Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown-Cajun Country

1. Default Re: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown-Cajun Country

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I thought it was well done. Granted, not all of us run the Cajun Mardi Gras in Mamou, Eunice or Church Point, but I have been there and enjoyed taking in the "action". A number of "outsiders" tend to look down on some of what they see, but I don't know many who have actually visited this area and left disappointed!
    Are y'all serious. This about as poor a reflection of Cajun and its people as could be depicted.
    C'mom, I was embarrassed. and y'all should be to

Default Re: Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown-Cajun Country

I thought the hosts reaction to receiving ashes was fairly snarky when watching. If not mocking, it felt condescending. Feels weird to know he killed himself shortly thereafter. Was interesting to hear him say that Acadiana has the most European feel of anywhere in the states.

Did he kill himself? Lots of rumors going round.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Did he kill himself? Lots of rumors going round.
    According to French authorities he did.which doesn’t mean anything

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmole View Post
    Are y'all serious. This about as poor a reflection of Cajun and its people as could be depicted.
    C'mom, I was embarrassed. and y'all should be to
    Don't stress yourself out over this. People that take everything so seriously don't usually live to an old age.
    I have heard over the years, some people feel like you do and some that don't have a problem with it. Either opinion has not really affected my life one way or the other. Just relax and carry on.

While i found what was shown to be fine, I think the excessive drinking and the chicken throwing would probably. offend the East and West coast elites. The guy in the air boat drinking beer and hunting was unwise at best. Guns and alcohol don't mix. I suspect the film crew and editors were looking down on the people shown as backwards hayseeds and hicks and left much of the footage in to show how backwards we are in their eyes. It's all a matter of perspective.

I thought the "no reservations" show from years back had a much more representative view of Cajun culture. JMO

I liked that he spoke about prairie-vs-marsh Cajuns and also the discussion he has about what 'creole' means…both from an historical perspective and what it has evolved to. And hey, the MG Run was not pretty to watch, but you have to admit that it was a very accurate depiction of the event. FinallyI really like that he tried to make the point that not everyone in LA lives in NOLA and has beignets at Café Du Monde every morning.

This was a pretty good "Yankee" write up of the episode

https://www.eater.com/2018/6/18/1747.n-11-episode-7

My three favorite quotes from the episode:

Before the run
    "I feel like I should be giving you some sort of parental advisory about disturbing imagery and behaviors, along with a caution not to try any of this at home."

During the run
    "It's kind of like trick or treating, if your Halloween candy moved at high speed and all the other trick-or-treaters were drunk and competing for the same peanut butter cup, like it was the last peanut butter cup on earth and they didn't care if they killed you to get it."

At Laura's
    "I almost want to dig up John Wayne to tell him this: Creoles are widely believed to be the first American cowboys, herding cattle in the plains and bayous of Louisiana long before white dudes in ___-less chaps started showing up in the West. In fact, zydeco music was born out of cowboy culture, the rhythm of the washboard, mimicking the trot of the horse on the trail."

Oh yeah, and when he is at Suire's and says "how come my grocery store doesn't serve food like this?" lol

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    According to French authorities he did.which doesn't mean anything
    They on the case.

Recently I read while he was here Bourdain ate every day at Popeye's on Pinhook.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    They on the case.

Recently I read while he was here Bourdain ate every day at Popeye's on Pinhook.
    Yeah. It said that he kept going back at the Popeye's that had the buffet for 3 straight days and he called it "Exotica". lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun View Post
    Yeah. It said that he kept going back at the Popeye's that had the buffet for 3 straight days and he called it "Exotica". lol.
    Was an Esquire magazine article.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/f.peyes-chicken/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information