Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Cajun Field Renovation Plans

1. Default Re: Cajun Field Renovation Plans

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think a lot of the delay (and this is true for the past 10 years) is our money managers asking themselves if the juice is worth the squeeze. If we miss this next realignment window, we will be so drastically marginalized, it would actually end up being a net loss for the university to invest in big time facilities.

If you look around the country, attendance and TV ratings are down for sports across the board, but collegiate sports are particularly trending downward. In fact, the only demo still
    propping up big NFL numbers is the betting public.

I can definitely see a scenario where, in a macro sense, we've missed the big opportunity. The bell curve has run its course. At this point, it might be about maximizing our lot in life and finding a way to survive, efficiently.
    Finding a multipurpose use is key.

Default Re: Cajun Field Renovation Plans

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I think a lot of the delay (and this is true for the past 10 years) is our money managers asking themselves if the juice is worth the squeeze. If we miss this next realignment window, we will be so drastically marginalized, it would actually end up being a net loss for the university to invest in big time facilities.

If you look around the country, attendance and TV ratings are down for sports across the board, but collegiate sports are particularly trending downward. In fact, the only demo still
    propping up big NFL numbers is the betting public.

I can definitely see a scenario where, in a macro sense, we've missed the big opportunity. The bell curve has run its course. At this point, it might be about maximizing our lot in life and finding a way to survive, efficiently.
    There is no real juice to squeeze since the hard numbers of donors is the issue. Looking at where we are financially you are probably correct. Even though ULM is last by a mile budget wise behind us, in the SBC there is nobody between UL and ULM. Optics not good, and I honestly question if any conference was looking at UL during the last realignment because of lack of "juice".

We need to get in shape for whatever comes when the 64 power football teams break away. And under no circumstance fall for promoting G-5 or mid major verbiage unless forced to by the NCAA. In doing so, we are admitting defeat and "knowing our place".

All we need is the lower bowl something like Maryland. To me would be the fastest and cheapest route. Just like the picture below. We need a canopy also

Cajun Field can also: 1. host a couple high school select Championship games since they've splintered off from the Superdome due to the split. 2. Host an outdoor in stadium all day Country Music Concert. Make it different from what BR/NOLA do. 3. Host annual weekend Statewide Youth Rally of Young Catholics or Young Christians, whatever works best.

Just throwing mud at the wall of potential attractions more likely involving young folks. Cajun Field, the stadium, could be and should be serving a greater purpose to the region and State secondary to being home of the Ragin Cajuns.

Back in the 80’s we had a kickoff concert with Reba McEntire. Hot as heck and played to the main grandstand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    All we need is the lower bowl something like Maryland. To me would be the fastest and cheapest route. Just like the picture below. We need a canopy also

Without an upper deck, we will have to complete the bowl to reach 30,000 - 35,000 seats. Besides, Maryland is not bowled because they have their version of an APC in the end zone. I personally don't like it because it looks unfinished like our stadium does now. Just complete the bowl, mirror the SEZ with the concession and rest room look around the NEZ and East side of the stadium so it has a finished symmetrical look. Then tear down the upper deck and build the press box, suites, and loge seating. And, tear down the Cox Bldg. and build an add-on facility to the back of the East side of the stadium, not the West side. It needs to face the Cajun Dome and be adjacent to the APC so all football facilities are in the same area. Then put a smaller version of the FDL and Quad on campus where the Cox Bldg. was to connect with the baseball and tennis facilities. Then we have a beautiful athletic complex that will tie into the academic campus.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Without an upper deck, we will have to complete the bowl to reach 30,000 - 35,000 seats. Besides, Maryland is not bowled because they have their version of an APC in the end zone. I personally don't like it because it looks unfinished like our stadium does now. Just complete the bowl, mirror the SEZ with the concession and rest room look around the NEZ and East side of the stadium so it has a finished symmetrical look. Then tear down the upper deck and build the press box, suites, and loge seating. And, tear down the Cox Bldg. and build an add-on facility to the back of the East side of the stadium, not the West side. It needs to face the Cajun Dome and be adjacent to the APC so all football facilities are in the same area. Then put a smaller version of the FDL and Quad on campus where the Cox Bldg. was to connect with the baseball and tennis facilities. Then we have a beautiful athletic complex that will tie into the academic campus.
    Think we need to push everyone closer to the field. I agree with the concept of bowling it in. We should be able to redo the upper deck like Illinois, and later on bowl it in, we would have a beautiful freaking stadium. With a canopy of course.

It doesn’t have to be that nice you can get rid of the towers on each end of the press box and get rid of a story on the press box and it would full fill our needs.

Face it, we won’t do didly poop.

Man, looking at all these stadiums makes me realize just how much our stadium looks like shizzle. And that's not even counting the trailer park pressbox.

UL Football Re: Cajun Field Renovation Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Think we need to push everyone closer to the field. I agree with the concept of bowling it in. We should be able to redo the upper deck like Illinois, and later on bowl it in, we would have a beautiful freaking stadium. With a canopy of course.

It doesn't have to be that nice you can get rid of the towers on each end of the press box and get rid of a story on the press box and it would full fill our needs.

I like this example. We still need some seats to go with the new press box/suites to maximize revenue. Seats on the sideline are much more valuable than seats in the endzone.

This whole process is not what it should be. Our stadium is a dump, the football team is at a low, and we want to take on the most important reconstruction project in history of Cajun sports. All this talk of multiple phases and small improvements is underwhelming. With all due respect Dr. Maggard, please don't "F" this up. A lot is riding on Coach Napier to take this team beyond it's past and generate the needed excitement to get this program where we all want it to be.

11. Default Re: Cajun Field Renovation Plans

Lots of good ideas

Was in Cal's stadium yesterday. Something like this with a soccer canopy would be perfect.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Seriously doubt we ever see a “soccer canopy” or anything like it at Cajun field

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    Seriously doubt we ever see a “soccer canopy” or anything like it at Cajun field
    I agree. UL would never do something that is attractive, relatively inexpensive, provides shade and some weather protection for fans and holds crowd noise in to make the crowd seem louder. It just makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I agree. UL would never do something that is attractive, relatively inexpensive, provides shade and some weather protection for fans and holds crowd noise in to make the crowd seem louder. It just makes too much sense.

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information