Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 28 29 30 31

Thread: 2018 FB G7: Louisiana 17, App St. 27

1. Default Re: G7 Final: Louisiana 17, App St. 27

Quote Originally Posted by ninacajun View Post
    I think the thing we fail to think about as fans is what led to the play call in these situations. The coaches have broken down an extensive amount of film to see how the defense will line up against the formation they want to use in that down and distance, then chose plays both run and pass, that they like and worked on all week in practice before narrowing it down by weeks end to the plays they think can be best executed. All offensive plays are designed to work when executed correctly. Sometimes you fail due to poor execution, and sometimes you fail because the other team is better, sometimes they stunt out of the predicted alignment and you end up with a "look" you weren't expecting. My main point is there are so many variables we don't think about as a casual fan sometimes. And I'm not saying we can't be critical as fans, or that coaches don't make wrong decisions. I guarantee the best coaches second guess themselves when they don't get the desired outcome...they just have to do it less frequently than inferior coaches.
    Worth posting again.

Default Re: G7 Final: Louisiana 17, App St. 27

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Worth posting again.
    Watched those two third down play calls multiple times and while yes, they were run to the same hole, they were blocked very differently. Napier obviously thought there was some sort of advantage there, but we didn't execute.

I also noticed that App State had a DL that was 5'10" 255 lbs (probably generous on both of those) and he gave us a lot of trouble. My point being that App St is doing what I believe the Cajuns are doing. They are recruiting football players, even if they aren't ideal D1 size. Case in point, Garror is LISTED at 5'9", 180 lbs, so probably more like 5'8", 170 and is balling out for us right now. I expect we will see the same out of Ochoa next season and some of these other Freshmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Watched those two third down play calls multiple times and while yes, they were run to the same hole, they were blocked very differently. Napier obviously thought there was some sort of advantage there, but we didn't execute.

I also noticed that App State had a DL that was 5'10" 255 lbs (probably generous on both of those) and he gave us a lot of trouble. My point being that App St is doing what I believe the Cajuns are doing. They are recruiting football players, even if they aren't ideal D1 size. Case in point, Garror is LISTED at 5'9", 180 lbs, so probably more like 5'8", 170 and is balling out for us right now. I expect we will see the same out of Ochoa next season and some of these other Freshmen.
    They are recruiting to their offensive and defensive schemes and philosophy....and they are recruiting not just good athletes but good football players....that is exactly what our staff is doing. App's staff has been doing this since 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Actually, I can only think of one other time when the team had to spend a second night on the road. There have been delays more than once, but not to the point where a second night on the road was necessary.

There was a malfunction with the plane. The team was told about it after leaving the stadium and they were told they wouldn't be returning. The guys who handle the travel busted their butts to make sure rooms were secured. It took three hotels in two cities (Kingsport and Johnson City, TN) to get everyone accomodated.

This was much better than the last time when everyone sat on the plane for over two hours before finding out they couldn't fly out. That was in 2011 after pounding MTSU.

But there were no issues today and the team arrived at 11:45am.
    That was a brutal trip but at least it was a win! I will never forget watching the players crush that buffet at Golden Corral on Sunday. They lost money for sure!

It looks like the plane they flew back on has not departed Lafayette. Sounds like it still having mechanical problems. That's a real confidence builder.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Several observations from attending the App Game...

1) App Defense is as advertised. They are extremely fast, physical, play till the echo of the whistle is gone...deep and can run like deers. This is a P5 defense in G5 clothing...very impressive live and in person.
    2) UL walked on that field expecting to win. I think the "new day" for UL football dawned yesterday at 330pm est. Very impressed with the attitude, physicality, and workmanship of the team.
    3) QB played in general was a fail, but that was due in large part to the App defense.
    4) UL Defense came to play. They threw 4 balls that I can think of to Garren's side, he picked one, almost had another pick, swatted one a way, and had great coverage on a post pattern in the first quarter where he was flagged. Not a bad days work. Jacquet had his moments as well, swatting a ball or two away, both in one on one coverage. He also ran down the App back who broke free for the 60+ yard gain.
    5) Offense worked the left side of the App defense pretty good yesterday, pulling another lineman or tight end to that side would have helped break a few runs. Overall, OLine held its own yesterday, again, you see it live, you get a better context.
    6) There is nothing like an on-campus game. Advantage App. Their students show up, the area supports them both with attendance and funding. For App athletics, its really the only game in town.
    UL should send its game day folks to Boone for a weekend and learn what a "game day experience" should be. I sat in student section with my daughter, during the game, the students didn't sit, didn't have a mass cell phone usage until half time, responded to video board, and were totally into the game. Of course, the product on the field has something to do with that, but there is a deep and appreciative football tradition at App that goes way, way, deeper than anything UL can dredge up. Weather was tolerable, no issues during game, so stadium was basically full. They know how to do this at Boone, about time UL learned how to do it as well
    In a town smaller than Ruston.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    It looks like the plane they flew back on has not departed Lafayette. Sounds like it still having mechanical problems. That's a real confidence builder.
    That was a different plane from the one that had the issues last night.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Exactly, well said. Some people just can't see it and want to make excuses. Ultimately it's the Coach.
    And ultimately, I think Napier will be the ultimate coach for us.

This forum is a mad house. It takes itself too seriously sometimes. The petty little infighting is exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    They are recruiting to their offensive and defensive schemes and philosophy....and they are recruiting not just good athletes but good football players....that is exactly what our staff is doing. App's staff has been doing this since 2014.
    Exactly !!! We do still lack talent on this team, but the talent we do have (at certain positions) doesn't necessarily fit the philosophy we want to run.

Where I have made mistakes in the past, is that I envied other's success. Now, after years of mistakes, I have changed my way of thinking. The only true way to build this for the long term is systematically with buyin from top down.

Look at the pros ... Patriots, Astros, Warriors ... ownership, in lockstep with the front office, in lock step with the coaching staff, in lock step with the players.

College is no different, you have to have the President, AD, coaches, and student athletes all on the same page and working in the same direction. We have NEVER had this for as long as I can remember. Definitely didn't have it with Dr A as President. We got T-Joe, but then our AD was a putz. Now we have a President & AD who get it, and with the possible exception of Marlin (who I am not giving up on yet) a coaching staff that is right there as well.

We have the right to be critical, but after all these years, we also have the right to be optimistic.

GEAUX CAJUNS !!!

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    In a town smaller than Ruston.
    How does Ruston have anything to do with this?

11. Default Re: G7 Final: Louisiana 17, App St. 27

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    How does Ruston have anything to do with this?
    .....a relative comparison....juxtaposition my boy! A college town with small dimensions and population!

We had that game day experience back in Tamarella and Stokley days. From then on we lost it due to previous administration not having the proper vision of sustaining a good football program. During Tamarella days LSU was not as successful and had a lot of new fans attending our games. After those days we had subpar football with subpar results. You had to be consistent in winning. The schedule during those years were very good against some of the AAC teams of today. We were competitive against P5 teams. People's perception today is we are playing 1AA schedule. HUD was successful for 3 years then turned south after that.

13. Default Re: G7 Final: Louisiana 17, App St. 27

Quote Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
    We had that game day experience back in Tamarella and Stokley days. From then on we lost it due to previous administration not having the proper vision of sustaining a good football program. During Tamarella days LSU was not as successful and had a lot of new fans attending our games. After those days we had subpar football with subpar results. You had to be consistent in winning. The schedule during those years were very good against some of the AAC teams of today. We were competitive against P5 teams. People's perception today is we are playing 1AA schedule. HUD was successful for 3 years then turned south after that.
    Interesting.

It shows that no matter who you are, winning comes and goes.

Better have the infrastructure to keep interest reasonable through the slow periods.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 28 29 30 31

Thread Information