Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Lamson Park Is Getting Turf

Default Re: Lamson Park Is Getting Turf

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Went by today and the field is actually different than the turf at Russo Park. Helmut can explain the differences much better than me but here goes.

For baseball, loads of underground drainage pipes with rock were installed below the field surface before the final top coat and turf were installed.

From what I could see the softball field going down is more like an indoor arena except with some drainage component. The outfield areas outside the standard dirt/clay infield was dug down, leveled, and a concrete covering was installed over the field except right along the outfield wall where a "french" drain system will be installed. On top of the concrete it appears they will install some type of padding/foam type underlayment that water can permeate and allow the water to run off to the drains. On top of that surface they will have the rubber pellets typical of turf fields and then the turf. I'm hoping that Helmut has some familiarity with this process to correct any guesswork I've done. After leaving I was sorry I didn't take any photos.
    The concrete area you speak of is probably soil cement. A concrete slab would be prohibitively expensive and they would not have been able to do it in such short time. They may place a thin layer of limestone over the soil cement for final grading. They will then place a plastic drainage layer / padding. It looks like an egg container. It pops together like Lego blocks but its rolled out in sheets.

Once that is done they will roll out the turf and seam it together. It's glued together just like regular home carpet but the tape is wider with a different type of hot melt glue. The backing for the turf has millions of perforations to let the water through. Once the turf is down they get sheep shears and cut out the areas for lines and logos. They glue the lines and logos down with hot melt glue. That makes the lines a little bit higher than the rest of the turf. (It's the same with yard line numbers and hash marks on football fields). That's why you will see players trip on a wide open field.

Once the turf is down they place a layer of sand over the field. They brush it in til about one inch of the blade is showing. The sand is to weigh the turf down so it doesn't blow up in high winds. After the sand they spread rubber pellets over the turf and brush them in until about one quarter of an inch of the grass shows. The rubber is a cushion. The warning track will probably be a little shorter blade with not as much cushion.

If there drainage doesn't work or is inadequate, the rubber pellets will float around and redistribute themselves.

That's the Cliff Notes version.

Brushing the sand and rubber into the turf has to be done on a day with high humidity. A static electric charge will build up and the pellets won't sink into the turf. It will shock the hell out of you too.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

Thanks to their leadership and sacrifice, never again will a female student be subjected to the trauma of observing long grass in the outfield during the off-season.
    Not to mention those unsightly grass stains on their uniforms. Oh the huge manatee.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    The concrete area you speak of is probably soil cement. A concrete slab would be prohibitively expensive and they would not have been able to do it in such short time. They may place a thin layer of limestone over the soil cement for final grading. They will then place a plastic drainage layer / padding. It looks like an egg container. It pops together like Lego blocks but its rolled out in sheets.

Once that is done they will roll out the turf and seam it together. It's glued together just like regular home carpet but the tape is wider with a different type of hot melt glue. The backing for the turf has millions of perforations to let the water through. Once the turf is down they get sheep shears and cut out the areas for lines and logos. They glue the lines and logos down with hot melt glue. That makes the lines a little bit higher than the rest of the turf. (It's the same with yard line numbers and hash marks on football fields). That's why you will see players trip on a wide open field.

Once the turf is down they place a layer of sand over the field. They brush it in til about one inch of the blade is showing. The sand is to weigh the turf down so it doesn't blow up in high winds. After the sand they spread rubber pellets over the turf and brush them in until about one quarter of an inch of the grass shows. The rubber is a cushion. The warning track will probably be a little shorter blade with not as much cushion.

If there drainage doesn't work or is inadequate, the rubber pellets will float around and redistribute themselves.

There was a honeycomb looking frame underneath the concrete they were pouring. Cement trucks were pulling in while I was there. One of the workers was telling me they poured in strips but they intended to do the pour at one time but weather got in the way. They had all of it poured and were working on the last piece by the gate in the right field corner when I was there today. It looked 4" at least.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    There was a honeycomb looking frame underneath the concrete they were pouring. Cement trucks were pulling in while I was there. One of the workers was telling me they poured in strips but they intended to do the pour at one time but weather got in the way. They had all of it poured and were working on the last piece by the gate in the right field corner when I was there today. It looked 4" at least.
    Really. I will shoot them a text message tomorrow to get the scoop.

Brushing the sand and rubber into the turf has to be done on a day with high humidity. A static electric charge will build up and the pellets won't sink into the turf. It will shock the hell out of you too.
    No shortage of those to choose from here.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    BUT BUT BUT I thought we were trying to shut down the softball program. This looks like the total opposite. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    it does seem to feel much hotter at times on turf, is that people's experience at the tigue?

I landscaped during the summer in college one job we had to dig 6" down with a pick ax through soil cement for about 50 yards to lay down some irrigation in 102 F . The next semester I took 18 hours to get the hell out of school and find an office job.

There are turf fields that put cork pellets down to reduce temps. I know they did at Nebraska. I seems to me they would float however.

Don't thank me now, more to come: Not working today:

11. Default Re: Lamson Park Is Getting Turf

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    Don't thank me now, more to come: Not working today:
    That looks like big fat sandy exclamation point on a national championship season.

Beat me to it Frenchie. I went by for lunch today and took a few as well.

Helmut, I tried to get some closer views of the edge of the concrete, the drain area, and the honeycomb forms that I saw. Below is the outfield gate area and the drain area by the fence. I still don't know where they are going to route the water once it leaves the drain.

Below is the edge where the old turf, concrete, and dirt infield meet.

Below is a far and closer view of the honeycomb forms I mentioned earlier.

If we keep this up we will have our pick of the most elite in High School Softball. The will be knocking down out doors to come in.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information