Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pre Season Basketball Notes

Default Pre Season Basketball Notes

Here are a few things some of you may be interested in;

1) Pelicans had their first practice today. Some UL folks were there to support Elfrid Payton in his first action back in his home state. Good recruiting move there as it shows we continue to support our athletes once their Cajun career is complete.

2) Cajuns have their first practice tomorrow. That is earlier than usual. However that is due to the new rule allowing the season to start earlier. I don't know our complete practice schedule but suspect it will be something like 5 days per week as you are only allowed so many practices prior to Game 1. They generally are at 3 PM at the indoor facility until the court is put in place at the Dome.

3) It is likely a few days from now some will hear practice reports indicating which newcomers look like they can contribute and what kind of shape returnees are in. I know Justin Miller has lost 20 pounds and hope other guys are in better physical condition as well.

4) We do not play an exhibition game this year. Normally, we play one exhibition and one secret scrimmage. My information indicates we will have 2 "secret" scrimmages this year. That may do more to help prepare the guys for the season as both scrimmages are against D1 programs.

5) I have no idea when those scrimmages will be or where they will be held. I have heard they are against schools within easy driving distance in our region. I have heard one is against a CUSA school and one is against a SBC school but I cannot verify that to be the case. Once they are held, some may hear post reports of what occurred but details cannot be shared due to NCAA rules. You can get in trouble if info is released from those affairs.

Default Re: Pre Season Basketball Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post

1) Pelicans had their first practice today. Some UL folks were there to support Elfrid Payton in his first action back in his home state. Good recruiting move there as it shows we continue to support our athletes once their Cajun career is complete.

2) Cajuns have their first practice tomorrow. That is earlier than usual. However that is due to the new rule allowing the season to start earlier. I don't know our complete practice schedule but suspect it will be something like 5 days per week as you are only allowed so many practices prior to Game 1. They generally are at 3 PM at the indoor facility until the court is put in place at the Dome.

3) It is likely a few days from now some will hear practice reports indicating which newcomers look like they can contribute and what kind of shape returnees are in. I know Justin Miller has lost 20 pounds and hope other guys are in better physical condition as well.

4) We do not play an exhibition game this year. Normally, we play one exhibition and one secret scrimmage. My information indicates we will have 2 "secret" scrimmages this year. That may do more to help prepare the guys for the season as both scrimmages are against D1 programs.

5) I have no idea when those scrimmages will be or where they will be held. I have heard they are against schools within easy driving distance in our region. I have heard one is against a CUSA school and one is against a SBC school but I cannot verify that to be the case. Once they are held, some may hear post reports of what occurred but details cannot be shared due to NCAA rules. You can get in trouble if info is released from those affairs.
    Has the nutrition staff worked with the basketball team

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Has the nutrition staff worked with the basketball team
    Yes. Nutrition staff works with every athlete on campus. Those people had a direct role in helping Justin Miller lose some excess weight. For the first time in his life, he can now dunk a basketball. I am not sure you will see that in games but at least he can do it with no one around him.

I'm hoping Justin Miller can play a similar role to what Bryce did the last few years. To me they play with a similar style (high basketball IQ, always around the ball and find a way to to score)

They both competed for the same minutes though as both couldn't be on the court together at the same time due to a lack of length on defense.

Yes. Nutrition staff works with every athlete on campus. Those people had a direct role in helping Justin Miller lose some excess weight. For the first time in his life, he can now dunk a basketball. I am not sure you will see that in games but at least he can do it with no one around him.
    Did they tell him to stop shooting 3s also? Sorry not sorry

I always said that Miller was an " under the rim player" but I didn't know how literal that was.

Just a preseason thought:

Starting 5

PG Stroman
    G Marquetti
    G Russell
    F Gant
    F Miller

Bench will be very young with the exception of Davis and Hardy who have been very inconsistent in their young careers.

Hayes
    Hardy
    Davis
    Gladney
    Wesley

Others

Aucoin
    Lafayette

The following will probably or will sit out:

Julien Injury
    Mouton Redshirt to improve
    Johnson sit out due to NCAA rules

I'm interested in seeing Hayes, Gladney and Wesley, we will need 1 if not more of these guys to step up with the loss of Julien. I think this team will struggle early with so much youth off the bench, but once the youngsters figure it out, we could move 1 of them into the starting lineup and have Miller or Russell off the bench as a spark. I hate having very little consistent scorers on the bench.

We shall see, that was the luxury that we had with Russell, Miller and Stove on the bench last season. The ability to have scorers on the bench. I am sure we will figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

Starting 5

PG Stroman
    G Marquetti
    G Russell
    F Gant
    F Miller

Bench will be very young with the exception of Davis and Hardy who have been very inconsistent in their young careers.

Hayes
    Hardy
    Davis
    Gladney
    Wesley

Others

Aucoin
    Lafayette

Julien Injury

I'm interested in seeing Hayes, Gladney and Wesley, we will need 1 if not more of these guys to step up with the loss of Julien. I think this team will struggle early with so much youth off the bench, but once the youngsters figure it out, we could move 1 of them into the starting lineup and have Miller or Russell off the bench as a spark. I hate having very little consistent scorers on the bench.

We shall see, that was the luxury that we had with Russell, Miller and Stove on the bench last season. The ability to have scorers on the bench. I am sure we will figure it out
    The depth looks awfully short. I think losing Stove,Washington and Bartley is gonna hurt A LOT. Lets pray all players stay injury free this year. One or two bang ups and we could be in major depth trouble.

As light on his feet as he's looked at times earlier in his career, I'm anxious to see how Justin looks after dropping 20 lbs.

On a positive note. We are ranked in the top 100 according to http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/.reviews?page=2

#75 out of the 144 teams they have ranked.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    On a positive note. We are ranked in the top 100 according to http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/.reviews?page=2

#75 out of the 144 teams they have ranked.
    Nice write up and projection on the team. They have more confidence in the team than a lot of us have.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

Starting 5

PG Stroman
    G Marquetti
    G Russell
    F Gant
    F Miller

Hayes
    Hardy
    Davis
    Gladney
    Wesley

Others

Aucoin
    Lafayette

Julien Injury

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hayes starting over Russell. Going by his JUCO stats he has the ability to score both inside and outside of the 3 point line as well as get to the free throw line. I'm not sure how well Hayes game will transfer to D1 ball or if Russell has been able to develop more of his game beyond outside shooting but as of now that's just my guess, leave Russell as that spark off the bench.
    I also think Lafayette could be a diamond in the rough. I think his size will be needed this year, I hope somehow he managed to find the 20 pounds that Miller lost.

I think the cynics here are going to be pleasantly surprised with our teams for the next 2-3 years. If we’re not better than last year’s team, we’re very close.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I think the cynics here are going to be pleasantly surprised with our teams for the next 2-3 years. If we’re not better than last year’s team, we’re very close.
    Pretty confident. We lost a lot of leadership and consistency. I wouldn’t be surprised if we finished top 2 in the league but only cause the sun belt is a terrible basketball conference

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I really hope so. With the Sunbelt so weak, we should dominate every year like last year. PS: and go DANCING!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information