Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MBB G7 Final: Louisiana 77, UNO 73

1. Default Re: MBB G7 Preview: Louisiana at New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    He would be our first big off the bench. He probably would get over 10 minutes and more in some games depending on matchups. He has improved greatly since leaving UL. However had he not transferred he would have finished last year.
    .Tempus fugit!

Agree with PJ bringing energy. How many of us thought Justin’s hook shot late in regulation had a chance to drop. Played string music with it.
    Now I just want to see Hayes have a game like Hardy did tonight.

He would be our first big off the bench. He probably would get over 10 minutes and more in some games depending on matchups. He has improved greatly since leaving UL. However had he not transferred he would have finished last year.
    No he redshirted so even though he was in the same signing class with Washington and Stove he was a year behind them. He sacrificed the spring semester of his sophomore year and the fall semester of his Junior year with the transfer. I agree that he would be seeing a lot of time off the bench right now with the Gladney and Julien injuries. It would probably allowed Lafayette to redshirt as well but of course maybe he wouldn’t even be here with one less scholarship.

Default Re: MBB G7 Final: Louisiana 77, UNO 73

You are right in that he would still be at UL had he not transferred. I must have gone brain dead for a second. Biggest loss we had from Scottie transferring was actually the year he left as we had little height for the bulk of conference play. He was the only guy we had we could throw the alley oop too on that team as Gant was sitting out. He may have only played 5 minutes a game at that point but that would have been crucial to give Washington and Miller a blow at times.

Not true. Jalen Johnson who is the St.Louis transfer has been recruited to play inside next year. He is not the rim protector Gant is. However he is a better shooter and rebounder. Nice stroke for a left hander. They are looking for more inside guys to sign in spring recruiting.
    I agree Jalen Johnson will be a very very good piece for next years team but we still desparately need a real inside rim protector. I don’t think Johnson will be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Make no mistake.this is not a Marlin apologist post.but I absolutely hate this argument.we all expect our team(s) to be competitive against SEC, Big 12, P5 programs.yet when teams from conferences beneath us compete against us.the sky is falling.which is it?
    The sky isn't falling. Its just a consistent theme.

7. Default Re: MBB G7 Final: Louisiana 77, UNO 73

One thing I’m going to say for the Big Fish, he kept looking for a working spark plug 🔌 and when PJ came into the game he said ya go little man.

Like Cajun Mike on the Killer’s hook. Don’t, don’t, YES.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I agree Jalen Johnson will be a very very good piece for next years team but we still desparately need a real inside rim protector. I don't think Johnson will be that guy.
    Johnson is a shooter and not a rim protector, he is a finesse player. We will def need some one to replace GANT

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I agree Jalen Johnson will be a very very good piece for next years team but we still desparately need a real inside rim protector. I don’t think Johnson will be that guy.
    You are correct in that Johnson will not be the rim protector that Gant is. He is one of the best around in doing that so finding someone who can replace that part of his game will be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    Johnson is a shooter and not a rim protector, he is a finesse player. We will def need some one to replace GANT
    I have seen Johnson a couple of times. He can be a finesse guy offensively but he bangs pretty well on the glass.

And look at Marlin's record of getting a high school or JUCO big (not a D1 transfer), it isn't very good at all. Plaisance, Elijah McCoy, Stalcup, none have ever given us good minutes. Lafayette doesn't seem the be that guy either.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The sky isn't falling. Its just a consistent theme.
    But is it a consistent theme to allow small programs to compete with us?.the biggest gripe on this board about Marlin is him padding his record with W’s against smaller schools.apparently he beats them religiously

Gladney has the potential be a rim protector type defender, hopefully we will know soon if he can fill that roll. The Spenkuch kid who just signed and Julien should be able to alter some shots as well. I would still like to see another “big” brought in as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    But is it a consistent theme to allow small programs to compete with us?.the biggest gripe on this board about Marlin is him padding his record with W’s against smaller schools.apparently he beats them religiously
    Respectable question and I noticed you asked me the same thing last night.

Beating small schools is one thing, but most of these “small schools” are either D2 or NAIA. With the money we are investing into the basketball program compared to our peers, this should be automatic wins with no questions asked. The problem is that it doesn’t help us get better. That coach who took us to OT last night makes barely over $100k with a program budget that’s equal to peanuts, and it took a clutch shot or two to come out with a win.

I’ve said it many times before. Cost has to match quality. With the cost being demanded from our fans, the quality has to give us a complimentary return. And that includes postseason appearances that doesn’t involve pay-ins. Padding wins against Loyola-New Orleans and The University of The Virgin Islands doesn’t help us as a team.

Now if we make the tournament this season, I will be the first one here to eat my crow stew over rice. But for now, the apathy has really started to sink in. And I know that I’m not the only person who feels this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Respectable question and I noticed you asked me the same thing last night.

Beating small schools is one thing, but most of these “small schools” are either D2 or NAIA. With the money we are investing into the basketball program compared to our peers, this should be automatic wins with no questions asked. The problem is that it doesn’t help us get better. That coach who took us to OT last night makes barely over $100k with a program budget that’s equal to peanuts, and it took a clutch shot or two to come out with a win.

I’ve said it many times before. Cost has to match quality. With the cost being demanded from our fans, the quality has to give us a complimentary return. And that includes postseason appearances that doesn’t involve pay-ins. Padding wins against Loyola-New Orleans and The University of The Virgin Islands doesn’t help us as a team.

Now if we make the tournament this season, I will be the first one here to eat my crow stew over rice. But for now, the apathy has really started to sink in. And I know that I’m not the only person who feels this way.
    Not saying you are wrong.but wouldn't it be hypocritical for us to expect to be competitive with P5 programs with multiples of our budget? We seem to expect Marlin to be competitive on occasion with those guys, but for teams with fractions of our budget to never be competitive with us.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information