Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Year in and year out rival?

Default Year in and year out rival?

I’m hoping someone can answer this question better than I can, since leaving the Southland UL hasn’t established a true rival in my opinion. I do believe the Sunbelt does have good competition but doesn’t quite have a team that can be competitive with us year in and year out in all sports and still be geographically close which would make fan bases willing to travel back and fourth besides maybe South Alabama. Why hasnt the university tried to establish a rivalry with a another team out of conference such as Rice, Houston, Tulane, La Tech, Southern Miss, or maybe even SMU?

2. Default Re: Year in and year out rival?

All sports, or do you have a particular one in mind?

Default Re: Year in and year out rival?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuns1252 View Post
    Why hasnt the university tried to establish a rivalry with a another team out of conference such as Rice, Houston, Tulane, La Tech, Southern Miss, or maybe even SMU?
    They have. The last thing those schools want is a rivalry with little ole USL or ULaLa or whatever dig they want to throw our way. The only thing they are interested in is separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    All sports, or do you have a particular one in mind?
    Football mainly because that’s the sport it’s easiest for people to travel for, but I would love to see the same rival kept and played every year in baseball, basketball and softball.

With only four non conference games, it's difficult to do. Louisiana Tech would be the one but they aren't interested.

Dr. Maggard said in a recent interview he's having trouble getting some games period, mainly because so many schools have games scheduled through 2025.

Simply put, the answer SHOULD be Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Yep and our football rival instead is hands down Arkansas state.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I would much rather Tulane over tech if we’re staying in state JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    Yep and our football rival instead is hands down Arkansas state.
    I agree and I love having stAte as our rival, it’s just hard to make the 6.5 hour drive some times.

10. Default Re: Year in and year out rival?

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Dr. Maggard said in a recent interview he's having trouble getting some games period, mainly because so many schools have games scheduled through 2025.
    You recruit to imagination and schedule to time travel oblivion.

The further off it is the better the odds of an inconsequential "ok."

It's a crying shame that Maggard walked into a situation where he had to worry about anything before 2025.

I’m hoping someone can answer this question better than I can, since leaving the Southland UL hasn’t established a true rival in my opinion. I do believe the Sunbelt does have good competition but doesn’t quite have a team that can be competitive with us year in and year out in all sports and still be geographically close which would make fan bases willing to travel back and fourth besides maybe South Alabama. Why hasnt the university tried to establish a rivalry with a another team out of conference such as Rice, Houston, Tulane, La Tech, Southern Miss, or maybe even SMU?
    Teams have to agree to play and scheduling is not easy for a G5 team. It's easier to say "just play all of the similar schools near you in all sports" than it is to actually do it.

Also, it's tough to create a rivalry. Simply playing often doesn't lend itself to the type of intensity and hatred that a rivalry does. We play ULM in everything every year and I don't see them as a rival in anything. The games have to be competitive and mean something.

We have Sunbelt rivals in individual sports, but just not in general. stAte for football because we have a history and the games have been for the most part great for several years. They also have controversy. South Al in diamond sports. Georgia State in men's basketball, although they are pretty much ruling that series.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I would choose Houston. Not a bad drive. They have great facilities and something to do before and after the games and its easy to make it a weekend thing. Ruston, Hattiesburg? Not so much.

I would much rather Tulane over tech if we’re staying in state JMO.
    Tech cares more about sports/football. It's much more exciting, in my opinion, to go up against them in any sport.

We had a good rivalry with La Tech post southland as an independent and in the big west.

The league is trying to force feed ULM as a huge rival.

Louisiana v Louisiana Tech would be one of the best rivalries in the country if we played every year. Big hatred both ways. The key to any good rivalry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information