Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42

Thread: MBB G13 Final: Louisiana 73, SLU 72

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Of course, that was small-time basketball back then, kinda like those Shipley teams that Willis said wouldn't even get a whiff today from the NCAA's.

I wonder how many fans were in Blackham the night Tubbs pulled that one? You recall?
    Capacity. Lamar had the three stooges.Davis, Key and Olivier.

Our at large team, nope, would not make it today. UTPA, Stetson and teams like that would kill our SOS today. That’s 4 games not counting the non D-1 games that would be SOS killers. We passed the eye test back then.

I’ve posted my position twice.last year’s brackets. People have their opinions set and nobody is changing. Akin to piz zing into a box fan.

Default Re: MBB G13 Final: Louisiana 73, SLU 72

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Capacity. Lamar had the three stooges.Davis, Key and Olivier.

Our at large team, nope, would not make it today. UTPA, Stetson and teams like that would kill our SOS today. That’s 4 games not counting the non D-1 games that would be SOS killers. We passed the eye test back then.

I’ve posted my position twice.last year’s brackets. People have their opinions set and nobody is changing. Akin to piz zing into a box fan.
    Who they were yesterday, much like us back then is entirely different from how programs perform today. They were much better then, than they are today. My opinion is that same UL team, along with Marquette, Georgetown and a few others we defeated back then were much better during those eras'. Georgetown was much more a national power during the John Thompson era than what they are today. While I agree under today's system that UL team wouldn't sniff an at large invitation, it certainly would be better than every team in our conference today including our 27 win team last year. JMO

So since I’m supposed to bring all of the negativity into this thread, I will say this.

Tonight sucked. The end.

4. Default Re: MBB G13 Final: Louisiana 73, SLU 72

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    So since I’m supposed to bring all of the negativity into this thread, I will say this.

Tonight sucked. The end.
    And we blew our wad early.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    And we blew our wad early.
    We didn't have a wad

6. Default Re: MBB G13 Final: Louisiana 73, SLU 72

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Fanatico, the answer to your question isEVERYTHING has changed.

Beryl Shipley's teams, based on their body of work, would never have sniffed the NCAA tournament with today's criteria (unless they got an auto bid.)

One of the greatest accomplishments in our long basketball history is when USL got an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament with Bobby Paschal. Today, that team wouldn't have been considered.

What happened is the sport exploded. And, with billions of dollars in TV rights, the big conferences have done everything possible to exclude virtually everyone that isn't in one of the Big 6 conferences.

We were all enthralled by Loyola-Chicago last year. Reality is, had they not won their conference tournament, they wouldn't have been invited. It's the way it is today.

We have watched the interest in college basketball in the Deep South all but disappear. Fans are staying away in droves in conferences like the Sun Belt, Southland, Atlantic Sun and CUSA (with exception of those schools not considered in the Deep South or basketball crazy states like N Carolina and Kentucky.)

I have said many timeswe loved the days of Lamar and Toney. Those days are gone. They aren't coming back. Too much has changed with recruiting and big time college basketball. Occasionally we can catch lightning in a bottle and get an Elfrid.

As far as your Marquetti comment is concerned, while he is not a Toney or a Lamar, he's a damn good basketball player. An NBA player? No. But a player who can make a great living overseas.

Regardless of what caliber of team you have, when you lose your best player (and I think Malik was certainly our most versatile because of everything he could do) you aren't going to be nearly as good.

And, over the years, that hasn't changed.

Last year we won a championship. And, the same people on this board who vilified Bob Marlin several years ago when he said it all comes down to three days in March, got ____ed off last year when they found out he was right.

Scott Cross is the winningest coach in UTA history. He's had some fine teams since joining the Sun Belt. But he won a title, got upset in the conference tournament and was fired because he never made the NCAA tournament. Several criticized UTA for that move.

And, now some of those same people want to do the same to Marlin.

Some of the criticism of Marlin I agree with. I don't like the schedule. I wish we had more OOC success against good teams. I HATE playing non D-1's (even though Shipley and Paschal played more than their share).

But none of that means anything when it comes to the main goal, which is to win championships. Bob Marlin has won two in the last five years. And, the Lannisters and Victorys of the world would be a lot more quiet had it not been for losing one freaking game in March.

But that's the way it is with millennials.

The reality is no one dominates mid major leagues. Not the Sun Belt, not CUSA, not the ASun, not the MAC. And, to suggest we should is complete folly.

There are 12 teams in this league. It is the league we are in. Only one school has had more championships over the last five years.

But hey, what do I know.
    So is the goal of the program to finish with the second amount of conference championships in the league? That is what we hang banners for? Georgia St. owns us and the rest of this conference. We had "one of our best teams in school history" in 2018, got bounced in the conference tournament, lost to Ron Hunter, and watched him cut down the nets in New Orleans again. He owns Bob. No matter how much we wish it weren't the case, he has the right mentality. The goal for a mid-major is to make the tournament, IMO. The only way to do that is to win your conference championship game, which you can improve the chances of with a successful run from January to March. Ron gets it, Bob doesn't. He has wins in the tournament with GA St. and we do not, despite having a lottery pick. Simonds will roll over us on Thursday and we have no way of stopping him. I hate it but it is true.

7. Default Re: MBB G13 Final: Louisiana 73, SLU 72

Lamers getting a million in spite of their awful season

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/01/.-fogelman.html

Come on Bobby go find some UL Big Money fans.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Lamers getting a million in spite of their awful season

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/01/.-fogelman.html

Come on Bobby go find some UL Big Money fans.

That's the part that troubles me. HUD for all his warts was a great money raiser and I appreciate that fact. Every coach should be seeking funds for more opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    That's the part that troubles me. HUD for all his warts was a great money raiser and I appreciate that fact. Every coach should be seeking funds for more opportunities.
    Well apparently, the basketball staff does raise money only to flip it back to using the proceeds to buy goodies for the donors. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Well apparently, the basketball staff does raise money only to flip it back to using the proceeds to buy goodies for the donors. LOL
    I know you are being facetious there. However to clarify, value of perks going to donors is probably less than 500 dollars.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst . 32 39 40 41 42

Thread Information