Thread: Gerald Hebert

1. Default Gerald Hebert

With all of his involvement in Ragin’ Cajun athletics, and his leadership role in so many Acadiana-area sports events over more than four decades, it’s sometimes forgotten that Gerald Hebert was a pretty good baseball player.

He was a two-time All-State pitcher in his hometown at Abbeville High, and followed that with two solid seasons after walking onto the then-USL program. Shortly afterward, his four consecutive weekend shutouts in a semi-pro league caught the attention of the New York Mets organization, where he spent the next six years pitching.

2. Default Re: Gerald Hebert

Good read. All of our fanbase should know who this man is, where he came from, and what he’s done to progress this athletic department.

Default Re: Gerald Hebert

He worked with us at STM in our 1st year of baseball. He spent a day teaching mechanics and pickoffs. One of those pickoffs worked perfectly after a lead off triple for Berwick in our State Chanpionship Finals game. Berwick’s coach at the time, Sam Tauli who later was at Lafayette High, was so upset he gave our 3B an aggressive push. Others have called it a punch. We went on to win the 1983 State Championship game in extra innings.

Ergo, Gerald Hebert had a hand in me now having a state championship ring.

4. Default Re: Gerald Hebert

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    He worked with us at STM in our 1st year of baseball. He spent a day teaching mechanics and pickoffs. One of those pickoffs worked perfectly after a lead off triple for Berwick in our State Chanpionship Finals game. Berwick’s coach at the time, Sam Tauli who later was at Lafayette High, was so upset he gave our 3B an aggressive push. Others have called it a punch. We went on to win the 1983 State Championship game in extra innings.

Ergo, Gerald Hebert had a hand in me now having a state championship ring.
    Good stuff.

I am glad Gerald is being honored. He has done so much for UL and richly deserves this honor. I remember many years back some of us volunteered to help at the athletic complex. Gerald an Dr. Fun ramroded the deal, but Gerald was out there with a paint brush working his arse off with us. At that time there weren't very many of us, but those efforts were the beginning of what is going on now. Congratulations to a great Ragin Cajun and a great friend.

The LHSAA needs to kick themselves in the arse for pulling the Top 24 from Gerald and the City of Lafayette as well. It was never better before Gerald brought it here or since leaving here.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Good read. All of our fanbase should know who this man is, where he came from, and what he’s done to progress this athletic department.
    There is no doubt the "G-Man" has been critical to this program. Him going out to raise money even when he was told not to is why we have what we have today, along with many others. Sent him my congratulations and wish I could be there Friday night.

Not to mention he's a GREAT friend to a whole lot of people!!

GERALD is Awesomeness respelled! He also started years ago The Games Of Acadiana, May have been called something different but it was also All outside! We served on the Baseball ⚾️ Executive committee together and did some good things like boxseats down the first and third base lines, outfield wall that still stands, Gameday Sponsor Board, the Big Scoreboard before the one we have now, and Grand stand chair back seats, and a whole lot more. Gerald was and is SO fun and nice to be around! TRY THIS, ask Gerald your Cell Phone number if he as ever called you once HE WILL REMEMBER WHAT IT IS!!! What a memory! I love me some Gerald!

Thread Information