Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pre Season Basketball Notes

Default Re: Pre Season Basketball Notes

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I would think it would be more about his recovery than the play of his teammates.
    I think what he was getting at is that Julien will not be 100% by January. If we played him and pulled the redshirt, you are pulling it because we may feel we need him. He may be at 80% or 90% or some level shy of full capacity for which he can play but we may not get our best out of him. I think that is the point Hatch is making.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I think what he was getting at is that Julien will not be 100% by January. If we played him and pulled the redshirt, you are pulling it because we may feel we need him. He may be at 80% or 90% or some level shy of full capacity for which he can play but we may not get our best out of him. I think that is the point Hatch is making.
    K. I would hope you wouldn't pull it without him being 100%. I would assume he would have already missed practicing for most if not all of the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    K. I would hope you wouldn't pull it without him being 100%. I would assume ye would have already missed practicing for most if not all of the fall.
    Well, that's a decision to be made between the coaches and the player. He may not be 100% but maybe he's close enough in his mind to help the team. I think what Hatch was saying that hopefully the other players will be picking up the slack enough to where its not even a thought unless Julien is absolutely 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Well, that's a decision to be made between the coaches and the player. He may not be 100% but maybe he's close enough in his mind to help the team. I think what Hatch was saying that hopefully the other players will be picking up the slack enough to where its not even a thought unless Julien is absolutely 100%.
    Yes exactly, I think that injury happened in Mid February I don't see how he could be at 100% by the end of this semester. I know Hayes was signed to pick up the slack after the injury, but I see him more as a 2 and Julien as a 3. That's why I mentioned Marquetti and Davis. Both of them have shown at times they can be great, if they can just show some consistency I don't think there would be a need to bring Julien in halfway through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Yes exactly, I think that injury happened in Mid February I don't see how he could be at 100% by the end of this semester. I know Hayes was signed to pick up the slack after the injury, but I see him more as a 2 and Julien as a 3. That's why I mentioned Marquetti and Davis. Both of them have shown at times they can be great, if they can just show some consistency I don't think there would be a need to bring Julien in halfway through the season.
    I agree. Although Coach said he is ahead of schedule, I see no reason to take any risk. Now if he is 100% by the time conference play starts I may consider it. Odds of that are very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I agree. Although Coach said he is ahead of schedule, I see no reason to take any risk. Now if he is 100% by the time conference play starts I may consider it. Odds of that are very slim.
    I would agree but it would be interesting to see Julien playing with Gant and Marquetti and Stroman though. I have no doubt that if he wasn't injured this past season, he'd be starting alongside them.

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    GSU and who? UTA? Nah. GaSo? Nah. ULM? Lol
    Georgia Southern will be every bit as good as last year with Tookie Brown and Ike Smith coming back. UTA will take a step back.

Go ahead and laugh at ULM. They will be vastly improved this season and could easily finish in the top four of the league.

Also, watch out for App State. They were the 5 seed last year, their best player in Shabazz returns and they have two guys from good schools who sat out last year who are now eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Georgia Southern will be every bit as good as last year with Tookie Brown and Ike Smith coming back. UTA will take a step back.

Go ahead and laugh at ULM. They will be vastly improved this season and could easily finish in the top four of the league.

Also, watch out for App State. They were the 5 seed last year, their best player in Shabazz returns and they have two guys from good schools who sat out last year who are now eligible.
    I will laugh at them. It doesn’t change the fact that the sunbelt is still a terrible basketball conference.

I will laugh at them. It doesn’t change the fact that the sunbelt is still a terrible basketball conference.
    I imagine you are using hyperbole with the word “terrible”. Last year league was 18th of over 30 conferences and year before they were 13th. I understand terrible is a very subjective term. Personally I would say terrible is in the 20’s. Others may say anything outside the Top 10 is terrible. I suspect league will be in the mid to lower teens again this year.

10. Default Re: Pre Season Basketball Notes

"Terrible" is obviously unacceptable, and unacceptable can fall anywhere you deem, but a declaration of terrible has to fall in the bottom half to be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I imagine you are using hyperbole with the word “terrible”. Last year league was 18th of over 30 conferences and year before they were 13th. I understand terrible is a very subjective term. Personally I would say terrible is in the 20’s. Others may say anything outside the Top 10 is terrible. I suspect league will be in the mid to lower teens again this year.
    College basketball as a whole is pretty bad these days Mike. We ran through the conference last year and before we lost to GSU, the average margin of victory was around 15-20 points. I could be wrong but I don’t think any of our conference games were decided by less than 10 points other than the conference tournament loss.

College basketball as a whole is pretty bad these days Mike. We ran through the conference last year and before we lost to GSU, the average margin of victory was around 15-20 points. I could be wrong but I don’t think any of our conference games were decided by less than 10 points other than the conference tournament loss.
    I think we had one game against Texas State that was relatively close. Of course that is because they play a patient style. I won't argue that the state of the college game is not at it's best. When you use the word terrible however, you are comparing it against other schools, not history.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I listened to the interview with Marlin posted in the other thread. He said redshirting Julien would be evaluated after this semester. I really hope they can see enough production from Marquetti and Davis in the early non conference games to where they don't see the need to pull that redshirt going into conference play.
    I heard today doctors recommend a 12 month recovery time from this injury. That date won't arrive until February. That now makes me convinced he won't play this year regardless of how quickly he seems to progress.

14. UL Basketball Re: Pre Season Basketball Notes

Actually college basketball is better than ever, except for the very top. And that's because Duke, and other elite programs are losing their best players to the NBA sooner than ever.

15. Default Re: Pre Season Basketball Notes

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Actually college basketball is better than ever, except for the very top. And that's because Duke, and other elite programs are losing their best players to the NBA sooner than ever.
    Not sure if serious...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information