Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

1. Default Re: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    While I'm not certain on all the various possibilities I know for certain that Ragin Cajuns is trademarked by the University. As such any use of it is illegal unless licensed through the school who in reality uses Collegiate Licensing as do most universities. You probably would not have any problem with a t-shirt, for example, that said "Louisiana Football". Using University of Louisiana without the Lafayette might be a problem with the UL system but not positive how that name is protected.
    I hope I'm wrong on this but I'm afraid UL failed to secure an all encompassing "Ragin Cajuns" trademark.

Meaning as long as the logo isn't used, or the topic is unrelated to athletics, they can't prevent a rollercoaster or a restaurant (for example) from using the name.

I hope I am wrong.

Default Re: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I hope I'm wrong on this but I'm afraid UL failed to secure an all encompassing "Ragin Cajuns" trademark.

Meaning as long as the logo isn't used, or the topic is unrelated to athletics, they can't prevent a rollercoaster or a restaurant (for example) from using the name.

I hope I am wrong.
    Your not wrong but that isn't real uncommon. However to my knowledge it has been secured for apparel and food items.

3. Default Re: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

Your not wrong but that isn't real uncommon. However to my knowledge it has been secured for apparel and food items.
    Well that's good news.

While I'm not certain on all the various possibilities I know for certain that Ragin Cajuns is trademarked by the University. As such any use of it is illegal unless licensed through the school who in reality uses Collegiate Licensing as do most universities. You probably would not have any problem with a t-shirt, for example, that said "Louisiana Football". Using University of Louisiana without the Lafayette might be a problem with the UL system but not positive how that name is protected.
    "Louisiana Football, Louisiana, Cajuns, etc is generic and cannot be trademarked. I have a deeply embedded fear that as time passes we should not be surprised if a visiting team like McNeese or La Tech took our field one night with "Louisiana" plastered on their uniforms. The heart of this matter is the rules state we cannot use UL or University of Louisiana in any manner on any matter without adding the designated city location if the university is officially involved.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbfounded View Post
    "Louisiana Football, Louisiana, Cajuns, etc is generic and cannot be trademarked. I have a deeply embedded fear that as time passes we should not be surprised if a visiting team like McNeese or La Tech took our field one night with "Louisiana" plastered on their uniforms. The heart of this matter is the rules state we cannot use UL or University of Louisiana in any manner on any matter without adding the designated city location if the university is officially involved.
    Yeah, I had asked a lawyer friend about that some time ago, when I saw a "Ragin Cajun" restaurant in Houston, I beleive. If I remember right, we cannot 'own' all references to that, as it is too generic, but we can (and do) own the rights to it when it pertains to athletics.
    And I definelty don't think we have to worry about another school.even those two losers.wearing "Louisiana" on their jersey, as it is too much our brand now. If they did it would just make crystal clear to the entire world the stupidity these people have over our name.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yeah, I had asked a lawyer friend about that some time ago, when I saw a "Ragin Cajun" restaurant in Houston, I beleive. If I remember right, we cannot 'own' all references to that, as it is too generic, but we can (and do) own the rights to it when it pertains to athletics.
    And I definelty don't think we have to worry about another school.even those two losers.wearing "Louisiana" on their jersey, as it is too much our brand now. If they did it would just make crystal clear to the entire world the stupidity these people have over our name.
    Well you do know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Anyone stupid enough to forfeit their branding in envy/spite.is doing UL a huge favor.

8. Default Re: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

McNeese has already hit the floor with Ragin' Cajuns emblazoned across their chest.

McNeese has already hit the floor with Ragin' Cajuns emblazoned across their chest.

And they pretty much stole wyomings bucking horse logo, so were forced to change it a while back.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    And they pretty much stole wyomings bucking horse logo, so were forced to change it a while back.
    After living in Lafayette most of my life I moved to Anchorage. One of my clients here graduated from Wyoming University. The first time I visited his office I saw the Wyoming University flag and asked him what ties he had to McNeese. He said Mc-Who?

This must have been before my time. Tell me more.

13. Default Re: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    This must have been before my time. Tell me more.
    2005 I think a few months after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

They forgot/left their uniforms back in Lake Charles, and UL loaned them their road or practice uniforms for the game.

It was in Blackham.

2005 I think a few months after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

They forgot/left their uniforms back in Lake Charles, and UL loaned them their road or practice uniforms for the game.

It was in Blackham.
    I was at that game. Didn't Southhall dress out that night?

15. Default Re: 'ULL' 2018 Football Schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I was at that game. Didn't Southhall dress out that night?
    Yes and Don Allen called the game. . If I recall. But I don't recall the situation that made that possible. (

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information