Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Correction: There has never been a ULL

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I honestly don’t give two ____s what they call us, as long as we make a game of it. I’m sick and tired of the “What did they call us?” as we get our asses kicked.
    I understand but regardless of the score I want the be called Louisiana! This is if we win, lose, or tie.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    In 1995, the state of Louisiana passed legislation allowing the universities of its University of Louisiana system to rebrand themselves. Southwestern Louisiana became University of Louisiana . at Lafayette and Northeastern Louisiana became University of Louisiana at Monroe in the next four years. All of both schools' modern headlines came under those monikers: ULM was ULM when it beat Alabama, it was ULM when it made headlines in changing its mascot from Indians to Warhawks and it was ULM when it joined the Sun Belt in 2001. ul was ULL when it joined the Sun Belt in 2001 and it was ULL when it was good in the early 2010s under Mark Hudspeth. Nationally, both of those schools are known as UL/UL Lafayette and ULM/UL Monroe.

Now the Ragin' Cajuns are trying to tell you the University of Louisiana is coming to Starkville. Even though the law tells you such a thing does not exist.

That law in 1995? It states the schools must reference their host cities in their name.

Yet, UL Lafayette athletics is ignoring it. It's important to mention that the in-state debate has skewed toward the law not applying to athletics -- plus, ULM inexplicably hasn't fought that hard and allowed this to happen. It's so clear that this is nothing more than a branding effort -- why would a university rebrand itself unless it has something to gain? -- and I'm sure there are things to gain by labelling yourself as the flagship university of a state as prideful as Louisiana.

In my opinion, this is a simple matter. UL Lafayette is who you are to the majority, just like the University of Texas at Austin is Texas and the University of Mississippi is Ole Miss to the grander college football world. People would look at me funny if I referenced either of those two schools as the former name, just because it's weird; just like it's weird to reference a standalone University of Louisiana when the majority has never known one to exist.

(Hello, friends from the bayou. I'm sure there's some Louisiana person out there who's going to read this, get #triggered and share it out in the UL Lafayette internet so you all can get mad and scream at me, and that's fine. Just letting you know here that I don't care and I'm not gonna respond. I'm perfectly comfortable in angering niche Louisiana Internet; ask Louisiana Tech fans about my take on Johnny's Pizza.)

Dispatch sports writer Brett Hudson on Twitter @Brett_Hudson
    I don't care and I won't respond, but i'll write a 500 word essay on how much I don't care about it. M'kay dude.

I use the same response on Twitter every single time to this stuff.

I literally have never received a single crackback, which is saying something if you know anything about Twitter.

Retweet with comment: "I can see that this matters a great deal to you, for some reason."

Argument over.

UL Football Re: Correction: There has never been a ULL

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    @Brett_Hudson is armed with half truths and a full quill of assumptions.

There has never been a UL Lafayette athletics.
    Act 45 (Appendix A) of the 1995 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature

Guidelines Part III

The use of the two-letter University of Louisiana abbreviation, "UL," and/or the
    phrase "U of L" are prohibited by the university or any of its affiliated organizations
    (alumni associations, development foundations, bookstores, etc.). For academic,
    public relations, ****athletic*****, as well as other purposes not specified, the use of the
    University of Louisiana abbreviation must always include the abbreviation for the
    municipal location of the institution.

http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/.e_policies.pdf

Default Re: Correction: There has never been a ULL

Thank you for making our point - this only applies to abbreviations - Louisiana Ragin Cajuns is our athletic nickname, and has been accepted as such by Sunbelt and NCAA, and by ESPN. Of course, the entitled LSU trolls are like Cory Booker

Dude is trying to get us to swing at one in the dirt again.

Best thing we can do is point to the jersey after the game and make them say our name.

Why does this guy care? Are we some kind of threat to MS ST?

He is just a guy trying to get his name out there by stirring the pot. He has as much name recognition as I do.

Treat him like the streaker at a football game and don't give him the attention he is so desperate to get.

Just my $.02

Guy says he does not care, but references legislation passed by a state government (other than his own) in 1995. I think him having a firm stance on this is way more perplexing than even our most fanatical name-debate zealots.

He's still p_i_s_s_e_d that his baseball team got their A_$_$_e_s handed to them in the Regional a few years ago. He's just trying to get a rise out of Cajun fans. Just ignore him for being the little bug that he is.

ask him why cowbells fall under sec regs, not ncaa?

http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/aasp?aid=33809

11. Default Re: Correction: There has never been a ULL

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    Act 45 (Appendix A) of the 1995 Regular Session of the Louisiana Legislature

Guidelines Part III

The use of the two-letter University of Louisiana abbreviation, "UL," and/or the
    phrase "U of L" are prohibited by the university or any of its affiliated organizations
    (alumni associations, development foundations, bookstores, etc.). For academic,
    public relations, ****athletic*****, as well as other purposes not specified, the use of the
    University of Louisiana abbreviation must always include the abbreviation for the
    municipal location of the institution.

http://www.ulsystem.net/assets/docs/.e_policies.pdf
    Hello. His premise is wrong and yours moreso because you should know better but insist on this red herring.

The Cajuns are not -as he claims- waltzing in there as "University of Louisiana" rather they are going as "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns"

Two nicknames that go great together.

This guy needs to go pick on Alabama auburn or lsua&mbr and explain how they all have been ms st’s b!+€h over the years. Really dude you reference Louisiana and tech in your article. You get your thrills from picking on G 5s. Why don’t you focus on winning your conference at least once.

Yes ULL is a moniker for the legal
    name of the university. The athletic brand Ident is acceptable as well it is only a brand for athletics and nothing else! Let’s try Uni of Tex @ Austin or LSU & a & m college. So now Louisiana Ragin Cajuns is only a brand. And yes a brand can create a more notable identity for Louisiana Ragin Cajun athletics well abreast and in compliance wth the law. A brand is a brand and nothing else.
    So Louisiana home of the Ragin Cajuns is off to Starksville on Saturday. We will see you guys
    Soon. Go Louisiana Ragin Cajuns!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    In 1995, the state of Louisiana passed legislation allowing the universities of its University of Louisiana system to rebrand themselves. Southwestern Louisiana became University of Louisiana . at Lafayette and Northeastern Louisiana became University of Louisiana at Monroe in the next four years. All of both schools' modern headlines came under those monikers: ULM was ULM when it beat Alabama, it was ULM when it made headlines in changing its mascot from Indians to Warhawks and it was ULM when it joined the Sun Belt in 2001. ul was ULL when it joined the Sun Belt in 2001 and it was ULL when it was good in the early 2010s under Mark Hudspeth. Nationally, both of those schools are known as UL/UL Lafayette and ULM/UL Monroe.

Now the Ragin' Cajuns are trying to tell you the University of Louisiana is coming to Starkville. Even though the law tells you such a thing does not exist.

That law in 1995? It states the schools must reference their host cities in their name.

Yet, UL Lafayette athletics is ignoring it. It's important to mention that the in-state debate has skewed toward the law not applying to athletics -- plus, ULM inexplicably hasn't fought that hard and allowed this to happen. It's so clear that this is nothing more than a branding effort -- why would a university rebrand itself unless it has something to gain? -- and I'm sure there are things to gain by labelling yourself as the flagship university of a state as prideful as Louisiana.

In my opinion, this is a simple matter. UL Lafayette is who you are to the majority, just like the University of Texas at Austin is Texas and the University of Mississippi is Ole Miss to the grander college football world. People would look at me funny if I referenced either of those two schools as the former name, just because it's weird; just like it's weird to reference a standalone University of Louisiana when the majority has never known one to exist.

(Hello, friends from the bayou. I'm sure there's some Louisiana person out there who's going to read this, get #triggered and share it out in the UL Lafayette internet so you all can get mad and scream at me, and that's fine. Just letting you know here that I don't care and I'm not gonna respond. I'm perfectly comfortable in angering niche Louisiana Internet; ask Louisiana Tech fans about my take on Johnny's Pizza.)

Dispatch sports writer Brett Hudson on Twitter @Brett_Hudson

14. Default Re: Correction: There has never been a ULL

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Hello. His premise is wrong and yours moreso because you should know better but insist on this red herring.

The Cajuns are not -as he claims- waltzing in there as "University of Louisiana" rather they are going as "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns"

Two nicknames that go great together.
    He may be related to Cajunrunner.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginKid View Post
    Yes ULL is a moniker for the legal
    name of the university. The athletic brand Ident is acceptable as well it is only a brand for athletics and nothing else! Let’s try Uni of Tex @ Austin or LSU & a & m college. So now Louisiana Ragin Cajuns is only a brand. And yes a brand can create a more notable identity for Louisiana Ragin Cajun athletics well abreast and in compliance wth the law. A brand is a brand and nothing else.
    So Louisiana home of the Ragin Cajuns is off to Starksville on Saturday. We will see you guys
    Soon. Go Louisiana Ragin Cajuns!!
    ULL is an incorrect moniker in every instance. The University has never accepted the second L. This is on the University website, media guide and communicated to every school we play. LA is the abbreviation, Louisiana on the score board.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information