Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown-Cajun Country

Default "A Perfect Day in Lafayette"

Don't know who was able to watch the latest version of "Parts Unknown" last night, but if you haven't, do yourself a favor and find a replay of it. It was about Cajun Mardi Gras and featured stories about Mamou, Grand Coteau and Lafayette. It was fantastic.
    Also, this clip about Lafayette was spot-on as well. Lots of references to "UL" in it, and scenes from campus and the nearby areas.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/sout.-in-lafayette/

Ragin' Cajuns Re: "A Perfect Day in Lafayette"

saw it. just a great show case of the region. really shone a positive light on acadiana. i had heard previously how much bourdain loved the area. it showed in this episode.

Default Re: "A Perfect Day in Lafayette"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    saw it. just a great show case of the region. really shone a positive light on acadiana. i had heard previously how much bourdain loved the area. it showed in this episode.
    Yep, well said. And if yall click on the link you will see that he feels the same way about Lafayette itself. I will keep this clip for anyone who asks 'what to do or where to go?' while here.

4. Default Re: "A Perfect Day in Lafayette"

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yep, well said. And if yall click on the link you will see that he feels the same way about Lafayette itself. I will keep this clip for anyone who asks 'what to do or where to go?' while here.
    .Just another weapon in the recruiting warscULture really beats cuLTure.Geaux Cajuns.look forward to a lot of ULULating this year! Aaaaaaaheeeeee!!! T-Bine, hope you enjoy this one! Lol

Default Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown-Cajun Country

Here is the video of the episode :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AJG_1BoGWu8

Default Re: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown-Cajun Country

This is why we have the best tailgating in the country. I think the University has an obligation to celebrate Cajun and Creole Culture. We did this as soon as we switch the nickname to Ragin Cajuns, and we do one heck of a job doing it.

I think it would be smart to do Trail Rides with horses coming into Cajun Field during the Cajun Walk, very small number of floats, have people dressed in Cajun Mardi Gras attire. It would be cool to bring back Cajun Man, and we actually just dress our next mascot in just Cajun Mardi Gras attire. Think we need to go deeper to embrace the area around Lafayette, and try to make it exciting for people in New Iberia, Abbeville, Opelousas, Eunice to want to come to the games. I am not saying we don't do that, but we need to kick it up a notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    This is why we have the best tailgating in the country. I think the University has an obligation to celebrate Cajun and Creole Culture. We did this as soon as we switch the nickname to Ragin Cajuns, and we do one heck of a job doing it.

I think it would be smart to do Trail Rides with horses coming into Cajun Field during the Cajun Walk, very small number of floats, have people dressed in Cajun Mardi Gras attire. It would be cool to bring back Cajun Man, and we actually just dress our next mascot in just Cajun Mardi Gras attire. Think we need to go deeper to embrace the area around Lafayette, and try to make it exciting for people in New Iberia, Abbeville, Opelousas, Eunice to want to come to the games. I am not saying we don't do that, but we need to kick it up a notch.
    This was a prominent part of the Alden report, and as such I am sure we will start seeing more and more of that kind of stuff in the very near future. Can't happen soon enough for me.

Sorry, I thought it was a terrible reflection on the people of Acadiana. Was glad to hear that Grand Coteau is the highest part of Louisiana, I always thought it was Mt. Driskill.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    Sorry, I thought it was a terrible reflection on the people of Acadiana. Was glad to hear that Grand Coteau is the highest part of Louisiana, I always thought it was Mt. Driskill.
    It was both negative and positive in my eyes, It highlighted the history, culture, community, food, music etc. . Now the negative It’s Mardi Gras in Mamou, which we know people get special around that time. Some of the traditions seem backwards, but to me he was pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchwarmer View Post
    Yeah, that was incorrect. The elevation is listed as 56', which is pretty high for Acadiana. But Mt Driskill is 535 feet.

As for the rest of the episode, on balance I thought it was pretty good. I'm glad he spent some time on the Creole culture, which usually gets short shrift in anything done about Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post

We are off to a good start. We already have a "Roosta" dancing around the tailgating area!!! That ties into the running of the Cajun Mardi Gras. LMFAO!!!

I did not like the kid in the boat. He was pretty much embarrassing himself. The house party dancing in the mud was a bit of a "put-on" for TV.Other than, I thought it was a good portrayal. Herman Fuselier was a good piece to add to that show.

When the drunk guy fell off the roof of the truck, I probably watched that 10 second clip over 20 times.

The point of Bourdain's show was getting off the beaten path, 'Parts Unknown'. Let's face it when traveling a good distance from Louisiana we often express where we live by how many miles away from NOLA or else there's a lost look on the face of the person we're talking to. I thought ending the show at Suire's south of Kaplan was great way to wrap it.

I thought it was well done. Granted, not all of us run the Cajun Mardi Gras in Mamou, Eunice or Church Point, but I have been there and enjoyed taking in the "action". A number of "outsiders" tend to look down on some of what they see, but I don't know many who have actually visited this area and left disappointed!

Didn't know they boarded up Mamou for MG. I travel around the state for my job, nearly everywhere. I'm glad they touched on the black cowboys, which I see frequently in rural parts of south Louisiana. You don't see that everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information