out of 6 times.

Ah I doing this right?
    Ok, back to the Fried Chicken thread where I have much more competence.

14. UL Basketball Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

No no no no

Tech doesn't count because Gant got injured. And it's alright to lose to them because we have beaten them the other 4 out of 6 times.

Ah I doing this right?
    Well 4/6 is pretty good, but now 4/7 is pushing towards 50%. And of course it 😏 counts, everybody has injuries, discipline, zebras 🦓, transfer issues. You don't get to choose when it matters.

15. Default Re: MBB G14 Final Louisiana 83, ASU 94

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Well 4/6 is pretty good, but now 4/7 is pushing towards 50%. And of course it 😏 counts, everybody has injuries, discipline, zebras 🦓, transfer issues. You don't get to choose when it matters.
    Dr. M gets to choose when it matters.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . LastLast

Thread Information