Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Burnt Roux: Tyreek Smith commits to Texas A&M

UL Basketball Burnt Roux: Tyreek Smith commits to Texas A&M

Default Re: UL makes 4 Star Tyreek Smith top 5

Smith spoke with GatorsTerritory.com and told us why each of the five schools made his list.

Louisiana-Lafayette: They have a nice program. I think everybody doubts them because they’re not a high major program but I feel like if you have talent you can make it from anywhere. Plus I like the coaching staff. They’ve been on me really hard and they believe in me.

LSU: It’s a new coaching staff and they have a big plan to switch the whole program around. It’s mainly a football school but they’re trying to change it up and do big things. They believe in me and my style of play so I’m giving them a chance. Plus that’s my hometown.

VCU: Another school that’s not high major but like I said before you can make it from anywhere. I like their style of play. They let their bigs push it up the floor and they give their bigs a lot of freedom. It’s a basketball school, they don’t have a football team so it’s mainly basketball and they support the basketball team a lot. I really like the coaching staff as well.

Texas A&M: Another school that has been on me real hard since my sophomore year. They compare me to the guy who went in the draft to the (Boston) Celtics, Robert Williams, which alone was big because he had a big impact at Texas A&M. So for them to compare me to him, that’s a lot. And I like the coaching staff.

Florida: Coach Al (Pinkins) was on me real hard since the start of the AAU season and that showed a lot. He really believes in me and so I gave him a chance. We text every day, we talk about Florida a lot and he wants me on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    Smith spoke with GatorsTerritory.com and told us why each of the five schools made his list.

Louisiana-Lafayette: They have a nice program. I think everybody doubts them because they’re not a high major program but I feel like if you have talent you can make it from anywhere. Plus I like the coaching staff. They’ve been on me really hard and they believe in me.

LSU: It’s a new coaching staff and they have a big plan to switch the whole program around. It’s mainly a football school but they’re trying to change it up and do big things. They believe in me and my style of play so I’m giving them a chance. Plus that’s my hometown.

VCU: Another school that’s not high major but like I said before you can make it from anywhere. I like their style of play. They let their bigs push it up the floor and they give their bigs a lot of freedom. It’s a basketball school, they don’t have a football team so it’s mainly basketball and they support the basketball team a lot. I really like the coaching staff as well.

Texas A&M: Another school that has been on me real hard since my sophomore year. They compare me to the guy who went in the draft to the (Boston) Celtics, Robert Williams, which alone was big because he had a big impact at Texas A&M. So for them to compare me to him, that’s a lot. And I like the coaching staff.

Florida: Coach Al (Pinkins) was on me real hard since the start of the AAU season and that showed a lot. He really believes in me and so I gave him a chance. We text every day, we talk about Florida a lot and he wants me on campus.
    At least he is given UL a hard look. It's difficult to compete against programs that can offer more exposure and invest more money into MBB.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    At least he is given UL a hard look. It's difficult to compete against programs that can offer more exposure and invest more money into MBB.
    I agree but I'm really optimistic because this kid seems to get that you don't have to go to Duke to make it. He also seems to have some good priorities in order to decide such as school atmosphere and coaching relationships. Time to shine Marlin!

5. Default Re: UL makes 4 Star Tyreek Smith top 5

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I agree but I'm really optimistic because this kid seems to get that you don't have to go to Duke to make it. He also seems to have some good priorities in order to decide such as school atmosphere and coaching relationships. Time to shine Marlin!
    Yes, like don't shatte the bed against the worst team in the conference with a major recruit in the house.

I don't remember the players name but on Coach Marlin's Twitter page a few days ago he liked a post of someone who listed us in his Top 3. Other schools were Tulsa and Weber State. Maybe Josh knows who that guy is. As far as Smith is concerned they told him we can make him a focal point whereas he is likely just to be another guy at a higher profile school. Of course that is a common message given to guys of his stature from the mid majors.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Yes, like don't shatte the bed against the worst team in the conference with a major recruit in the house.
    I will give Marlin credit; he usually only shattes the bed at home against teams in the top 150 or so. Little Rock last year was anomolous.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

There's not a chance in you know where that he signs with UL. He listed us as a courtesy, but I appreciate it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Well, we know its because Gant was sick. Get that guy a lifetime supply of Vitamin C and an IV ready. We need him to be healthy when this kid comes in for his visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    There's not a chance in you know where that he signs with UL. He listed us as a courtesy, but I appreciate it anyway.
    Unlike Jordan Brown, there is no real reason to list us as a courtesy. His father didn't play and become a well known player here. He didn't have to if he didn't truly contemplate coming here. Having said that, a lot depends on how this season goes for him. He may get even bigger offers later on as different guys commit and he becomes more coveted. I would say you are right that its not likely he comes here but I won't dismiss the possibility completely.

Unlike Jordan Brown, there is no real reason to list us as a courtesy. His father didn't play and become a well known player here. He didn't have to if he didn't truly contemplate coming here. Having said that, a lot depends on how this season goes for him. He may get even bigger offers later on as different guys commit and he becomes more coveted. I would say you are right that its not likely he comes here but I won't dismiss the possibility completely.
    Part of the connection with Smith may be the fact he is originally from Baton Rouge. Jonathon Stove and Frank Bartley are from there and did well here.

Well, we know its because Gant was sick. Get that guy a lifetime supply of Vitamin C and an IV ready. We need him to be healthy when this kid comes in for his visit.
    Gant was sick in the conference tournament but he played against Little Rock. He played poorly and took too many threes after he went cold. After the game, some staff members lamented they did not replace him with Justin Miller late in the contest. Stove's ankle injury which limited him only to the first couple of minutes was the big factor in a dreadful performance on senior night. An even bigger issue was the team simply did not respect their opponent and did not prepare properly. The staff knows that was on them.

Plays at a private school in Cedar Hill, Tx. Isn't there a footballer or 2 on the roster from that town?

Default Re: UL in 4 Star Tyreek Smith's Top-5

It is nice to see our name out there. Even if we don’t get him, he has put our name out there for other recruits to see. It’s like free advertising on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Gant was sick in the conference tournament but he played against Little Rock. He played poorly and took too many threes after he went cold. After the game, some staff members lamented they did not replace him with Justin Miller late in the contest. Stove's ankle injury which limited him only to the first couple of minutes was the big factor in a dreadful performance on senior night. An even bigger issue was the team simply did not respect their opponent and did not prepare properly. The staff knows that was on them.
    Mike, it was a joke based on all the excuses we heard about how we lost to the worst team in the conference on our home court for Senior night.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information