Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to TXST

Default Re: Looking ahead to TXST

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    The harm is that he could turn the ball over and cause us to lose a winnable game at Texas St. If Napier wants to put him in during a blowout that sounds reasonable, but he and his staff are paid a lot of money to win football games. I highly doubt a better QB option is sitting on the bench. I said this several times, but I will say it again.highly skilled football players do not sit on the bench at UL. There is no solution other than scheming around the limitations of our current starters.
    I actually agree with you about starting this guy.but you do know Brian Mitchell didn't start every game as a Freshman right? Highly skilled guys sit the bench sometimes at all schools.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I actually agree with you about starting this guy.but you do know Brian Mitchell didn't start every game as a Freshman right? Highly skilled guys sit the bench sometimes at all schools.
    Jake only started because of injury. The coaching staff didn’t think he could play. No one knows what can happen. Competition does incredible things to forball players.

The harm is that he could turn the ball over and cause us to lose a winnable game at Texas St. If Napier wants to put him in during a blowout that sounds reasonable, but he and his staff are paid a lot of money to win football games. I highly doubt a better QB option is sitting on the bench. I said this several times, but I will say it again.highly skilled football players do not sit on the bench at UL. There is no solution other than scheming around the limitations of our current starters.

Gibson did not come into the program until summer other QB's had a 5-month head start. QB is a position where guys who have superior talent sometimes sit the bench for guys who have a better understanding of the scheme. Not saying he is our savior but the 2nd half of the season I would not be upset if we threw him into a game instead of Lewis.

Brian Mitchell played extensively from his first game on in 1986. I believe he was our leading rusher. Not counting Redshirts, you would be hard pressed to find an impact player at UL who sat the bench for the early part of his career. On this team I could see a talented Freshman at the WR or RB who is buried on the depth chart. All other positions are there for the taking. Heck, we even have an undersized true Freshman playing extensive snaps at OT.
    Bottom line, we are not stacked at the QB position and this guy is not on the 2deep depth chart. He is probably not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Jake only started because of injury. The coaching staff didn’t think he could play. No one knows what can happen. Competition does incredible things to forball players.
    Yeah, I was on campus back then. Everyone knew Jake was the man early on. The staff was hoping to redshirt him so he could bulk up. Either way he was a 4 year starter. Kind of fits what I am saying.

6. Default Re: Looking ahead to TXST

Not just injury.

There was a lack of production ahead of Jake in game one.

Stokley didn't immediately go to Jake when needed. In game one Stokley went through every other QB before thrusting Jake behind center. A spot he would not relinquish.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Gibson did not come into the program until summer other QB's had a 5-month head start. QB is a position where guys who have superior talent sometimes sit the bench for guys who have a better understanding of the scheme. Not saying he is our savior but the 2nd half of the season I would not be upset if we threw him into a game instead of Lewis.
    Why did he not come earlier? He was brought in after Davis left the program so they could fill out the QB depth. If he was a legitimate D1 starter he would not been available to us. He has some athletic ability so I’m sure he is an upgrade at the 3rd/4th string position.

8. Default

Yeah, I was on campus back then. Everyone knew Jake was the man early on. The staff was hoping to redshirt him so he could bulk up. Either way he was a 4 year starter. Kind of fits what I am saying.
    100000% wrong

Why did he not come earlier? He was brought in after Davis left the program so they could fill out the QB depth. If he was a legitimate D1 starter he would not been available to us. He has some athletic ability, so I'm sure he is an upgrade at the 3rd/4th string position.

Grades, he was injured, and the fact he wanted to be back home could have played a factor in why he was not available or why he was walked on when the semester ended. Begin a legit D1 starter or not that is a decision we cant make until he gets some playing time. Your TIGHAS offered him a PWO as well

LOL he ran out as like the 3rd qb that day. It's absurd to think that talented guys don't get missed on every team.

Neither Brian Mitchell nor Jake Delhomme started their first games as Freshman. Just that destroys your theory. Everybody knew Mitchell was a stud.but even they didn't recognize how much so evidently

100000% wrong
    No I am not. Back then you could watch practice. He was obviously the man in fall practice, but he was small back then. Were you watching the practices also?

LOL he ran out as like the 3rd qb that day. It's absurd to think that talented guys don't get missed on every team.

Neither Brian Mitchell nor Jake Delhomme started their first games as Freshman. Just that destroys your theory. Everybody knew Mitchell was a stud.but even they didn't recognize how much so evidently
    Please read my initial post. I did not say they have to start from day one. I said impactful players get on the field very early in their careers at UL. Delhomme, Mitchell, Stokley, Fenroy, Harris, Green, Lawson. I could go on and on. My point is.a Redshirt junior should be getting meaningful snaps if he is a difference maker for us.

Grades, he was injured, and the fact he wanted to be back home could have played a factor in why he was not available or why he was walked on when the semester ended. Begin a legit D1 starter or not that is a decision we cant make until he gets some playing time. Your TIGHAS offered him a PWO as well
    Doesn’t LSU have a numbers problem at QB? Do you honestly believe they offered him a chance to complete for the starting job? And they are not my Tigers. I bet you watch them more than I do.

Doesn't LSU have a numbers problem at QB? Do you honestly believe they offered him a chance to complete for the starting job? And they are not my Tigers. I bet you watch them more than I do.
    You just said he was not a considered a D1 QB

At the time I'm pretty sure they were looking for a starting QB and you

Can't tell you the last time I watched a game

Have not watched a game in 3 years and at the time I'm positive they were looking for a starting QB
    Lol. What do you think Coach O? Should we go after Burrow at Ohio St or the Mississippi JC kid to be our starter at LSU?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information