Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

Thread: 2018 FB G13: Louisiana 19, App State 30

Default Re: Championship Thread: Louisiana vs App State

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I don't think we're going to have anyone coming in fresh off the street aside from a grad transfer who will be talented enough to just be given the reigns and go with it over a guy who has 3 years in our system. Not saying that I'm endorsing Lewis but we don't get many Trevor Lawrence's or Tua's around here to just insert and get better play. Based on what we have scheduled to come in via recruiting, I'll take the guy with experience at this point.
    I'm willing to wait to see what transpires, I am counting on Napier fixing our lack of depth and talent at the QB position going into next year. If Lewis ends up being our QB for the next season, I would expect similar results to this year. That would be disappointing and I would certainly hope Napier has better plans than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I'm willing to wait to see what transpires, I am counting on Napier fixing our lack of depth and talent at the QB position going into next year. If Lewis ends up being our QB for the next season, I would expect similar results to this year. That would be disappointing and I would certainly hope Napier has better plans than that.
    First of all, I agree as I'm taking a wait and see approach as well and I certainly would expect the staff to try to fill depth best they can. Having said that, my original post was pointing out that it is often easier said than done to go out and find an immediate replacement who can come in immediately and give you better play than anyone currently on your roster and in your system. There is likely a good chance that Levi can and will be our starter come next year and like you, I feel like our results would be pretty similar.

Default Re: FB G13 Final Louisiana 19, App State 30

One difference is the QB keeping on the read option becomes a real threat. Defenses would make Levi prove he can beat them with his arm vs his legs for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Recession or not, I can’t imagine the economy in Boone, N.C. being any better than Lafayette, LA.
    For anyone who thinks the Boone economy has something to do with App attendance...Lots of $10 to $15 an hour jobs in the mountains, $30k a year is "good money" as they say...However, the school is basically it's largest employer. There is a huge alumni population in Charlotte, those are your 75k and up jobs. I keep asking myself why some of you guys can't understand the issues involved with attendance. Yea, some of it is the economy, but it gets tiresome hearing about the Lafayette economy when this latest OF collapse is the 3rd since the early 80s...look, I'm unemployed and over 60...the last thing I'm blaming on my plight is the economy. There's been bad and horrible local economies across the land while Lafayette was riding high...hell, I moved to NC 23 years ago, if it's no good in Lafayette for you, move. Lafayette is also a medical hub, technology, and banking hub...those businesses aren't suffering are they?

5. Default Re: FB G13 Final Louisiana 19, App State 30

Don’t think they’re bit(hing about their circumstances. Luckily I’ve had employment whenever I looked, but I’m very empathetic to those less fortunate. By the way once you move hundreds and thousands of miles away you’ll have a problem attending local games.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    For anyone who thinks the Boone economy has something to do with App attendance...Lots of $10 to $15 an hour jobs in the mountains, $30k a year is "good money" as they say...However, the school is basically it's largest employer. There is a huge alumni population in Charlotte, those are your 75k and up jobs. I keep asking myself why some of you guys can't understand the issues involved with attendance. Yea, some of it is the economy, but it gets tiresome hearing about the Lafayette economy when this latest OF collapse is the 3rd since the early 80s...look, I'm unemployed and over 60...the last thing I'm blaming on my plight is the economy. There's been bad and horrible local economies across the land while Lafayette was riding high...hell, I moved to NC 23 years ago, if it's no good in Lafayette for you, move. Lafayette is also a medical hub, technology, and banking hub...those businesses aren't suffering are they?
    Oil field service companies used to buy extra tickets and often for their producing company customers. Those other industries you mention don't have that dynamic.

I don't think we're going to have anyone coming in fresh off the street aside from a grad transfer who will be talented enough to just be given the reigns and go with it over a guy who has 3 years in our system. Not saying that I'm endorsing Lewis but we don't get many Trevor Lawrence's or Tua's around here to just insert and get better play. Based on what we have scheduled to come in via recruiting, I'll take the guy with experience at this point.
    That's why we are going after JUCO guys because Napier does not trust anyone on the roster to win the job

Lewis is still unpolished going into his junior year and refuses to take a redshirt

Having said that, my original post was pointing out that it is often easier said than done to go out and find an immediate replacement who can come in immediately and give you better play than anyone currently on your roster and in your system.
    True.

9. Default Re: FB G13 Final Louisiana 19, App State 30

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Oil field service companies used to buy extra tickets and often for their producing company customers. Those other industries you mention don't have that dynamic.
    The oilfield still does that.

No one would have them this year, that is why you saw paid attendance at 6000 to 8000 more than butts in the seats.

However, I believe that is about to change.

I agree with you, the Boone has something to do with the App attendance, as much as it's location. First, outside of hunting, fishing, hiking or rafting, there is nothing to do in Boone, NC. App State sports, football specifically is the only game in town. While there might be a huge alumni population in Charlotte, what percentage of those fans are driving hours in to Boone to watch App. State football? Sounds like a lot of speculation on your part, without very little to back it up.

The bottom line is, Boone NC and Lafayette, La. are miles apart in culture and population. There is no major university within hours of Boone NC. We are located 50 miles from the LSU campus in Baton Rouge. We have cultural activities almost weekly in South Louisiana in addition to hunting and fishing traditions of many families. The battle for the almighty entertainment dollar is more difficult when the job growth for the Lafayette area the past year has been a -1.0 %.

I've been back and forth to the Raleigh- Durham area for two years now. I've driven to Chapel Hill and Winston- Salem and Boone NC seems like light years away from any of those areas socially and economically. There is no comparison between the Lafayette market and Boone, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I agree with you, the Boone has something to do with the App attendance, as much as it's location. First, outside of hunting, fishing, hiking or rafting, there is nothing to do in Boone, NC. App State sports, football specifically is the only game in town. While there might be a huge alumni population in Charlotte, what percentage of those fans are driving hours in to Boone to watch App. State football? Sounds like a lot of speculation on your part, without very little to back it up.

The bottom line is, Boone NC and Lafayette, La. are miles apart in culture and population. There is no major university within hours of Boone NC. We are located 50 miles from the LSU campus in Baton Rouge. We have cultural activities almost weekly in South Louisiana in addition to hunting and fishing traditions of many families. The battle for the almighty entertainment dollar is more difficult when the job growth for the Lafayette area the past year has been a -1.0 %.

I've been back and forth to the Raleigh- Durham area for two years now. I've driven to Chapel Hill and Winston- Salem and Boone NC seems like light years away from any of those areas socially and economically. There is no comparison between the Lafayette market and Boone, NC.
    Those are major metro areas, Boone is, in the boonies...i didn't say there was a comparison between the two towns. App sinks a bunch of effort and $ into football..not so much with any of their other sports (that may soon change with new facilities being built off campus). Your right, football is the only game in town..and you forgot 🎿, 4 or 5 slops around the area. BTW, Charlotte is about a 2 hour drive to Boone, Asheville a bit less, large Alumni base there too.

Those are major metro areas, Boone is, in the boonies...i didn't say there was a comparison between the two towns. App sinks a bunch of effort and $ into football..not so much with any of their other sports (that may soon change with new facilities being built off campus). Your right, football is the only game in town..and you forgot 🎿, 4 or 5 slops around the area. BTW, Charlotte is about a 2 hour drive to Boone, Asheville a bit less, large Alumni base there too.
    Charlotte is not 50 miles from the campus of App State, that is my point. They don't have to fight the battle of sharing a market with one of the Top P5 programs in the country. They are the only game in town period.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    You can count on it, he's offered a JC QB that is a December Grad this past week. Our starting QB for next season is not on campus.

So I am guessing neither Gibson nor Blazek will be on scholarship next season. If we have Lewis, the two Fr QB 's and a JUCO coming in, we are back to 4 QBs on scholly which Napier has already said is less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    So I am guessing neither Gibson nor Blazek will be on scholarship next season. If we have Lewis, the two Fr QB 's and a JUCO coming in, we are back to 4 QBs on scholly which Napier has already said is less than ideal.
    All bets are off after spring on who will still be on scholarship.

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

Thread Information