Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Enrollment 2018

Default Enrollment 2018

According to a press release from the university, a total of 19,387 students registered for the fall 2018 semester. That's up from the 19,291 who enrolled in the fall of 2017.

UL's graduate programs saw the largest gain from 2017: There are 2,050 graduate students currently enrolled, a 25 percent increase in one year.

Dr. Mary Farmer-Kaiser, dean of the Graduate School, said the increase is due to efforts to "expand access to graduate education."

"We saw significant growth in the online MBA program, which is the single largest contributor. We also saw great growth in online programs like counselor education, educational leadership, engineering, informatics, mathematics and psychology, to name a few," Farmer-Kaiser said.

The cumulative GPA of the freshman class is 3.4. Its average ACT score is 24. Both are the highest in University history.

2,733 freshmen

Default Re: Enrollment 2018

I'm a bit concerned with the reduction in undergrads. Hopefully the University is researching that.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    I'm a bit concerned with the reduction in undergrads. Hopefully the University is researching that.
    I don't think there is need for concern: there are valid reasons for undergrads to level off-even decrease a bit.the emphasis is now is increasing grad school numbers.

https://forumeus.com/.-amp-WR)/page5

I kind of like the idea of a capped enrollment and becoming more selective. Increase graduate school enrollment and develop a better reputation as a university.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I don't think there is need for concern: there are valid reasons for undergrads to level off-even decrease a bit.the emphasis is now is increasing grad school numbers.

If UL wants to pay for my tuition, I'll roll my sleeves up and help them with their grad school numbers.

A new Engineering build would boost those numbers

higher admission standards explains a temporary drop in enrollment

I'm confused about your concerns being we increased our undergraduate numbers by a total of 96 students over the last year. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I'm confused about your concerns being we increased our undergraduate numbers by a total of 96 students over the last year. Am I missing something?

Undergrad numbers actually went down from 2017 to 2018. The numbers reported in the first paragraph were TOTAL students. The graduate school students went up 25%. They are not considered undergrads.

Undergrad numbers actually went down from 2017 to 2018. The numbers reported in the first paragraph were TOTAL students. The graduate school students went up 25%. They are not considered undergrads.
    Got it! The devil is in the detail.which I obviously missed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post

We need to increase both 1st time freshman and graduate. It is even more important to continue to improve our retainment numbers. They are trending in the right direction but we still have room for improvement. The continual increase in GPA and ACT scores are positives for retainment. LSU A&M lowering their requirements is having a direct impact on our freshmen class. It will probably be a larger impact next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cypremort View Post
    We need to increase both 1st time freshman and graduate. It is even more important to continue to improve our retainment numbers. They are trending in the right direction but we still have room for improvement. The continual increase in GPA and ACT scores are positives for retainment. LSU A&M lowering their requirements is having a direct impact on our freshmen class. It will probably be a larger impact next year.
    addition through subtraction better students equals more students going to stay at UL to get their Masters especially with the current job market around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    addition through subtraction better students equals more students going to stay at UL to get their Masters especially with the current job market around the country.
    More graduate students means more research. We know where that leads. This is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    More graduate students means more research. We know where that leads. This is good news.
    Yes but increase in undergraduates mean more money for the university. Graduate students are revenue neutral and in many cases are an expense.

Would you count grad students in total enrollment?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information