Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39

Thread: G12 Final: Louisiana 31, ULM 28

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    For those of you who suggest this defense sucks (and several of you did during this thread), let's do a statistical comparison.

Caleb Evans is the most dynamic player in the Sun Belt Conference.

LAST YEAR VS. ULM
    Evans 23-34, 345 yards, one touchdown
    Evans 16 carries, 129 yards FIVE touchdowns

THIS YEAR VS. ULM
    Evans 15-24, 201 yards, two touchdowns one interception
    Evans 13 carries 24 yards

LAST YEAR VS. ULM
    Evans 474 yards total offense, six touchdowns responsible

THIS YEAR VS. ULM
    Evans 225 yards, one touchdowns responsible

LAST YEAR VS. ULM
    Cajun defense gave up 526 yards

THIS YEAR VS. ULM
    Cajun defense gave up 344 yards

LAST YEAR VS. ULM
    Cajun defense no sacks

THIS YEAR VS. ULM
    Cajun defense 3 sacks for -20

LAST YEAR VS. ULM
    Cajun defense forced no turnovers

THIS YEAR VS. ULM
    Cajun defense forced two turnovers

LAST YEAR: Cajuns' defense gave up 43 points in regulation (56 total)
    THIS YEAR: Cajuns' defense gave up 21 points

We did this starting two walkons (Malbrue and Wallace were awarded scholarships after the spring game) and a converted WR on defense.

For those of you who wonder about the timing on using Levi Lewis...Lewis ALWAYS plays on the fourth series of each half. He generated ten points on his two drives Saturday. His touchdown pass to Mitchell was his sixth of the year. He has thrown one interception.

Nunez knows when Lewis is coming in. Him sitting out a series does not mess with anything because he's more mentally tough than that.

ULM was among the league leaders in TFL. We saw that in the second half. Their run defense is ridiculously improved since last year.

But our defense has come light years since the beginning of the season. And, I would say the game ball yesterday goes to the Louisiana defense for their ability to make Evans ordinary.

-
    About the cigars:

The Cajuns brought 156 cigars to Monroe. They lit em up after the game.

In the locker room celebration, Napier said "Smoke em if you got em!"

I'm sure ULM will have something in their craw about that, just as they did with Hud throwing a touchdown pass on the last play of the game in 2012.

But who cares?

This year's defense is multiple times better technique wise then last year's defense. That and the packages we run are sound.....

Default Re: G12 Final: Louisiana 31, ULM 28

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    This year's defense is multiple times better technique wise then last year's defense. That and the packages we run are sound.....
    Absolutely. Right now we are doing this will a few walk ons and backups at key spots but just imagine once the natural athletic ability and talent level comes up to match. Going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Our defense played better than last year. There is no doubt about that. You are correct in that regard. Our defense has improved quite a bit from the early part of the season to now. Again, you are correct in that. However, our defense is still not good. I'm not stating my opinion (which believes this as well) but statistically. We are not even in the top 100 in FBS in total defense. OK, I get it lets not compare us to major conference leaders. Even in the SBC, we are still 3rd to last. We give up 440 yards per game. To say its improved is accurate but to still say its not very good is also accurate.
    I never suggested the defense was good. Those stats were in response to those who said "our defense sucks" during THIS game. I was simply pointing out that, no, the defense did not suck in this game. Far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I never suggested the defense was good. Those stats were in response to those who said "our defense sucks" during THIS game. I was simply pointing out that, no, the defense did not suck in this game. Far from it.
    Odd that people would say that considering the fact that this was the defense's best performance of the year

5. UL Football Re: G12 Final: Louisiana 31, ULM 28

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Our defense played better than last year. There is no doubt about that. You are correct in that regard. Our defense has improved quite a bit from the early part of the season to now. Again, you are correct in that. However, our defense is still not good. I'm not stating my opinion (which believes this as well) but statistically. We are not even in the top 100 in FBS in total defense. OK, I get it lets not compare us to major conference leaders. Even in the SBC, we are still 3rd to last. We give up 440 yards per game. To say its improved is accurate but to still say its not very good is also accurate.
    Before Saturday (11 games) ULM averaged 421 yards per game on offense. Louisiana's Defense held them to 344

Just comparing this year to this year.

Anyway........

Great win by the Cajuns, and I think App State will have their hands full this weekend. We should definitely be playing as if we have nothing to lose. That's a great position to be in.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39

Thread Information