Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13

Thread: Eat Acadiana: Fried Chicken

Default Re: Eat Acadiana: Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So I guess in the litigation, the position of the Dupuis'/Hebert's was that the Phares were not only leasing the building, but were leasing the business also? So when the "lease" ended, the Phares were not entitled to any thing Dupuis?
    Yes, that's pretty much it. I know Jack Phare and Linda Hebert, who were the ones running Dupuis for many years. If I remember correctly, they took it over from Linda's father, who also had been leasing it from the Dupuis.

When the Dupuis' decided to end the lease with the Phare/Hebert's, and start running it themselves I think that Jack/Linda first tried to stop it from happening, and when that failed they then decided to open their own place up. Can't remember the details, but there was also some legal issues about what they could....and could not....call the new place. The Dupuis did not want them to use anything with their name in it, hence "Shucks" was born.

Considering how well Shucks turned out, in the end it was a great thing for Jack/Linda and their families.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    The best fried chicken is the chicken I cook after I finish a batch of cracklin. Nothing like chicken fried in hog lard.
    Damn, I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much it. I know Jack Phare and Linda Hebert, who were the ones running Dupuis for many years. If I remember correctly, they took it over from Linda's father, who also had been leasing it from the Dupuis.

When the Dupuis' decided to end the lease with the Phare/Hebert's, and start running it themselves I think that Jack/Linda first tried to stop it from happening, and when that failed they then decided to open their own place up. Can't remember the details, but there was also some legal issues about what they could....and could not....call the new place. The Dupuis did not want them to use anything with their name in it, hence "Shucks" was born.

Considering how well Shucks turned out, in the end it was a great thing for Jack/Linda and their families.
    Thanks, that filled in a lot of blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I have, and it's crack. In situations I might prefer it to gratons. I summed up my stance on it this way to a buddy. Sometimes you go buy some gratons, and 1/3 to 1/2 of the bag is mediocre pieces. When you buy quacklins (that's what Kirk's calls it), there isn't one bad piece in the whole box.

I've tried some copycat versions at other places, but none have tasted as good at Kirk's. I feel like every piece has a chunk of chicken attached to it, other places I've tried - it's just the skin.

Disclaimer: I am not a paid shill for Kirk's U Need a Butcher, but I am willing to be.
    Do they still sell veal cutlets at Kirk's anymore? They would pass them through a tenderizer. Get home and batter them and deep fry them till golden brown. Don't know if anyone still sell veal anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    Do they still sell veal cutlets at Kirk's anymore? They would pass them through a tenderizer. Get home and batter them and deep fry them till golden brown. Don't know if anyone still sell veal anymore.....
    I dunno. I only went there recently specifically for the quacklins, had never been before.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I dunno. I only went there recently specifically for the quacklins, had never been before.
    And here you go.

https://www.facebook.com/17300467945...1146940303408/

And FWIW, Jack and Linda sold Shucks about 5 years ago, and no longer have anything to do with it. But the new owners continue to build on the legacy that they bought.

10. Default Re: Eat Acadiana: Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    And FWIW, Jack and Linda sold Shucks about 5 years ago, and no longer have anything to do with it. But the new owners continue to build on the legacy that they bought.
    One of the new owners brings expertise in cooking Fried Chicken.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Eat Acadiana: Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    The best fried chicken is the chicken I cook after I finish a batch of cracklin. Nothing like chicken fried in hog lard.
    that's how popeye's used to do it. i think fat albert's still does. they cook the onion rings in the same grease. you're right. it is so good. i love it. but, i can feel my arteries harden with every bite.

12. Default Re: Eat Acadiana: Fried Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    that's how popeye's used to do it. i think fat albert's still does. they cook the onion rings in the same grease. you're right. it is so good. i love it. but, i can feel my arteries harden with every bite.
    False information. Go ahead eat your fried chicken in pig lard. Quit eating rice, potatoes of any cuisine. Eat lots of God’s beef, pork, chicken, and all things wild. Eat anything green, yellow, and orange. Eat red things.

About the only bad thing in a fried leg is that flour coating, and that’s bad in any fat be it lard, or canola. Oh yes, one mo thing, but it’s outta your control, good DNA.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13

Thread Information